Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Gaming on Sky BB

This is a discussion on Gaming on Sky BB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm on my way to Private First Class (after 1.5 hours of play), lol. But I'm guessing it wont take ...

Ratti3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      I'm on my way to Private First Class (after 1.5 hours of play), lol. But I'm guessing it wont take me long to get to Major General, I'm quite good at shoot-em-ups.

I had to order a new GPU to play it.

2. Advertisement
      skalpel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Interleave gets a a bad rap from the kind of gamers who like to claim lag is the only reason they get their arses handed to them, but at most it will add 16ms to your latency - and probably not even that. It will show up as a ~20ms addition to the round trip time on a simple ping because of the nature of the beast, but for the kind of packets thrown around by most FPSs it won't add more than 10ms to your ingame ping, and if that makes a difference to your play then I'd advise laying off the caffiene

I moved from fast-path to interleaved when I upgraded from 8 to 22 (well, 15) meg with UK Online, and it really hasn't effected my BF2 or CS:S performance, which I'll admit, isn't particularly stellar.

The thing is, unless your line is absolutely perfect, noise-wise, interleave is probably better even for gamers. Even if you assume it adds a constant 10ms to your pin, that has to be better than losing 3 or 4 packets at a crucial time because your fridge starts up, or a car with dodgy electrics drives past the junction box, or any of the other myriad things that can cause bursts of noise on your line.

bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I play alot of online games ut ut2003 and 2004 also cod cod2 mohaa spearhead ect if anyone wants a game add me to xfire bulldog125

englishwhistler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Xbox Live

I've just worked out to do this on my router and it's great - working to a tee

http://www.portforward.com/ is a great site and tells you how to configure the router step by step

TELEMETRY is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Online gaming

I play Half life 2 with no problems, one thing I have noticed is a few error messages stating that I have the wrong IP class for the server, but this does not apply to them all.

LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I phoned tech support and they answered the phone immediately. I asked about interleaving and he put me on hold for 2 minutes while he talked to a "super visor" who said gaming was not possible on the Max connection, and that I should change to one of the lower packages! He said because it was "too fast".

Only by changing to a lower package could they offer such options. What a complete load of crap. Perhaps the supervisor should get a computing qualification because whatever he has now is not worth the paper it is printed on!!

That is probably the worse piece of crap I ever heard, worse than a comet salesman.

After putting me on hold as he spoke to tier 3 support, he came back and said they could not turn off interleaving because I would not be able to connect!!!!!!!

OMG The incomptence amazes me. I gave him a big lecture and then I said I will call them back later.

Who has sucessfully got interleaving turned off? and do you know who you spoke to and what day/time did you phone them?
      Last edited by LuckyKnight; 21-09-06 at 03:31 PM.

LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ok guys looks like I hit the jackpot I phoned them tonight, and asked for tier 3 support straight away. I was transferred (eventually) and I was kept on hold for 1hr 45 minutes!

Then it happened - I asked for interleaving to be turned off and to be put on a fast profile. After checking my line he did it straight away, no hassle, no arguments lol

Finally someone at Sky who earns there paycheck

My ping has changed from around 35 - 45ms (should have recorded it) to 14ms (that is to www.jolt.co.uk).
      Last edited by LuckyKnight; 21-09-06 at 09:19 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234