Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Dismally Poor Speed

This is a discussion on Dismally Poor Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Hughjarse Forgive me for throwing in the proverebial spanner, but your router is passworded and named from ...

stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dismally Poor Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Hughjarse View Post
      Forgive me for throwing in the proverebial spanner, but your router is passworded and named from the router mac address. So plugging in another shouldnt work! It would have a new settings, or put it this way the old one wouldnt work if Sky had changed.

Is someone going to correct me in that sky clone and send out?
      You would think that was the case, but Susie's experience here appears to be contradicting it.

Maybe the original problem was that when Sky sent out the second router they changed over the account to the new one, thus the old one provided such poor speeds (even though yes, it did report to be connected at full speed).

*shrug* Shouldn't work maybe, but certainly appears to (a few hours in at least).

2. Advertisement
      susie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky wouldn't have changed over the account I assume - the story is that I complained about my torturous internet connection and someone at Sky said 'microfilters - change them'. I said I had been left with no spares and they decided they'd send new ones, but that I'd have to pay for them (and then they'd credit my account). I gave my card details but got a call back 5 mins later saying they had a problem processing the payment (nothing to do with my creditworthiness!!!) and thus what they would do to save time was to send me the full monty including router so I could return the package minus the microfilters. So, no account changeover. Unless the despatch of the new router package was noted on their system, i.e. it was registered to me and no one else, in which case I must get on the phone and explain what's happened before they pull the plug. I'm rather enjoying having proper broadband.....
      Danger! Idiot at work.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelaw View Post
      (a few hours in at least).
      You're scaring me now.....
      Danger! Idiot at work.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
      Sky wouldn't have changed over the account I assume - the story is that I complained about my torturous internet connection and someone at Sky said 'microfilters - change them'. I said I had been left with no spares and they decided they'd send new ones, but that I'd have to pay for them (and then they'd credit my account). I gave my card details but got a call back 5 mins later saying they had a problem processing the payment (nothing to do with my creditworthiness!!!) and thus what they would do to save time was to send me the full monty including router so I could return the package minus the microfilters. So, no account changeover. Unless the despatch of the new router package was noted on their system, i.e. it was registered to me and no one else, in which case I must get on the phone and explain what's happened before they pull the plug. I'm rather enjoying having proper broadband.....
      I really have no idea how you should handle this. If you are in the slightest bit worried you should probably phone Sky and explain/ask. No idea how this would affect you. Worse case if you tell them, you lose Internet while they sort out what account/router is what. Worse case if you don't? Breach of T&C I suppose, but what does thatally mean? Of course if you don't tell them nothing might happen either...

As Hugh says the new router shouldn't work, but it does, can't really argue that one. Not sure what else to say. (The Law part of SteveLaw isn't anything to do with the actual law )

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did phone Sky, and spoke to someone distinguished only by the scale of his disinterest. I insisted that he log the details of my call as he told me to just 'keep' the old router and say no more about it. He went off to check with colleagues several times, so I wasn't exactly reassured. Ah well, tomorrow is another day and either my broadband will collapse and die or the old bill will turn up on my doorstep and accuse me of theft of goods. I think the latter is preferable to the former because it is probably much easier to resolve.....
      Danger! Idiot at work.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did phone Sky, and spoke to someone distinguished only by the scale of his disinterest.
      LOL! A perfect description. Marvellous.

He went off to check with colleagues several times, so I wasn't exactly reassured.
      Eveyone I ever spoke to at Sky at one point or another put me on hold to go and ask someone else something (even the Tier 3 lad had to borrow his collegue's computer as it had some software his didn't, heh). I felt like saying "can I just speak to the person you are asking please!".

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm heading off for bed a very happy bunny based on events today. I will dream happy thoughts, I will have a smile on my face, I will face the office tomorrow with unassailable good humour - and I will sit on the train on my way back from work praying that my connection hasn't fallen back into the pit of hell. But hah! That's not going to happen because I have right on my side! And I have the skyuser forum! And the forces of evil will never triumph against such odds! And yes, I am over tired and I do need sleep. Night night.
      Danger! Idiot at work.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Night Susie.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Great avatar

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-wireless.html

In the wireless settings you will see the channel setting, default is 6, change the auto108 to g&b and try a different channel number (all done by drop down boxes)

Try each channel for the best result. ie 1 to 13
      Original router ran on Channel 6 -the new router runs on Channel 11 - could this be what has made the difference NR?
      Danger! Idiot at work.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Original router ran on Channel 6 -the new router runs on Channel 11 - could this be what has made the difference NR?
      Did you try changing the channels on the old one?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast