Hello i'm just putting this up as I've spent days trying to figure out why i could connect but was unable to browse the internet with any browser and i was unable to recieve email. In the end i've just opted for for a compete reinstall and i'm going home tonight to see if all is well. Conveniently i've just found this article from a microsoft bod which would have probably fixed all my problems. Basically my issues were probably (though i can't be sure) down to a winsock corruption. Anyway i'm posting this link for anyone who might have the same problem. I'm not quite sure of the link rules so i'll post the link but if it isn't allowed just google: Repair/Reset Winsock settings

Repair/Reset Winsock settings

hope this stops other people tearing their hair out