Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky speed?

This is a discussion on Sky speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by h8ball Hi, Unfortunately, the list of Easynet unbundled exchanges at The Broadband Resource website doesn't include the ...

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky speed?

Quote Originally Posted by h8ball View Post
      Hi,

Unfortunately, the list of Easynet unbundled exchanges at The Broadband Resource website doesn't include the maximum LLU speed that's supported by Exchanges.

You're only 420m from your Exchange and have EXCELLENT line conditions, certainly good enough to get you at LEAST 14000-15000Kbit. However, you only get 8096Kbit, which is ALMOST 8192Kbit (8Mb). To me, ALMOST 8Mb is an immediate tip-off that makes me suspect BT currently ONLY have your Exchange unbundled up to 8Mb maximum!

It's not Sky that have you capped. It's BT! As such, I'd recommend you contact BT and ask them to confirm this. If your Exchange IS currently only enabled for 8Mb LLU, they may be able to give you an approximate "planned upgrade date" for 16Mb LLU.

I'm still looking for Exchange info that DOES detail maximum LLU speeds. I'll post back when I find it.

Hope this helps.
      Hi,
      Its got nothing to do with BT, once an LLU provider has their own equipment in the exchange, the speeds available to users once they are connected to the LLU providers DSLAM are dictated by the LLU provider and not BT.
      All the line cards that are used in Sky DSLAMS are ADSL2+ capable, so are all capable of running lines up to 16Mb, this line seems to have been capped to 8Mb by Sky (there's no way it can be BT as BT do not have access to sky's DSLAMS to config the speeds on each port)

And you're probably not likely to find details on what the maximum LLU speeds are in an exchange as it is dependant on the DSLAM and Line cards that different LLU providers use, some may only use ADSL, some ADSL2+, others SHDSL, or a combination of all of them.

JB

2. Advertisement
      uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well as far im aware BT/Openreach are still involved on Sky/Easynet LLU exchanges as some are connected into the BT BES backhaul to Easynet main POP for example mine is backhauled from exchange down to Leicester to be pumped into the Easynet core network. This is of course unless you live in amain town centre where Easynet have got their own fibre network to link exchanges to POP or in London,Edinburgh,Manchester and Birrmingham they have own Metronet.

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

The exchange backhauling via a BT BES does not mean BT influence the maximum speed that an LLU provider will provide on the DSL lines between its own DSLAMS its customers though (i.e. unbundled up to 8Mb or unbundled up to 16Mb as per previous posters comments) thats entirely down to the LLU provider.

h8ball is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@ALL

Hmm. I seem to a sparked a bit of a discussion here!

I found my Exchange info on a non-BT site, so I'm not sure if its info was correct, but it DID say I was LLU'ed up to 8Mb. And, seeing as 8096Kbit is VERY close to 8192Kbit (8Mb), I posted based on the info I had, stating that this was maybe the case. However, I may be wrong, which is why I suggested calling BT to confirm it.

Since my last post, I've called BT myself. Predictably, they were "unable" to tell me whether my Exchange supports 8Mb or 16Mb max. If I could just CONFIRM this, I'd be a happy camper! LOL!

Maybe it's just as simple as a BT Engineer dropping a clanger. For example: Plugging the BT Line into the wrong port on the DSLAM, i.e. G.DMT port (8Mb max) instead of ADSL2+ port (24Mb max)? Or forgetting to switching the port from G.DMT mode to ADSL2+ mode? Best thing is to call BT and get them to check things out. You never know!

I'm a PC Engineer, and I've occasionally installed an Ethernet card that defaults to 10Mbit (10BASE-T mode) and have forgotten to enable 100Mbit (100BASE-T mode) on it to MATCH the 100Mbit network it's connected to, so it's capped at 10Mbit on a 100Mbit network! Then I get the inevitable call from the Customer, "My PC's taking a LONG time to load large files from the network, MUCH longer than anyone else's PC!" - - - OOPSY!
      Last edited by h8ball; 21-02-07 at 04:15 PM.

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just noticed that my exchange has got an MSAN installed and in service as well as two DSLAMs does this mean that it could be going over BTs 21st network ?

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Creepypete -

You can use this to find your router's detailed stats:

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

("Get detailed modem stats" then "download netgear.cfg file")

[from this thread: How to obtain your username and password from the sky router

It'll start off with something like this.....

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9496 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.1 11.0
      Attn(dB): 44.0 27.2
      Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 9700 864
      Rate (Kbps): 9496 764

If you're capped, it'll say "G.DMT" for Mode, instead of ADSL2+, & "Interleave" for Channel, instead of Fast.

As you already know your sync speed ("Rate") is 8096, I'd assume that your connection is in fact capped at 8096 on G.DMT. If you were on ADSL2+, you'd probably get near enough full speed with a noise margin & attenuation as great as yours are AFAIK.

My connection was initially capped at 8096 using G.DMT & Interleave. It's now on ADSL2+, & my sync speed varies between 8 & 9mbps, depending on time of day (affects the noise margin) [unfortunately my attenuation is too high to get much more speed out of it]

Also, as you're on the "Max" service, there should be no "training period". That's only for the "Connect" (ADSLMax) package.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 21-02-07 at 11:53 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123