Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Activated now then please post info here

This is a discussion on Activated now then please post info here within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Order Date: 10/11/09 New Connection Router Arrived: 16/11/09 Connection Due: 30/11/09 Actually Connected: 4/12/09 Up sync speed: 604 kbps Down ...

Mooton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shaw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Activated now then please post info here

Order Date: 10/11/09
      New Connection
      Router Arrived: 16/11/09
      Connection Due: 30/11/09
      Actually Connected: 4/12/09
      Up sync speed: 604 kbps
      Down sync speed: 4091 kbps
      Distance from the exchange: 1.2 miles

Line Attenuation: 46db 29db
      Noise Margin: 8db 15db

2. Advertisement
      mikebh50 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dereham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi

Signed up on the 26th Nov for sky max was given the 4th of Dec as the go live date and as of lunchtime today all seems to be working. Only seem to be getting around 3.5 Meg at the moment but i think thats normal to start with.
      Thanks
      Mike
      Last edited by mikebh50; 04-12-09 at 09:35 PM.

Miserable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Sky Base - Depending on performance I may upgrade this.
      Ordered - 21 November 2009 (Router arrived a few days after.)
      Connection due - 1st Dec 2009
      Connected - 1st Dec 2009 at the end of the day
      Connection Speed 1019 Kbps / 253 Kbps
      Line Attenuation 28 db / 14 db
      Noise Margin 31 db / 18 db
      Distance from exchange - 0.54 mi as the crow flies, 0.7 mi by road (1.5 Km/0.9 mi according to BT engineer, presumably distance of cable?)

Speedtest is pretty much the same now (negligably less) as it was when I tested it 4 days ago when the broadband became active:

Downloading 100MB zero + nonzero bin files simultaneously averaged ~114KB/sec which does seem (in my relative ignorance) more indicative of a 1Mb connection than a 2Mb. Is this what I can reasonably expect from a connection less than a mile from the exchange? Seems a bit duff to me and if this is par for the ADSL course then I can't see me upgrading and, much as it pains me, I can see me swallowing my principles and going back to cable for broadband.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looking at your figures you should get the full 10Mb on everyday and 14-16 Mb on Unlimited. For some reason you seem to be capped, phone Sky and ask them to trouble-shoot your speed. On Base you will easily get 2Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nruk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

turnsd out i was put on asdl not asdl2+ which is why my speeds were so low quick call to sky and now snycin at 9097/798 much better

Exchange:
      Thanks

I called them and they tell me what I'm getting seems about right. They can't tell me whether I'm on adsl or adsl2 but they can tell that the line is capable of adsl2+. The chap I spoke to apparently did a test down the line and it's capable of 6Mb (BT's checker says I can get 7Mb.)
      Other than the only other suggestions were trying a different microfilter, try the test socket and that I wait another 3 days until DLM is completed. It's not looking good for me and this is pretty disappointing to say the least; let alone the fact that it probably cost me a couple of quid for that advice.

Thanks

What a load of rubbish!!! All they had to do was pass you to the Customer Solutions Team and they would have fixed it in minutes. Surely they must realize that if DLM has not moved your speed in 8 days it is never going to. No wonder people are fed up with Sky support, the first line of this seems to be getting worse instead of better.

Don't be surprised if your speed suddenly shoots up in the next 24 hours, a report may have gone to someone who has more than air between their ears, who will adjust your line accordingly.

I would give it 24 hours from your last call and if it has not moved, call them again and ask for DLM to be suspended on your line as it is obviously not going to work. Insist you be passed to CST if you have to.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Another 35 minute phone call (at my expense) to Sky and the issue seems to be resolved. Nice girl at 1st line did the troubleshooting (which I have every faith she has to do, by order) and reached a point where she couldn't go any further so transferred me to CST/second line, who turned off the DLM and 'fixed' it within a minute.

Apart from the cost to me, which I shall try to get credited back, the people I spoke to today were professional, effective and resolved the issue without any fuss, stress or anguish - good job.
      Apparently the clown I'd spoken to the previous day (who couldn't tell me how to get my Sky card number through the service menu on the TV) hadn't left any notes on the account whatsoever - grats for painting a black picture for the rest of your colleagues, idiot. I'll make a point of taking explicit notes of the calls I make, including who I've spoken to in future, like I was forced to do with Virgin Media in the end.

Simultaneous 100MB Non-Zero + 100MB Zero = ~ 215 KB/S

Thanks for this forum and specifically Isitme in this case; if it wasn't for the advice I'd received here I'd have simply cancelled the broadband with Sky - they owe you one as far as I can see.

It doesn't look like I'll be able to see a full 10Mb as my phoneline is only capable of 6Mb or 7Mb (which I must admit I don't understand) but I'll probably subscribe to the Sky 10Mb for the year and see how it goes.
      Last edited by Miserable; 09-12-09 at 08:54 PM. Reason: grammatical/typo

Thanks

my phoneline is only capable of 6Mb or 7Mb
      They would probably tell you that, but I think they use an old data base which does not allow for LLUs ADSL2+ speeds. With your figures you should easily get 10Mb and more.

TomD

Useful Utilites

futur1sm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCPEN
      Thanks

Order Date: 19/12/09
      Migration
      Router Arrived: 27/12/09
      Connection Due: 30/12/09
      Actually Connected: 30/12/09
      Up sync speed: 506 kbps
      Down sync speed: 4091 kbps
      Distance from the exchange: 0.9 miles

Line Attenuation: 23db 10db
      Noise Margin: 31db 24db

Hi everyone! Just been activated this afternoon, what do you reckon I'll eventually be able to get to after this DLM stuff runs through? Used to get 8128/448kbps with SNR of 11db and attenuation of 19db on old ISP. Also, when this DLM stuff is over - can I start using my DGN2000 again?

Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast