Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet light won't come on

This is a discussion on Internet light won't come on within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been trying to get connected for two weeks after being activated. I have a main phone socket in ...

Mazzermels is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bury
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Internet light won't come on

I have been trying to get connected for two weeks after being activated. I have a main phone socket in my front room and have another socket which comes from outside (so it's not an internal extension) in my kitchen - whcih was fitted when I got a sky box. Although I have had a '1394' Local Area Connection the whole time - the green internet light does not come on. I've tried disconnecting everything and just plugging straight into the phone socket, or plugging in with the filter and short cable that Sky provide. Nothing works. Last night I was on the phone with someone from Tier 2 for 1.5 hours and he suggested taking the router into the front room, taking the face plate off the phone connection and plugging the router into the 'test' connection. It finally worked. I then pulled it out, put the face plate back on and then plugged it back in. It still worked. However, when I unplugged it again and then put in my Sky HD Box and phone line into the filter, it stopped working. I did the whole thing again - but then the phone socket stopped working until the face plate was removed and only the test socket now works. I can't even get my phone to work in the main socket while the face plate is on. I still can't get anything in the kitchen. now the weird thing is that I had Talk Talk Broadband until recently and had no problem with my side of the connections. I have also never had a problem with the main phone line before - so what is going on ? Sky told me to phone BT and get them to investigate and they in turn suggested I pay them 120 for a call out charge and 99 to fix any problems. I told them politely to go away. As far as I am concerned - something in the hardware is faulty - or I need to do something somewhere to activiate somethign or other ! I'm not sure if this is in fact an engineering problem or if it's simply a matter of messing about in Internet Options. I have tried my old Talk Talk BB ADSL filters and cables and this does not help. Can I use my old Speedtouch router from TalkTalk with Sky Broadband ?

I am desparate. I had an incredibly bad experience with Talk Talk and they eventually let me out my LLU contract when it became evident (after actually gettting responses from Charles Dunstone - and if anyone wants to know the telephone number for the high level customer services person - let me know !!) that I was never going to get above 0.3meg (yes lower than dial up) even though my line supported 6meg.

Please take pity on me and help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      sky43389 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02085
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Internet light won't come on

remove the faceplate nd stuff. Re wire the whole house which should be ezy enugh. Im going 2 hav 2 do tht i hav the same problem except my light dusnt even cum on

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

But if Talk Talk Broadband router worked in the same socket, why won't the sky router ? Surely the fact that the Talk Talk router worked in the socket means that there isn't a wiring issue ?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If it works in the test socket then it dose sound like there is a problem on your internal wiring or sockets, after all the test socket is there to test the line and it works, it could be a fault has recently developed and unfortunately that is down to you to fix! Is the extension hard wired into the back of the main socket or is it plugged into the front of it?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well it's not an extension as such. It was fitted by Sky when they installed another skydigital box in my kitchen. The wire is quite thick and is coming from outside (i.e. it is not an external extension connected to the main phone socket and there is no internal connection between the two).

I'm not sure how they have done this - perhaps they've split it at the source outside (I will have to look outside tonight to see how they've done it). I then got an electrician to basically stick this behind my skirting Board and then put a face plate on it.

If it was working with phone, sky digital and dial-up - should it follow that it also works with ethernet connection or it this a different type of data ? Even so - it did work with TalkTalk - although I appreciate that something could have happened to the line since ? Big storms ?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Any extension should be either connected directly into the back of the master socket "The socket with the test plug" or plugged into the front of it with a spitter which is Skys normal method of wiring extensions for digibox's, The reason for this is that the master socket has extra components in it to protect against lightening and noise, If your extension is connected before the master then that is incorrect and you are open to problems and possible damage to equipment from lightening, although the Master wont stop a direct strike to the line, it will stop static spikes that can occur during a storm and easliy damage modems phones routers etc.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Internet light won't come on

Thanks Koala

Managed to sort it out. You were right about the extention stuff. After tracing where the extension came from - although it's outside it actually does feed into the main phone socket. Prat that I am, I unplugged the extension from the main socket and put that through the ADSL filter. Now that I've plugged that in and then plugged the ADSL filter into it - everything is OK. Well - technically - because although I now have a green light - I still can't get on. Gonna browse through the forum to see what's up with that now !

Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you were previously using a modem connected via USB, Go into tools on explorer, then internet options, then connections and make sure "Never dial a connection" is ticked and then go into LAN settings box tick "auto detect settings" then save.