Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UK Online or Sky - Who's Correct?

This is a discussion on UK Online or Sky - Who's Correct? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, so Sky BB Max is finally available in my area and I decide to go ahead with it. I ...

kevin_g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coatbridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

UK Online or Sky - Who's Correct?

Ok, so Sky BB Max is finally available in my area and I decide to go ahead with it. I call up my current provider, UK Online, and ask for a MAC code.

"Sure," they said, "who are you switching to?"
      "Sky Broadband!" I reply, cheerily.
      "Oooh...in that case your MAC code won't work" they inform me.

Now I've worked tech support for 2 different BB companies, and my first thought is "Damn it. My line is LLU"

So I say, "Bugger. Is it an LLU line I've got? I'm only on 2 meg." and they reply (here it comes).....

"No no, you're line is ADSL, but because Sky own us BT can't tell the difference between our MAC codes and theirs. You'll have to cancel with us and get Sky to reconnect"

" " I thought...that can't be right surely to goodness!

So I called Sky and asked if a UK Online MAC code would work - and they said it would work dandyo as long as the line was not LLU. Another call to UK Online and they still said it wouldn't work, but I was welcome to try. So I got a MAC code and gave it to Sky today.

Does anyone know if UK Online are correct? Have I just opened the floodgates for something nasty, or will Sky come through and deliver my shiny up-to-16-meg service with a minimum of downtime?

2. Advertisement
      KILL BILL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: spam
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: UK Online or Sky - Who's Correct?

i thought that ukonline used the easynet network for their llu the same as sky does so in effect you should not have a problem with the mac code

get someone higher up

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Kevin

Sorry mate but until the new Migration rules come into force tomorrow you are in no mans land as far as MAC Codes and SkyBB and UK-Online are concerned up to now anyone who has tried to migrate from one to the other has had to do a cease and re-provide.

With luck all that will change as of 14th Feb.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
      Hi Kevin

Sorry mate but until the new Migration rules come into force tomorrow you are in no mans land as far as MAC Codes and SkyBB and UK-Online are concerned up to now anyone who has tried to migrate from one to the other has had to do a cease and re-provide.

I dont think migrations will apply as its the same provider (easynet) in both cases.
      You'll probably find that if you did get a MAC from UKOL, you could give it to Sky, but then BT would reject the MAC code once an order is submitted, as its the same provider.
      I think this has always been the reason why people wanting to do this have had to go through a cease and reprovide, i can't see these new migration rules making any difference to this.
      Last edited by jb51053; 13-02-07 at 08:28 PM.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

so why can't Easynet and BT get together to sort this out, as there is obviously a flaw in the in-house migration so to speak
      "To help would be a great adventure"

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      so why can't Easynet and BT get together to sort this out, as there is obviously a flaw in the in-house migration so to speak
      It's not just easynet though, what's the point in OFCOM forcing ISP's to issue MAC codes for every request they get, and have to accept every inbound migration request they get if BT can then refuse it once it gets submitted to them, it will just cause complaints against ISP's when the problem is actually BT refusing the MAC. Looks like there is no "in-house migation" or it wouldn't be an issue

kevin_g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coatbridge
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
      Hi Kevin

Hmmmm, a case of crappy timing on my part and bad information on Sky's. So, if I'd waited one extra day to provide Sky with my MAC code there - as far as we know - wouldn't have been any problem. But because I've given it to Sky today it'll likely be rejected?

Seems to me that one of two things should have happened today.
      1. Sky should have told me that a UK Online MAC wouldn't work, instead of saying that it would.
      or
      2. The guy who took my MAC code from me should have told me to call back tomorrow.

He did an ADSL check on the line which presumably returned the fact that UK Online are the curent provider. If the MAC is rejected I won't be taking Sky BB. I simply can't afford to have a 10 to 14 day downtime while I'm waiting for re-provisioning.

It's a shame, because 10 a month for the Max package is a good deal. I just hope that someone at Sky is using some initiative and holding back today's UKO migrations until tomorrow.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

cant the same protocols be used for UKO to Sky as are connect users to LLU are being moved?
      "To help would be a great adventure"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jb51053 View Post
      It's not just easynet though, what's the point in OFCOM forcing ISP's to issue MAC codes for every request they get, and have to accept every inbound migration request they get if BT can then refuse it once it gets submitted to them, it will just cause complaints against ISP's when the problem is actually BT refusing the MAC. Looks like there is no "in-house migation" or it wouldn't be an issue

So what happens if you want to move from:

Nildram - Pipex - F2S = All same ISP technically same as Sky / Easynet

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      cant the same protocols be used for UKO to Sky as are connect users to LLU are being moved?
      Guess not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast