Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection Advice - whats the best?

This is a discussion on Connection Advice - whats the best? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Had sky broadband installed after the modem turned up last week 2 months after cancelling it (fantastic service) The problem ...

MrSpoons is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Advice - whats the best?

Had sky broadband installed after the modem turned up last week 2 months after cancelling it (fantastic service)

The problem I have is that the modem is downstairs and the PC is upstairs

I've tried connecting it through wireless using a Netgear WG311T PCI card directly to the router and the speeds are shocking.
      I've just bought some Homeplugs to extend the network and while they work perfectly under XP giving me download speeds of 1.2mb they stutter when running under Ubuntu and I have no idea why.

Seeing as I use Ubuntu and really don't want to use XP unless in a dire emergency I've got a few options.

- Buy a new router to replace the sky one - which one would you lot recommend and would it give me a decent speed?
      Get a telephone line extension put into the bedroom and plug the sky router straight into it - will this affect the speed on the line at all?
      Get a CAT5 cable run from downstairs to upstairs - the missus won't be happy with this unless its outside the house. Does anyone know of any companies installing network cables domestically the West Midlands/Wolverhampton area

2. Advertisement
      wingnut is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection Advice - whats the best?

Cat5 mate if you can and cant find any errors. I wouldnt just assume that the adapter and set up you have now is royally useless, try all the little tweaks that you will find on here for wireless settings, make sure you havent got other wireless devices in between the router and your PC (If so change the channel on router for wireless to channel 11) and use TCP Optimizer if you havent already. Or move the PC downstairs somewhere??

Sling as much details as you can up here of what youve tried and i am sure someone will chip in with their experiences and hopefully a fix.

stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is there a TCPOptimizer version for Linux?

The fact that it works under XP and not under Ubuntu suggests the hardware/cabling is not the problem to me but software/drivers/OS...

Have you tried a different Linux distro? (Loads of live CD/USB versions you could try, no idea how they handle wireless though - I don't know much about Linux unfortunately, though I've had a little play around with Suse and a bit with SLax (I have Slax on my USB pen))

MrSpoons is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelaw View Post
      Is there a TCPOptimizer version for Linux?

Don't think there is - lots of grepping and terminal work though which is always entertaining
      Would try a different version of Linux but the missus is very happy with Ubuntu and the support is very good so I have to stick with it.
      Might try and sort out one of the 3 non-working phone sockets next to the PC and bring the router upstairs. I'm sure one of them used to work so it will be trial and error
      Last edited by Saturday; 15-02-07 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote