Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Speed has dropped below 10%

This is a discussion on Speed has dropped below 10% within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Mine has also been back to normal since Friday evening However this issue does show the need for some sort ...

MaryHinge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Speed has dropped below 10%

Mine has also been back to normal since Friday evening

However this issue does show the need for some sort of network status web page detailing known issues and expected resolution times. This would reduce the load on their support staff.

I was with Plusnet before and give them their due, they were pretty good with that sort of thing.

2. Advertisement
      XPUser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas (EMSTBBS)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I have had a dramatic speed loss over the last few days. I used to get between 4.5 - 5.5MB download speed. Now I am getting between 1.0 - 1.5MB. Not good at all .

After reading the forum, I have unplugged my router..and will reconnect when I get home from work. This will ensure that it is unplugged for over 5 hours. If that doesnt work, will give sky a ring.

I have exceeded my limit of 40GB for this month...My current combined upload/download figure is around 43GB (download is around 39GB). Could this be the reason for it being slowed down?

BlueDevilx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: basildon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Me too with all of the above re; loss of speed/connection. So fed up with it and the whole forum is littered with these problems.

The only thing I haven't found is any answer as to why this keeps happening to people. And what's with the 'special' yellow cable, won't Sky BB work without it?? Is it the colour that has some special properties to it? Don't make no difference to me what cable I use or what colour. Still have decent speeds, (when the connection is working of course)!!

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on Sky as I was until recently using a cable connection and was used to a constant connection 24/7. Is this something that I shouldn't expect with ADSL?? Wish someone had warned me beforehand!!!

XPUser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas (EMSTBBS)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I gave them a ring, last night, and was told it was a BT problem, which I said it wasnt as it was their equipment in the BT exchange. The guy I was talking to cut me of. He obviously figured out I had a brain cell and therefore knew more than him!

Phoned back, and was told since I was using broadband at 7:30pm it was peak time thats why I was getting slow speeds. Explained that I get the same speeds at 11pm and 7:30 am. Was then told this was the first time they had heard of this problem!!...I informed them that this was not true, and there were forums on the internet were other people are having the same problem. He ran a line test and agreed the line was at 1.5MB and I should be getting a higher speed.

In the end he said he would raise a ticket, and Tier 3 would ring me back...we shall see.

Grizzly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've got a 5 day ticket, which (I think) expires tomorrow night that I raised on Monday 26th Feb. It was raised because the mythical Tier 3 have to look into why my Router is reporting back 2048 downstream & the upstream is 416, even though I'm on 8mb Mid package. My BT line is fine and SKY have me definitely down for the Mid Package (and not Base by accident).

I phoned to get any update yesterday and was told they are not allowed to transfer people through to Tier 3 now.

Prior to this ticket, I was also told wait 3 days for my connection to be set up properly.

If I have to call again tomorrow, we're onto about my 8th or 9th phonecall to BB technical support and STILL no further forward.

Happily, I did get my router on time and the swap over from Tiscali was seemless. I'm also connected ok and have suffered no drop-outs as yet (touch wood).

danb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ive got a 16mb line, it syncs up at 15323. Since last week Ive had download speeds of 2mb max. Just rung sky CS, got through to a rep that couldnt speak english fluently, who insisted that he was running speed tests that were returning a speed of 15323.

When I explained that this was the connection speed, not the download speed - he said he would put me on hold while he went to speak to a colleauge - then put the phone down on me after 2 minutes

pwoolley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: littlehampton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
      When I explained that this was the connection speed, not the download speed - he said he would put me on hold while he went to speak to a colleauge - then put the phone down on me after 2 minutes
      Ditto - I had to waste my time explaining the difference between downloads and sync - the out source call centres have not got a grasp of the basics to be of any use IMO.

DJ4Q is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Welcome to my world people.Have pretty much given up on asking SKY for help as they do not and cannot help me.I raised a ticket with tier3 2 weeks ago..guess what it got cancelled after 1 week with nobody phoning me at all.I am supposed to have a speed of about 5meg!Thank God FOR THIS WEBSITE..something i tried helped a little.I changed my microfilter downstairs...and i now have 1meg.....try it..Jeez right now i will take it.......anything is better than 300kbps! Sky's advice on rebooting the router did not make any difference.

danb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pwoolley View Post
      Ditto - I had to waste my time explaining the difference between downloads and sync - the out source call centres have not got a grasp of the basics to be of any use IMO.
      Well, im though to a UK call centre atm and theyre not proving themselves to be any more competent. Ive just had the exact same conversation with an Irish guy - for him to put me on hold for 5 minutes and come back and explain that a 2m/bit connection is extremely good for a 16m/bit line. After another 10 mins explaining the difference between kilobits and kilobytes to him, he is escelating it to tier 3.

In all fairness he was a nice guy, and he didnt put the phone down on me as soon as he got confused.

Grizzly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Called to check in on my ticket this morning at 8am - I'm supposed to be getting a phonecall from a supervisor today at some point as Tier 3 are too busy to handle calls now apparently & are not allowed to speak to anyone (basically confirming what I said in a post above).

Will post feedback on here to let you know how a supervisor handles tech support later and if I'm any further forward...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast