Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Dismally Poor Speed

This is a discussion on Dismally Poor Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR Have you tried my previous post with the links, thats 2 things you can try to ...

susie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dismally Poor Speed

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Have you tried my previous post with the links, thats 2 things you can try to sort the wireless out.
      Yes, I've taken the tip from the second thread and now I have to read up on what I do with the programme I've loaded!
      Last edited by susie; 14-02-07 at 11:05 PM.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Cool - between us all we will sort you out (pardon the pun)

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
      Never forget you are talking to an idiot so half of what you say to me will go straight over my head!
      Not to worry, tell us what you can we'll get there eventually

The PC is an HP 7635 - will that indicate what wireless card it carries?
      Not directly but a bit of searching tells us its 802.11g anyway. (don't worry about it )

The wireless aerial - is that the small one that comes with the PC as opposed to the one sticking out of the top of the router? The PC aerial has been moved around in search of improved performance but that hasn't made any difference. It's currently stickied to my speaker soundbox and is not pointing towards the PC.
      I was thinking the one on the router mainly but either. Point them both straight up in the air if they aren't (its a common mistake to point them towards each other or in the direction you want to "send" the signal).

Signal strength - I ran my cursor over the wireless icon thingy bottom right of my screen and it said "speed 54.0Mpbs, signal strength very good".
      Hmm. Very odd. All appears to be in order... Try that first link NewsreadeR posts above. (I hate remote support, I much prefer to be hands on, I'm trying desperately to think through what we can check... I might have to get my laptop out (coz that's wireless ))

I'm fighting a losing battle aren't I?
      We shall fight them on the beaches... Stiff upper lip Susie it might take time but one of us will get you sorted I'm, sure of it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Try unstickying from the speaker - that could cause interference etc
      It's been in several locations to little effect - and my sound is not switched on. I only bother with sound for music and games. I will move the aerial to yet another location but there's only so far the (very short) cable will stretch!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The magnets in the speaker (although not turned on) could cause interference

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelaw View Post

We shall fight them on the beaches... Stiff upper lip Susie it might take time but one of us will get you sorted I'm, sure of it.
      I think I may cry - thank you so much

Hughjarse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Susie, did you read my first post, I didnt ask you to run cables, what those devices do is use your electrical sockets as your network. ie your cable is already ran you simply plug them in.

BUT... your problem is now going to be that youre starting to run into technical solutions and as you said you not very techy. You got any friends who could maybe help abit? We can point you in the right direction youre going to have to physically do things though.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hugh, I must admit I didn't realise that's what that link was myself. Not something I've ever had a go with, but looks very cool - I wonder if I can contrive getting it fitted in one of my schools ... Looks like an ideal solution (how much technical knowledge is needed to set those up?)

Anyway, Susie, in the mean time, maybe we should go back to the beginning for a sec? How were you measuring your speeds?

Have you got a software firewall? (i.e. McAfee, Norton, ZoneAlarm)

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs? It might be an idea to download Ad-Aware and AVG and do a scan with each, just in case (more of that elimination stuff )

I also find it slightly amusing/confusing/worrying that sky told you you were getting 5M when you should be a poster girl for Sky Broadband with that connection (It's 15M not 5!)
      Last edited by stevelaw; 14-02-07 at 11:01 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, I'm measuring speed via Dan Elwell's test, but I have tried others and the results are much the same (plus I did that Sky test you pointed me towards).

I run Zone Alarm Security Suite for firewall, spyware and anti virus. I occasionally run my system through the Norton free check and/or Spybot just for a 'belt and braces' approach. I also have System Mechanic to healthcheck things. Pananoid, moi?

I've never been a poster girl before - do I get to keep the shoes? I assume that there are shoes and it's not that kind of poster.....

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
      OK, I'm measuring speed via Dan Elwell's test, but I have tried others and the results are much the same (plus I did that Sky test you pointed me towards).
      Okay, no worries there then.

I run Zone Alarm Security Suite for firewall, spyware and anti virus. I occasionally run my system through the Norton free check and/or Spybot just for a 'belt and braces' approach. I also have System Mechanic to healthcheck things. Pananoid, moi?
      Heh, not bad (you're starting to lose the "helpless non-techie" argument here you understand ) I use Zone Alarm Pro, is the Suite different? (I wouldn't trust ZA for spyware/virus detection, not on its own anyway, but I don't know the suite and its better than nothing.)

I've never been a poster girl before - do I get to keep the shoes? I assume that there are shoes and it's not that kind of poster.....
      Well, you might think that but I couldn't possibly comment - it might help with all the disgruntled customers though

Seriously though I'm struggling to think why you might possibly be getting that huge difference between the Router connection speed and the wireless connection speed. I'm stumped. Do you know anyone with a (wireless) laptop that can connect to your router and run some speed tests (both wireless and wired).

Everyone else, is there any point in me even considering thinking about mentioning asking for a Sky Engineer to visit?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast