Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Problem or DNS problem?

This is a discussion on Wireless Problem or DNS problem? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm on the sky base package. I've had the same two problems from day one almost, and I've tried ...

PhilN is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Problem or DNS problem?

Hi,

I'm on the sky base package. I've had the same two problems from day one almost, and I've tried the obvious things such as changing channel numbers, turning off uPnp, switching off security etc.

The problem seems to be that whilst I can connect wirelessly with a very strong signal, after a few moments the DNS goes down. Sometimes it comes back pretty quickly, but last night it died totally. If I then try to connect to the router itself using just an IP address (192.168.0.1), then I get timeout errors. Resetting the router sometimes fixes this; on occasions when I check router logs there's nothing suspect in them.

So I''m not sure if this is a genuine DNS problem, or something wrong with the wireless. The other computer I have in the house also uses wireless, and seems to have the same problem.

On the couple of occasions when I have connected with cable, the machine connected via cable seems to work very well. This is not a realistic long term option though.

I'm pretty much out of ideas, and the thought of ringing a support line chills me to the bone (as they will get me to try everything I've already tried, try to make out that it's my fault etc etc). I guess I brought this on myself for going for the cheapskate option...

I'd welcome any wisdom from this community - it's nearly to the stage where I want to start paying a company again for internet at home. I seem to recall dialup was more reliable!

Thanks
      Phil

2. Advertisement
      42Diesel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hertford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Problem or DNS problem?

When you say "DNS goes down" do you mean that you cannot access any websites? DNS isn't handled in your router but externally. Sounds more likely that either your wireless connection is being lost or your router is losing it's connection to the exchange. I'd test for longer with a wired PC first to eliminate wireless and then check the connection status in the router config screens when you get problems.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for your reply.

I've been using a laptop on an ethernet cable this weekend and not had any problems. Interestingly, when I used the PC on wireless, the DNS problem came back.

So, using wireless, the PC can correctly do the DHCP with the router, and gets allocated an IP address etc. Once thats happened, the PC seems to be incapable of doing anything else with the router. (so any attempt to go to 192.168.0.1 fail, as does using nslookup etc). However, the PC reports that it has a good wireless link, and there doesn't appear to be noise or any other interference. So any good wireless ideas would be appreciated, or else I need to get a 10m ethernet cable.

ADSL itself via cable seems okayish for speed:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2044 kbps 393 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.5 db 21.9 db
      Noise Margin 19.2 db 24.0 db

No idea if these numbers are ok or not :-)

Cheers
      Phil

mkgyl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I seem to have the same problem as yours. The wireless connection between laptop and router is firmed, but the router connection (to internet, i.e DNS etc) drops intermittently. I would either need to reboot or power off the router in order to bring back the connection.

One interesting fact though. The connection is rather stable when my flatmate has his LAN connection established with the router. Whenever the router left with my wireless connection alone, the internet connection is highly unstable - the router show no IP address for the ADSL connection.

Would be great to see if anyone has a solution.

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You dont happen to be running any P2P apps over a wireless connection do you? as this can cause the same thing to happen (I've found it to be the same on 3 completely different makes of wireless router with a variety of wireless network adaptors) Once the P2P app is closed and the port closed on the router the wireless connection begins to behave fine again.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My latest investigations lead me to think that there's something fishy going on with the security.

Now that I've turned totally disabled the security, things seem to work...

tomd84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: I bet you would like to know!
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhilN View Post
      My latest investigations lead me to think that there's something fishy going on with the security.

Now that I've turned totally disabled the security, things seem to work...
      Have you enterd your wep/wpa code correctly on your computer? If this is enterd incorrectly i can cause this to happen!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, all codes were checked a number of times.

I can only think that the 'standards' have been implemented differently by the various hardware vendors. There is a fair bit of anecdotal evidence around to support this view.

As it stands now, it works wirelessly - the router has no security except that it does not broadcast its SSID.

Cheers
      Phil