Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can connect to internet using wireless, but not LAN !!

This is a discussion on Can connect to internet using wireless, but not LAN !! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, I've tried phoning Sky to sort out this problem, but they were next to useless, so I was ...

cjb295 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can connect to internet using wireless, but not LAN !!

Hi Guys,

I've tried phoning Sky to sort out this problem, but they were next to useless, so I was hoping someone on here would be kind enough to help.

The facts as they stand are:

1. While running the installation CD, the part where it checks for a connection failed.

2. On the netgear box the power light, wireless, and "1" lights are solid green. The internet light is solid green, but does give 2 quick flashes every 10 seconds or so. Does this mean there's a problem?

3. Using IE, I can't connect to 192.168.0.1 or any other website; all I get is "This page cannot be displayed".

4. Under the PC's network connections, apart from the old dial-up modem, there is an entry for a 1394 connection, which says it is connected. Is this the entry for the netgear box?

5. As stated in the post title. When I use my laptop to connect wirelessly, it connects to the internet without any problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance, Chris

2. Advertisement
      Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Can connect to internet using wireless, but not LAN !!

hi
      point 1 u dont need the cd [unless u are going to put on mcafee[which i wouldnt ,as it can and does cause problems]my dog ate it and it only contains sky's version of ie6[not the dog the cd ;0
      point 2 is the router syncing with the exchange ,mines used to blink every ten seconds ,its a ping command on router or its the router checking noise level etc [its set for 10 second intervals] if u get into the router using laptop untick the unnp a and ping [wan settings respond to ping untick]point 3 is weird as it should give you acces to router stats and wireless settings etc [no idea why u cant access this try through your laptop ]point 4 thats your ethernet connection on your pc

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by cjb295 View Post
      Hi Guys,

I've tried phoning Sky to sort out this problem, but they were next to useless, so I was hoping someone on here would be kind enough to help.

The facts as they stand are:

1. While running the installation CD, the part where it checks for a connection failed.

2. On the netgear box the power light, wireless, and "1" lights are solid green. The internet light is solid green, but does give 2 quick flashes every 10 seconds or so. Does this mean there's a problem?

3. Using IE, I can't connect to 192.168.0.1 or any other website; all I get is "This page cannot be displayed".

4. Under the PC's network connections, apart from the old dial-up modem, there is an entry for a 1394 connection, which says it is connected. Is this the entry for the netgear box?

5. As stated in the post title. When I use my laptop to connect wirelessly, it connects to the internet without any problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance, Chris
      A 1394 connection is a firewire connection, if you only have a 1394 connection and a dialup connection in your network connections then something aint right, an ethernet connection on your pc (which is what you should be using to connect to the router) would be labelled as "Local Area Connection"

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I found out what the problem was. The ethernet had been disabled in the bios. Now it's enabled the PC connects happily to the internet.

It's a shame that Sky tech support didn't ask me if there was an entry for "Loacl Area Connection" in the network connections.

Thanks again for the help, Chris

Samir is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Chris,

I seem to have the same probelm as yours. can you tell me how you changed the ethernet settings in the bios.

Cheers
      Sam

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Sam,

To enter the bios you need to press a particular key when the PC boots up. It's usually something like DEL, F2 or F12. Your PC's motherboard manual should have all the details.

Once in the bios you need to find the part that refers to the ethernet connection and make sure that it says "enabled". Once this is done, you should "save and exit". The PC will continue to boot up into your operating system, and it should find the broadband modem.

Also, under the network connections section of the PC (presuming you are using windows) you should now have an entry called local area connection.

Good Luck,
      Chris

Paranoia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pentyrch
      Broadband ISP: Migrating
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This issue may also be caused by a lack of drivers for the ethernet card, or it being disabled in the device manager, I believe.

bobson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've got a similar problem (see link to post below), but my LAN option is displayed, and I think it's enabled in the BIOS. But still no connection.

It used to work fine! God knows what I've done to break it. Too much Bit Torrent maybe?

Can't connect to router or internet

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

bobson have you reset the router to sky default at the back of your router stick a pin or pen in the little hole next to your power cable hold it for 15-20 secs and see if that does the trick

if you have tried that i apologise