Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Telephone extension socket drops connection

This is a discussion on Telephone extension socket drops connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a master telephone socket, and an extension socket, both have the sky filters fitted to them. The sky ...

XPUser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas (EMSTBBS)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Telephone extension socket drops connection

I have a master telephone socket, and an extension socket, both have the sky filters fitted to them. The sky router is connected to the extension socket, but it keeps dropping the connection. After trying several things, like changing filters, wires (which didnt work), I moved the PC and router and connected the sky router to the master socket (as I wanted to eliminate the extension socket). I have had no problems for around a week. This therefore implies that there is a problem with the extension socket (I used the same filters and wires, so know its not them).

My questions is, can I do anything to the extension socket that will help it maintain the connection. I know there are sockets available that have the filter "built-in", will these help? Is there anything else I can try.

BTW in both instance the router was connected directly to the PC, I do not use wireless functionality...I have disabled it.

Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by XPUser; 14-02-07 at 02:30 PM.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Telephone extension socket drops connection

Hi

In the master socket if you take the faceplate off you should some see some wires connected.

If you are confident you could try disconnecting all of the ones not in pin 2 and pin 5 at the master socket end and also in your extension socket.

Be aware, if not confident - do not try - you could break your phoneline.

But it aint that hard to do and should yield better results, alternatively read this

Try your master socket for better results

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi

In the master socket if you take the faceplate off you should some see some wires connected.

If you are confident you could try disconnecting all of the ones not in pin 2 and pin 5 at the master socket end and also in your extension socket.
      I believe this would leave me with the ringwire (orange)...however (I should have said in my original post) I do have two extension sockets, one is used for phone only, and one for router only. All socksts have filters fitted. Would it be possible to disconnect all wires (except pin 2 and 5) from the extension socket that the router is plugged into?

Dont think I could disconnect the orange wire from the master socket, as I would then not receive a ringing from the telephone connected in the other extension.

I am confident in removing the wiring as specified, however want to make sure I have got things straight before I tamper with the phone line.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Dont think I could disconnect the orange wire from the master socket, as I would then not receive a ringing from the telephone connected in the other extension.
      I have removed my ring wire and all my phones ring, iirc that wire is only used in the old phones, the one with the bell in.

Someone else should correct me if I am wrong. Normally the 2 wires that are needed for the phone line are blue/white and white/blue, but that is only if wired up correctly as per spec normally.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I have removed my ring wire and all my phones ring, iirc that wire is only used in the old phones, the one with the bell in.

Someone else should correct me if I am wrong. Normally the 2 wires that are needed for the phone line are blue/white and white/blue, but that is only if wired up correctly as per spec normally.
      Ah ok....may give this a go on the weekend....thus giving me plenty of time to "fix" it if things go wrong...Misses will kill me if the phones stop working.

Thanks for your help.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you have a moden phone, say within the last five years, you should have no problem disconnecting the bell circuit/ring wire. I have a BT phone which is nine years old which won't ring without the ring wire.

Thanks

Aer there any features on the phone that will tell me that the bell wire will not be required? I have an old phone (circa 6 years old), so not sure if it will require the bell wire. I dont want to get rid of the phone, as it was an expensive one, and cools very cool (as far as phones go).

Can I disconnect the bellwire from one of the extensions (but not the master socket), and then plug the phone into the socket, and ring the home phone If the phone rings, then I will know the phone does not require the bell wire?

I dont want to disconnect it from the master socket until I am 100% sure it is not required.

Sorry for the stupid questions...but have never messed around with the phone wires before.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Like you say, I would disconnect the bell wire from the extension socket first and not the master socket and see if the phone rings. If it does then remove the bell wire from the master socket.

Some people say that the micro-filter will make a phone ring without the ring wire, this wasn't the case with my BT phone. I don't know what effects a ADSL Nation face has though, I've never had to use one.

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the bell wire is only needed for pulse dialing, many phones now use tone dialing and so the the bell wire is not needed. The microfilter should reproduce the bell signal in the same way the master socket does. Even if it the microfilter does not, which it should, it should not really matter unless you have a quite old phone

EDIT: I did not read the bit where you said it was older than 6 years, so as stated above just do trial and error, after the bell wire is disconnected if the phone rings all is good. It should be stated bell wires were introduced for phones with bells in
      Last edited by stephens; 15-02-07 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Did not read above post properly

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can usually check if your phone has a bell by giving the base a good shake. If it has a bell you will hear it tinkling.

You can disconnect the bell wire from the extension, plug in your phone and ring it (from a mobile?), as you suggest. I would add that ring wires are the cause of more dropped connections and slow speeds than people realize. You will have a much more stable connection if you disconnect it. If you really think your phone is so cool, stick it in a display cabinet and buy a modern one.

Also, if you do get a new phone, bear in mind that DECT phones have been known to cause problems with wireless connections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast