Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

To Sync or not to Sync...

This is a discussion on To Sync or not to Sync... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Fellow users - I've never had the need to post in a forum before so I hope this first post ...

Morph Monkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barnet
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

To Sync or not to Sync...

Fellow users - I've never had the need to post in a forum before so I hope this first post is a) in the right place and b) this isn't rubbish and wastes anyones time!

I'm on the Barnet exchange and am having a nightmare with my order(s).

I was unable to receive Sky Broadband (due to lack of capacity) when I moved into my new place and signed up with Plusnet as I had old referral bonuses I wanted to cash in on to bring charges down with

In January the upgrade was completed and I was able to place my order. My original order failed due to "Internal Sky order systems problems" once I had rung them a few times getting different reasons - ultimately if I hadn't of rung I would still be stuck with my first order.. Though I was given misinformation, I wasn't too concerned as I was still connected via Plusnet; So my order was placed again.

My activation date (31-Jan) came and went with nothing happening, however, I noticed on the 28th Jan that I had been disconnected from the BT DSLAM - of which I had this confirmed by a source (luckily I work within the industry and have a few contacts). After I was disco'd, a few hours later the router was informing me that I was back up and Sync'd to the exchange again, which would imply that I was connected to the Sky/Easynet DSLAM, but I was unable to authenticate.

I had been keeping Sky (Provisioning) informed of the situation and on the 31st I was told to wait a few days just in case there was a delay in my order completing out to enable me to authenticate and start using the service. A few days past and still nothing. I rang again and was told that I needed to wait a further 48hrs and was promised that this would be resolved without further failure on the promise. Having a hunch that the person I had spoken to didn't have a clue what was going on I re-rang Sky and then I was told there would be 7 day delay, then I was told by someone else - within the same call - that it could be up to 30days or longer before I got my service. Apparently there was a fault with the ties which was preventing me from receiving connecting to their equipment. Allegedly the fault had been there for a while so I questioned their validity to take my order if they knew they couldn't provide a service. Sadly Customer Services started to become very rude and this point so I decided to give up on that call.

Before ringing Sky again, I checked this with some sources and was told I would not be able to sync to the exchange if the tie's on the block were faulty - the BT order to provide LLU Line Share PSTN was incomplete with no information or date set for completion (Could it be that work had been completed and the order not closed properly?). I rang Sky and they agreed that I should not be able to sync if there was a fault and my order should not have been taken if there was indeed a fault at the exchange and have accepted liability.

I'm now in the hands of a polite chap in the recovery team based in Portsmouth who is updating me when he has further information and is trying to get this sorted out, however, his emails to ascertain information has so far not been good - actually he's had no reply from anyone esp. BT about my query. Is there anyone here able to advise/assist if I am able to authenticate by adding my account to the backbone. Sadly I now have Sky's markers on the line and they said they are unable to let me go until the fault is fixed, where I'll be able to join another provider until the fault is fixed - basically I'm suck with no broadband, and a lot of time wasted calling sky. I'm hoping that this issue is a more simple fix like a breakdown in communications between the exchange engineer and Sky rather than an actual physical fault, which might enable me to get back online rather than sit in limbo.

I feel that I have been let down by the Sky staff who, with no fault to themselves, have been let down by poor training for the more bizarre issues, though from this forum and other forums around the net, the problem doesn't seem to be as one-off as I first thought. I must say out of the mountains of wasted calls I did speak to three people who did know what they were talking about and when they promised to give me a call back they did - which was testimony to their skills in customer service and being able to think beyond their script and deliver the difference (fair play!)

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: To Sync or not to Sync...

As an update to this situation I noticed last night (in between the Darts on Sky) I'd lost Sync to the exchange last night. So I thought Finally!! something is being done... until I realised that my home phone is now dead. So not only am I broadbandless I can't even make or receive calls. It's all far too depressing...

Thanks

Another update...

Just had BT ring me up from the exchange testing the line to see if it was working. I asked them what the fault had been and he said he wasn't sure as everything his side was working perfectly, he theorised that it may have been something software driven - which may tie in to the fact I had a few people looking at this from Sky.

Anyway, I appear to be Sync'd and able to access the internet as well as make this post. My down is only 2Mbps and I can get about 4 from the exchange due to distance and line quality so I'll get that checked out later on - not that technical support knew what I was on about.

Anyway, hopefully this saga may help others, I'll report back if anything further arises that may be of use.

myerss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Werrington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Great post. I haven't experienced any problems but I applaud your attitude and understanding. Your handling of the situation has been measured and well explained. Quite refreshing after reading many posts where people fly of the handle at the first hurdle (throwing the rattle out of the pram). You seem to understand that not everyone on the end of a phoneline is an expert or has access to up to date data.

Good luck with the speed issue and check the forums to ensure any problems are not at your end before you contact Sky.

Thanks

Thanks for the thumbs up. In conclusion to this whole drama, after talking with the right people I'm now sync'd at 4.5M down which I'm very pleased about. Sadly I'm now being forced to write a letter of complaint to Sky Subscriber Services in Livingston detailing everything that has happened (even though its all on my account) as they are unable to discuss or consider any form of compensation over the phone - which for an organisation as large as Sky I find very hard to believe. A disappointing end to what has been a stressful couple of months