Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Newbie Router question

This is a discussion on Newbie Router question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After four years of trying I finally managed to get ADSL on 11th February. Prior to SKY unbundling and putting ...

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Smile Newbie Router question

After four years of trying I finally managed to get ADSL on 11th February.

Prior to SKY unbundling and putting their own equipment in my local exchange I was simply too far away to get anything.
      Iíve now gone from dialup speeds to receiving speeds between 600 and 710 kbps. Thanks Sky

Prior to some upgrading of the lines into my village, my line length was measured at a whopping 9 km. As the crow flies Iím 4.31 km away. Iíd of thought some have been shaved off since they replaced lines and poles etc.

Anyway Iíve a question about disconnections and the best way to reconnect. Iím resigned to the fact that Iím going to get disconnections Ė which will obviously be due to the sheer length of my line. However is there an application or an easier way to get reconnected?

Iíve installed the little application that enables you to remotely to do a reboot - which is ok when you are at the pc Ė what about when Iím downloading but not at around to notice a lost connection?

Is there a way for it to reset itself following a disconnection? Any app. around able to do this?

Or do I just leave the router to find its way by itself?

Hereís what Iím getting now, it obviously slows down in the evenings and curiously between 9am and 1pm for some reason, which is when, it usually disconnects.

Connection downstream 704 kbps
      Connection upstream 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.8 db 7.0 db

Thanks

Great site btw..

2. Advertisement
      stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Newbie Router question

According to Saturday's guide http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

you are less than 4.7km away and should recieve around 2Mb but I have no experience with it so I would wait for him or someone else who knows that stuff to comment.

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Newbie Router question

4.7 km will relate to the line length. My line length is/was 9km - it obviously gets to my village via the scenic route.

It would be interesting to find out what the length is now, 4 years ago I used some options via the phone to obtain the actual length. BT have removed it now.