Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Dismally Poor Speed

This is a discussion on Dismally Poor Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As a new member forgive me for not trawling through all the threads to see if there is an answer ...

susie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Dismally Poor Speed

As a new member forgive me for not trawling through all the threads to see if there is an answer to my problem!

My Sky Max installation took place last week and on Monday BT confirmed activation. After a month without broadband I was ecstatic - for about 25 seconds. Bearing in mind that Max offers up to 16MB and Sky confirm my speed as 5MB how come my first speed test put me at 215KB!!! Now I am up to the dizzying heights of 535KB - worse than my first ever dial up connection back in the dark ages.

So, what could be wrong? Sky are sending me new microfilters, but I have swapped them around/taken them off with no noticeable improvement. My previous ISP was NTL, but not wireless. My PC is less than six months old and wireless enabled.

I am completely untechy so please speak to me in words of one syllable!

Thanking you for helping me avoid insanity.

2. Advertisement
      simonh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBURTO
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dismally Poor Speed

you could try the tcpoptimizer:

http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

edit: you will be better off connecting using the ethernet port.

stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A couple of quick questions that may or may not help.

Assuming you are using wireless - which you may not be, but you did mention wireless enabled hence we both assume you are using the wireless connection. Ignore if you are not.

How far is your PC from the router? Is it a new or old house (i.e. thin plasterboard or nice thick solid walls)?

You are better off using the ethernet port of course, but it may not be convenient - would you be able to move the computer near the router to do a few speed tests pluged in with an ethernet wire?
      Last edited by stevelaw; 14-02-07 at 07:15 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Steve

I am using wireless. The house is almost 150 years old so it has nice, solid walls! The router is about 25ft or so from my PC, but on the same floor. I moved into the house a month ago and one thing that attracted me was the morning room at the back - perfect for an office! The person I bought from used wireless, but she had a laptop and not a desktop so probably sat with it on her knee in the front room.

I did say I wasn't remotely techy so here are a few classic computer idiot questions. If I connected via ethernet would that mean having my Sky box in the same room as my PC? I assume I would also need a BT point? Neither is currently feasible and I bought a wireless enabled PC to allow me to set up my system in this room. Even if the 150 year old walls are causing some interference with signal flow, surely not enough to reduce me to less than 500kb? The aspect between the rooms is 'open' (as in straight look through with one room leading to another, not open plan per se).

I could try moving the PC into the other room and hooking it up via the ethernet for experimental purposes, but it's a cumbersome brute and I'd probably kill myself or it by attempting this - even if I was confident that I'd put all the cables back in the right place. I did warn you I was something less than a computer geek!

stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The walls could make a difference, although yes, it would probably be only slight, but if it's a poor connection/speed to start with then it could make a proportionately big difference (well I've seen it happen anyway :P) What signal strength do you get?

You really should try and get a "benchmark" by plugging into the ethernet (and even the test socket), but I can appreciate it could be a pain (literally as well as figuratively). The first thing you need to do is try and find out what the problem actually is - is it the ADSL connection or the wireless (or something else). Best way to do that is to start eliminating - take the wireless out of the equation, if its still the same its not the wireless, etc.

Other questions? Any idea what network card is in the PC? Is the router aerial standing straight up?

Try logging into the router (http://192.168.0.1/system.htm and log in with admin/sky) and look at connection speed (in fact post the whole thing here for those in the know).

Other things to try? Try TCPOptimizer Optimising your Broadband Connection

You could connect to ethernet several ways. Get a phone point and plug the modem is next to the PC, get an extention cable for the modem cable or for the ethernet cable (longer cables can mean poorer connections of course).
      Last edited by stevelaw; 14-02-07 at 08:14 PM.

bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
      Hi Steve

I am using wireless. The house is almost 150 years old so it has nice, solid walls! The router is about 25ft or so from my PC, but on the same floor. I moved into the house a month ago and one thing that attracted me was the morning room at the back - perfect for an office! The person I bought from used wireless, but she had a laptop and not a desktop so probably sat with it on her knee in the front room.

I did say I wasn't remotely techy so here are a few classic computer idiot questions. If I connected via ethernet would that mean having my Sky box in the same room as my PC? I assume I would also need a BT point? Neither is currently feasible and I bought a wireless enabled PC to allow me to set up my system in this room. Even if the 150 year old walls are causing some interference with signal flow, surely not enough to reduce me to less than 500kb? The aspect between the rooms is 'open' (as in straight look through with one room leading to another, not open plan per se).

I could try moving the PC into the other room and hooking it up via the ethernet for experimental purposes, but it's a cumbersome brute and I'd probably kill myself or it by attempting this - even if I was confident that I'd put all the cables back in the right place. I did warn you I was something less than a computer geek!
      Dont worry your with sky speed slowdowns are the norm it seems, and provide the best equitment, just dont use wireless unless you are tec minded.
      can hack the modem make some changes do some speed tests and change some settings
      By the way even that may not work, but then you have tec support fully recomended and wont take long to get through
      goodluck
      Sky bb Max

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My speed has dropped to dial-up modem since 2pm this afternoon before that it was ok - reboots etc have no effect - this is really bad. may give them a ring if it is like it tomoorow

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelaw View Post
      Try logging into the router (http://192.168.0.1/system.htm and log in with admin/sky) and look at connection speed (in fact post the whole thing here for those in the know).
      Where do I find the information they ask for when I click the link? Do I need to register somewhere else first or are they asking for some kind of serial no. and password from my Sky set up?

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Username admin, password sky.
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LNB View Post
      Username admin, password sky.
      Doh!

OK, I don't know what is useful from this but here goes:

Speed: Up 15323kbps, down 764kbps

Line attenuation: Up 12.0db, down 6.7db

Noise margin: Up 14.4db, down 13.5db

Looks like a bit of a differential in upload and download speed from where I'm sitting, whatever that means!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast