Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newsgroup Question

This is a discussion on Newsgroup Question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently got sky broadband on with the connect package and would like to use newsgroups such as xnews, can ...

Tambo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Newsgroup Question

I recently got sky broadband on with the connect package and would like to use newsgroups such as xnews, can someone please tell me if i have to get a server aswell and if so what is the best but cheapest one to go with, sorry if this seems a daft question but i don't know much about computers, thanx

2. Advertisement
      rob5ta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Newsgroup Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
      I recently got sky broadband on with the connect package and would like to use newsgroups such as xnews, can someone please tell me if i have to get a server aswell and if so what is the best but cheapest one to go with, sorry if this seems a daft question but i don't know much about computers, thanx
      It sounds as though you have not used Newsgroups before, am i right?. If that is the case then hopefully i can give you some advice.

I currently use Easynews.com and have done for the last couple of years. The reason why i chose them over the competition is due to the fact that you can browse and search groups via their web interface instead of having a news reader client installed. Also there is a very good web based file manager which you can zip files together and download in one file. You get a 10GB quota pcm, but can get an extra 1/2 GB each week by completing surveys. Cost is $10 per month (works out at just over 5) Which is a bargain in my eyes.

If you dont use all of your allowance then it rolls over to the next month. Always been a spot on service with very fast downloads. Cant comment on speeds with Sky Broadband, as i am just in the process of being migrated over from Nildram. I am hoping that the service will be as good, as newsgroups are my primary activity.

Regards

Rob
      Last edited by rob5ta; 10-02-07 at 04:13 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Newsgroup Question

Hi thanx for the help,I used to use xnews when i was with wannadoo but when i try to use it with sky broadband it doesn't work it says host not found while looking up sky does this mean that i can't look up xnews with sky and need to get a server?

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sky doesnt have a news server [isn't xnews just a news reader ,such as outlook etc] u need to pay for a news server [newshosting is alright for $14.95-[8] a month for unlimited and 45 day retention]although i dont use newsgroups anymore[i dont think sky even has a text only server]

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, thanx for your help i'm now looking through different news servers to find the best deal but it's looking likely that i'll go for newshosting as it's cheap enough and you get unlimited downloads, cheers again

rob5ta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr42 View Post
      sky doesnt have a news server [isn't xnews just a news reader ,such as outlook etc] u need to pay for a news server [newshosting is alright for $14.95-[8] a month for unlimited and 45 day retention]although i dont use newsgroups anymore[i dont think sky even has a text only server]
      Yes, dtr32 is right, SKY do not have news servers unlike other ISP's so you will need to subscribe to a news service such as Easynews who i mentioned in my last post.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Newsgroup Question

I've been looking into the newshosting site to find out if you are entering into a contract but can't see anything about contracts, does anyone know if you are entering in to contract and if so for how long?

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i think newshosting is monthly[as are most newsgroups]although if you pay for 6months or a year it works out cheaper $83.60 for six months is roughly [gets out his fingers and thumbs] $13.92 as opposed to $14.92 [saves u 50 shiny new pence a month ]

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanx for your help now i'm going to sign up for newshosting on a monthly basis.

DIRTY HARRY is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
      I've been looking into the newshosting site to find out if you are entering into a contract but can't see anything about contracts, does anyone know if you are entering in to contract and if so for how long?
      No you don't enter in to a contract you can cancel when you like.

i use ASTRAWEB it has unlimited for $10 per month and has a massive 60 day retention. I use the 90 gig for $25 option as i don't download as much as i used to so this way the 90 gigs last until it runs out even if that takes me 2 years

Also a good site to use is NEWZBIN this is a site that costs you 25p a week but is well worth it has it hosts NZB files which means you don't have to search newsgroups for headers! Just click on what you want to download and then your newsreader will open and download it .

I use GRABIT as my newsreader as it is free and is excellent for binarie files.

Some more apps you will need if you are using newsgroups are Winrar which unrars all the compressed files you download and also quickpar this programme checks the download is complete and if it is not then it repairs it (thats if you have downloaded the par2 files)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast