Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How safe is wireless?

This is a discussion on How safe is wireless? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; exactly how safe is it? i obviously use the mcafee package it came with. what about the wireless version? i've ...

jarr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

How safe is wireless?

exactly how safe is it? i obviously use the mcafee package it came with. what about the wireless version? i've heard people have had problems with modem compatability. many of you lot got it?
      advice please, thanks

2. Advertisement
      welshwales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caerphilly
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How safe is wireless?

Quote Originally Posted by jarr View Post
      exactly how safe is it? i obviously use the mcafee package it came with. what about the wireless version? i've heard people have had problems with modem compatability. many of you lot got it?
      advice please, thanks
      modem compatibilty?

Sky send you a modem how would it not be compatible? Others can be used btw search this sight on how to sort that.

Wireless is as safe as you make it, its down to the user to encrypt their service or suffer the consequences :P

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think what he meant was is it compatible with other wireless devices. AFAIK as long as you set the modes the same in both devices then other manufacturers wireless devices should be able to communicate with the sky router. My daughter uses a belkin wireless usb device which works fine with the sky router.
      You are quite right in saying it is vital to encrypt the service - i have gone a step further with this by telling the router only to allow my daughters pc mac address to connect.
      cheers
      dave

hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

There are in-built default measures to make the connection secure - first off, a passphrase is needed to connect to the router. As has been mentioned, you can then take it a step further and take extra precautions - let's assume the passphrase is known by your neighbour (though I'm not sure how!)... you then tell the router to only allow wireless connections from particular computers. For instance, I have told my router to only allow wireless connections from the laptop and PC in our home. Even if someone knew the passphrase, they would then need to be using one of my computers to use the router wirelessly.

On top of that, you can always look into your router page and see what the attached devices are - an added re-assurance as to who is connecting through your router if you're worried.

I also turned off ping response in the router which may help with general security? I think it needs to be ticked for certain internet uses though.

In terms of general PC safety, I personally found the McAfee software as bad as Norton and just installed two free programs for Anti Virus and Firewall.

lrostoke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My daughter loves wireless, brought her a laptop for xmas and so far when visiting friends etc she's managed to find an unsecured network to log in to