Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband removed by TalkTalk

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband removed by TalkTalk within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I foolishly signed up last April for TalkTalk’s ‘Free Broadband Forever” offer after being with Freeserve for some while. Having ...

Kettlejake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband removed by TalkTalk

I foolishly signed up last April for TalkTalk’s ‘Free Broadband Forever” offer after being with Freeserve for some while. Having given them the MAC code they informed me that as it was an LLU code I wouldn’t be able to receive Broadband unless I disconnected, which at the time I wasn’t prepared to do. After many long and fruitless telephone calls with them, I decided to cancel the Broadband part of the deal, and as far as I was concerned they agreed to that.
      As luck would have it, by the time I extricated myself from them, Sky announced their Broadband packages and I decided to throw in my lot with them, being a Sky Digital customer already. They assured me the MAC code was acceptable, I asked them several times as I had reservations due to my previous TalkTalk experience. However, when I gave them my MAC code their system wouldn’t accept it. This time I did disconnect and was without Broadband for several weeks.
      Sky Broadband was activated in September and I was using it (reasonably) happily until acouple of weeks ago. Then I discovered my phone line had stopped accepting incoming calls and Broadband was off. I reported the fault to TalkTalk who informed me that they had “upgraded” my service.
      What this meant was that Sky Broadband was no longer on my line, but I could still make and receive calls. Many, many phone calls to TalkTalk ensued, with them insisting that I had NOT cancelled their Broadband, as I wasn’t able to cancel just one part of their package.
      I then decided to do just that, and cancelled with them, intending to go back to a BT line, which would enable me to go on to Sky Talk, as well as reverting to Sky Broadband. I waited the statutory time for BT to take back the line, which happened a week ago. Of course, when I did get it back, there wa no Broadband, as a result of TalkTalk’s actions in “upgrading” their service to me.
      On contacting Sky, I was told that my account was still active and, as far as they were concerned, I was receiving Broadband. BT, however, informed me that there was no Broadband on the line and none had been ordered. Repeating this to Sky, they told me the only thing I could do was cancel my account and rejoin. I agreed to this, thinking it would be just a few days, only to be told yesterday that the “cancel” could take 30 days, and then a further 10 to re-order Broadband. I have phoned time and time again to try and speed up this process, but they say the system can’t be over-ridden. The people dealing with it are the Order Management Team, who can’t be reached by telephone for some reason
      So, I don’t have Broadband due to TalkTalk’s actions and Sky, who have been helpful, are unable to do anything immediately to help me. Obviously, once all this is resolved I will be contacting Ofcom regarding TalkTalk’s removeal of Sky Broadband from my line. Meanwhile, my son’s ability to do his GCSE coursework at home is suffering and I’m frustrated beyond all reason.
      Can anybody recommend a course of action?

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband removed by TalkTalk

Sorry I have no advice only too agree yes TalkTalk are rubbish, I signed up in April and waited for seven months, but never got connected to either the phone service or the broadband and in the end after hours on the phone and loads of emails I was so frustrated I told them to shove it, they then sent me a bill for £70 for cancelling a service I had never recieved!!! yeah right over my dead body! I never did pay it. It was at that point I turned to Sky, Although Sky are not perfect they are a darn site better than TalkTalk.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes, Unfortunately, Like Sky have said, There is nothing that can speed the process up!

As for your sons GCSE coursework suffering, The best bet is to try a library?
      As its very unlikely to be on during the half-term!

agentwalker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm at the same stage as you mate with waiting for Order management to cancel a previously bodged up order before I can place another order, Been at this stage now for 2 weeks this thursday without any sign of movement, even after contacting the service recovery team daily to check on progress and speed things up. getting to a stage now where i'm just going to go elsewhere and payextra.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is situation isn't helped by Sky's customer management systems.
      Because you don't have Sky on your line anymore when Sky sends a cease to BT (to cancel your order) it will be rejected. The BB service goes into a pending cancellation state and can't be cleared without high-end manual intervention.
      If you *can* somehow speak to someone in Sky and get your BB service cleared from your account then speak to Talk Talk, get a MAC address and migrate >back> to Sky. That should speed up the process rather than requiring a complete new reprovide.

intheknow! is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

if anyone wanted a reason to stay away from Talk Talk, there it is!!

Norman Undercroft is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As anybody on this forum swapped from TalkTalk to Sky and if so how did it go?
      .Scared about all the agro of trying to swap from one ISP to another,have read a lot of stories about Talk Talk sending in debt collecting agencies when you cancel your payments!
      I want to swap because I already have Sky TV.
      What is the process for getting my line back to BT and then getting Sky Talk and Sky BB?
      Or would I be advised to stop where I am because it is all working fine?
      Thanks

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Undercroft View Post
      As anybody on this forum swapped from TalkTalk to Sky and if so how did it go?
      .Scared about all the agro of trying to swap from one ISP to another,have read a lot of stories about Talk Talk sending in debt collecting agencies when you cancel your payments!
      I want to swap because I already have Sky TV.
      What is the process for getting my line back to BT and then getting Sky Talk and Sky BB?
      Or would I be advised to stop where I am because it is all working fine?
      Thanks
      Well after my dreadful experience with TalkTalk as posted earlier on the thread I can't imagine its going to be easy. Is your 12 month contract up? If so try asking for a MAC code see how it goe's. It will also depend if you are on LLU product or a rebadged BT product. I believe if you are on LLU then you have to clear the line first, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The actual problem started when you signed up for Sky whilst having a TalkTalk phone line. It's not that Sky can't be physically be provided on TalkTalk (although the terms and conditions do state that you need to have a BT phone line, ie be paying line rental to BT) but if anything goes wrong then they can't do anything about it. Sky have a contract with BT for fault fixing etc, but not with TalkTalk.

What the specific problem is that TalkTalk almost certainly "hijacked" your connection. This means that they installed LLU equipment in your exchange and submitted a bulk migration order to BT and this moved all the customers they had on record to their new LLU equipment (not knowing what exchange you are on I cant be sure, but it is by far the most likely scenario). The problem this causes is that Sky's records would not have been updated by BT and as such Sky's systems would still show you as active. As your line was originally with TalkTalk when the broadband order went through Sky wouldn't be able to get BT to help at all. The only thing they can do is cease and reprovide, and this does take time.

Sorry I know this doesnt help your situation but I thought a better understanding of why this has happened might help you with the frustration of it all. If it doesn't then once again, I apologise.

For the record it is the SRT or CRT team you would need to speak to to find out what stage your order is at, they are part of Provisioning.