Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up my new Sky BB kit

This is a discussion on Setting up my new Sky BB kit within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good morning all, This is my first post. Very impressed with the site. I'm hoping i'll be able to pick ...

skyessex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Orsett
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Setting up my new Sky BB kit

Good morning all,

This is my first post. Very impressed with the site. I'm hoping i'll be able to pick up some tips, please?

My router/filters etc were delivered to my house on Friday just gone. Had a letter on the same day saying that my activation date would be 14/02/07. Phone sky yesterday and they confirmed that my line was now active. Excellent!

So, I pick up the instruction manual, go through the process -

1. Plug in the microfilters. Only 2 phone sockets in the house. one upstairs in the extension socket with a telephone into the micro filter. Phone has dial tone, so seems ok.

2. Second microfilter in the main BT socket downstairs. Sky set top box is approx 4 metres away from phone socket, so when the engineer originally fitted the set top box, he stappled a cable to the skirting which has a BT phone plug as well as a double socket for expansion, on each end of the cable. So, at one end, I have my phone in one of the sockets and the set top box in the other. (Is this right, please?)
      I then take the cable that is stappled to the skirting pull it out of the BT main socket and plug it into the microfilter. Microfilter then goes in the BT main socket.

3. I then plug the router grey phone cable from the back of the router into the back of the microfilter in the main BT socket. Phone has dial tone.

4. I then plug yellow ethernet cable from router to laptop.

5. laptop switched on.

6. Router plugged in and switched on. Power light is green. 'Tick' light is green. '1' light is green. Internet light flickers amber for about 3 second then goes green.

7. Everything looks great. I then go though the process on the cd, ticking everything of. Disable symantec firewall and antivirus.

8. Software then tells me that i'm not quite ready to go.

Has anyone got any ideas please? I've also tried this again today with zero success. Not quite sure what to do next.

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Setting up my new Sky BB kit

This sounds pretty much like what happened to me. Sky were adamant that I was activated because that's what it said on the screen. Turns out it wasn't at all.

Can you log into the router?

http://192.168.0.1

Username: admin
      Password: sky

What does it say under the ADSL section?

Also, go to start - run, type in cmd then OK/return.
      Type ipconfig and press return. Should be

IP Address........... 192.168.0.2
      Subnet Mask........ 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway... 192.168.0.1

(I'm not sure I follow your wiring description, but I think you need to plug the double extension into the microfilter phone socket not the microfilter into the extension. The filter needs to be the first thing into the BT box bascially - well mine is anyway )
      Last edited by stevelaw; 15-02-07 at 01:22 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for that. I haven't tried loggin into the router yet. Will try that tonight.

But basically, I have 2 phone sockets and there are microfiltersplugged straight into both sockets. But on the Microfilter downstsirs, I have my house phone and sky set top box both plugged into the phone socket on the microgilter via the sky 2 way expansion cable which is attached to the skirting. The guy at sky tech support said it probably wasn't wise to have 3 different things plugged into the same microfilter. He did say that they did a 3 way microfilter which might help me out. Can anyomne recommend these?

I'll try the routher thing tonight and let you know. Thanks for your help so far! :-)

stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyessex View Post
      But basically, I have 2 phone sockets and there are microfiltersplugged straight into both sockets. But on the Microfilter downstsirs, I have my house phone and sky set top box both plugged into the phone socket on the microgilter via the sky 2 way expansion cable which is attached to the skirting. The guy at sky tech support said it probably wasn't wise to have 3 different things plugged into the same microfilter. He did say that they did a 3 way microfilter which might help me out. Can anyomne recommend these?
      I have mine set up the same way. I wouldn't worry about it for now, get the thing working first. I can't comment on the three way filters, never used one.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks a lot for your help. Can now log into router and connect wireless!

Will keep you posted on progress.