Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Dismally Poor Speed

This is a discussion on Dismally Poor Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have a safe trip back to Kansas - spk to you tomorrow...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Dismally Poor Speed

Have a safe trip back to Kansas - spk to you tomorrow

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Changing channels is clutching at straws (they are really just to prevent "overlap" from multiple access points), but worth a try I suppose, I can't think of anything better right now.

We'll all sleep on it, Susie can use her wiles (and shoes) to get that laptop and run more tests tomorrow

Last edited by stevelaw; 15-02-07 at 01:08 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okay, assuming you get your hands on a laptop, this is what you need to try first to try and home in on the problem.

Plug the laptop into the router with the ethernet cable (the yellow one you got with your router). Do some speedtests.

Assuming the laptop is wireless enabled, unplug the ethernet cable and connect to your wireless. (Best if you also turn off the PC.)

Do some tests using wireless right next to the router.

Move away from the router - as far as you can in the same room - and do more tests.

Then move to where your PC is and do yet more tests.

(If you want, and out of interest, also try it in different rooms.)

Let us know what you find.

Good luck. (And don't forget to polish those shoes!)

susie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelaw View Post
      Changing channels is clutching at straws (they are really just to prevent "overlap" from multiple access points), but worth a try I suppose, I can't think of anything better right now.

We'll all sleep on it, Susie can use her wiles (and shoes) to get that laptop and run more tests tomorrow

Do you know how long it took for that pic to show up on my PC? It was like that ad with the two guys in the 70s gazing in awe as a fuzzy picture of a rabbit reveals itself frame by frame over the course of about half an hour! Love it though - there sure is no Sky speed like Susie's! I don't expect Sky will have too many people queuing up for a service like mine however.

I'm not in the office today (believe it or not I'm off sick - all Sky's fault I'm sure) but I will practise my grovelling today so I can plead with the IT dept tomorrow for a weekend laptop loan. And then I will put your very helpful advice into practice. If I can't work out what plugs into where I will doubtless be here asking dumb questions and thank you in advance for your patience....

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
      Do you know how long it took for that pic to show up on my PC?
      Oops, Sorry Susie, I forgot

Love it though - there sure is no Sky speed like Susie's! I don't expect Sky will have too many people queuing up for a service like mine however.
      It can deliberately be taken two ways

I'm not in the office today (believe it or not I'm off sick
      Hope you feel better soon - I won't ask you to move the PC to the router then

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm going to attempt to move the PC to the router anyway and hang the consequences. If you listen out in about an hour's time you may be able to hear the expletives where you are.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Eek! Take it easy, but good luck!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right then, here are the results of the Enfield jury.

My PC is now poised elegantly on my coffee table in the front room. It is poignantly close to the router - about four feet away. The Sky analysis tells me a familiar story:

Speed: Down 15323, up 764

Line attenuation: Down 12.00db, up 6.7db

Noise margin: Down 14.5db, up 13.5db

(hope I've got these the right way round this time.....)

Results of speed tests:

Elwell - too many errors to make a report

BroadbandMax - 300 download, 633 upload

This is premium pants isn't it?

I have my yellow cable Steve, now all I have to do is work out where to shove it. Does it just connect into any one of the yellow sockets on the back of the router and then into the ethernet point on the back of my PC? Do I have to disconnect anything anywhere in relation to the wireless function?

As an aside, this morning the postman arrived at my doorstep with a new router package from Sky. This was sent to me to give me a few spare microfilters but it does include a new router. Should I try this? In order to do so do I need to configure it in any way or do I just substitute it for the one I've already got?

I am still fighting them on the beaches, but I am getting a hell of a lot of sand kicked in my face

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
      I have my yellow cable Steve, now all I have to do is work out where to shove it. Does it just connect into any one of the yellow sockets on the back of the router and then into the ethernet point on the back of my PC?
      As easy as that yeah.

Do I have to disconnect anything anywhere in relation to the wireless function?
      No, but you could if wanted to (it should use the best connection automatically).

As an aside, this morning the postman arrived at my doorstep with a new router package from Sky. This was sent to me to give me a few spare microfilters but it does include a new router. Should I try this? In order to do so do I need to configure it in any way or do I just substitute it for the one I've already got?
      Wow, perfect timing They sent a whole new router package for a few filters! The mind boggles.

Try the old one with Ethernet first just for the test, then you can always try the new one both wired and wireless - you could also try swapping the modem cable for the new one.

You painted a beautiful picture of your setup there btw, I feel as though I'm in the room with you

Your wireless does seem to be (slightly) better when you are closer, but that's not acceptable in any sense of the word, press on, press on...

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As easy as that yeah.
      Done

No, but you could if wanted to (it should use the best connection automatically).
      I had a 'new network detected' message from Zone Alarm and added it to the trusted zone but the only thing showing up at the foot of my screen is the wireless network connection ('strong' and 'excellent' of course....)

Wow, perfect timing They sent a whole new router package for a few filters! The mind boggles.
      It is ready and waiting. I have a feeling I'm going to have to use it.

Try the old one with Ethernet first just for the test, then you can always try the new one both wired and wireless - you could also try swapping the modem cable for the new one.
      I have run the test with the ethernet cable and guess what? Exactly the same readings. Is it still running purely on wireless and not picking up on the ethernet connection?

You painted a beautiful picture of your setup there btw, I feel as though I'm in the room with you
      It's very cosy here Steve, but as I am off work with some debilitating bug I figure you might not want to take the chance of contamination

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast