Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Dismally Poor Speed

This is a discussion on Dismally Poor Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Susie You have a high download speed. Must be the wireless slowing it down. Try and connect the PC to ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Dismally Poor Speed

Susie

You have a high download speed. Must be the wireless slowing it down.

Try and connect the PC to the router with the cable that Sky sent with the router in the ethernet / network card in your PC. As it is newish you should have this as standard. The router will need to be in range of the PC and the phone socket.

Once this cable is connected to the PC try the test again.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Hughjarse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NOW IM LAUGHING

According to those figures youve probably got one of teh fastest connections on this forum. Youre a kick in the bum away from 16mb.

Wireless does not like thick walls, and in my opinion the sky wireless box is not the best wireless box there is.

Have you thought about using youre internal electrical wiring as a network cable using something like this
      D-Link DHP-301 PowerLine HD Ethernet Starter Kit
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-02-07 at 08:48 PM. Reason: changed before Wheelie sees it - hes mean and green

susie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hughjarse View Post
      NOW IM LAUGHING

According to those figures youve probably got one of teh fastest connections on this forum. Youre a kick in the a*** away from 16mb.
      [/url]
      I have? That's great! But I could do without the kick in the bum if you don't mind - I'm battered enough after wrestling with my broadband connection All I need to achieve now is a download speed of even a third of my upload speed and I'll be a happy person.

Running cables into this room is not practical - it's an old cottage and the back half of the house has solid floors. To get to the morning room you have to go through the kitchen (solid floor, quarry tiled) and a rear lobby. The morning room is a 'new' (1970s) addition with a concrete floor. I cannot run wires through the kitchen as there is no way to disguise them. The cottage is terraced so external cabling is also out of the question.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-02-07 at 08:56 PM. Reason: edited before Wheelie sees it ;)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Susie

If you run the cable you will get the desired result, alternatively you could try messing around with changing the channel for wireless etc.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-wireless.html

The other thing to try would be the optimise thread

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/netwo...eeds-read.html

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A huge differential indeed, but perfectly normal - the A in ADSL stands for asynchronous, or not the same! That doesn't solve your problem though. Leave your router where it is, obtain a long network cable to reach from your PC to your router, and enjoy blistering download speeds. Your stats suggest that your exchange is in your cellar!
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I really wish there was a way of doing this without running cable - it kind of defeats the object of wireless. And as I've said, running cable is not really practical because of the kind of house I live in and the location of my PC relative to the Sky box/telephone point. I still cannot believe that a run of 25ft, thick walls or not, would reduce my connection speed so dramatically

I don't think the exchange is in my cellar LNB, as I don't have a cellar (or maybe I do but no one told me because they wanted to house a telephone exchange in there ), but I am in Enfield, EN2 if anyone knows where the exchange is.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Have you tried my previous post with the links, thats 2 things you can try to sort the wireless out.

stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wow. Now I'm sick as a parrot. You could probably run a cable to my house and still get get better speeds than you're getting on wireless! (j/k btw, I know that's not true...)

But there's no reason you can't (theoretically) get a much better wireless connection with that to work with.

So, can we try and find out what wireless card is in the PC? Is the wireless aerial standing up straight (the signal comes out of the aerial a bit like a disc or donught - the best signal is at 90 degrees to the aerial (if you see what I mean?) don't point the aerial towards the PC).

(It's a bit small I know but the best I could find quickly - ah, that's better, click it...)

What's the signal strength? (the green bars in the wireless configuration)

(With full respect NR, the second "wireless" link there is just another TCPOptimizer link.)
      Last edited by stevelaw; 14-02-07 at 09:51 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelaw View Post
      Wow. Now I'm sick as a parrot. You could probably run a cable to my house and still get get better speeds than you're getting on wireless! (j/k btw, I know that's not true...)

But there's no reason you can't (theoretically) get a much better wireless connection with that to work with.

So, can we try and find out what wireless card is in the PC? Is the wireless aerial standing up straight (the signal comes out of the aerial a bit like a disc or donught - the best signal is at 90 degrees to the aerial (if you see what I mean?) don't point the aerial towards the PC).

What's the signal strength? (the green bars in the wireless configuration)
      Never forget you are talking to an idiot so half of what you say to me will go straight over my head!

The PC is an HP 7635 - will that indicate what wireless card it carries?

The wireless aerial - is that the small one that comes with the PC as opposed to the one sticking out of the top of the router? The PC aerial has been moved around in search of improved performance but that hasn't made any difference. It's currently stickied to my speaker soundbox and is not pointing towards the PC.

Signal strength - I ran my cursor over the wireless icon thingy bottom right of my screen and it said "speed 54.0Mpbs, signal strength very good".

I'm fighting a losing battle aren't I?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

It's currently stickied to my speaker soundbox
      Try unstickying from the speaker - that could cause interference etc

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast