Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I take the plunge?

This is a discussion on Should I take the plunge? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all... I was attracted to Sky's offering, as I pay 25 a month for my internet now, through Freedom2Surf. ...

MJMoore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dartford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Should I take the plunge?

Hi all...

I was attracted to Sky's offering, as I pay 25 a month for my internet now, through Freedom2Surf. However, I am worried that this is a new (therefore unknown) service, and I'd be tied in for 12 months. What's the general view.. do we think this will be a good service?

Also, once I have my MAC code from f2s, how long does it take before I lose my connection.. as I see there's a delay getting set up with Sky?

Oh.. the decision! It's agonising! lol

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site MJMoore

A lot of people are taking the plunge but as its a new ISP very little is known about it and anyone who does sign up is taking a gamble but in my opinion it has to be worth it especially since the launch of MAX Adsl and the many problems that people have had with that.

The Mac will be valid for 30 days and if its not used then your service with F2S will just continue as normal so you have nothing to fear about losing the connection, the only problem you will have is if takes longer than normal to get you onto SkyBB the MAC could expire and then you would have to apply to F2S for a new one and then start the 30 days all over again.

If you are willing to risk it then go for it and good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

MJMoore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dartford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does anyone know what the chance is of getting anywhere near 16Mb? I don't want to pay extra each month if I'm only going to achieve up to 8Mb. Is there a site somewhere where I can check?

brucemac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Shields
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i live about 900m from the exchange i think and they quoted me a speed of 14.5mb however i am a bit optimistic i will get that.

As i was on pipex anything is better t=han the 1MB i am currently on and saving 15 a month too!

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by MJMoore View Post
      Hi all...

I was attracted to Sky's offering, as I pay 25 a month for my internet now, through Freedom2Surf. However, I am worried that this is a new (therefore unknown) service, and I'd be tied in for 12 months. What's the general view.. do we think this will be a good service?

Also, once I have my MAC code from f2s, how long does it take before I lose my connection.. as I see there's a delay getting set up with Sky?

Oh.. the decision! It's agonising! lol
      hi MJMoore and again welcome

i am currently in the progress of migrating from F2s it took about 3 days to get the MAC code from them and like wheelie said they do last for 30 days (but dont ask for MAC till you get your BAND number from Sky) then Sky said upto 14 days to move across,

hope that helps
      "To help would be a great adventure"

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      MJMoore: There is no sure fire way to know what speeds you will get. I browsed the BeForum and looked at some other peoples stats, with your 19db attenuation you could probably get the full 16mb or slightly under.

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,330 / 15,696
      Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 22.5
      SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 4.0

But keep in mind that Be* users are using a Speedtouch modem and a DMT tool to sometimes change their SNR margin to get a higher sync. I think I read somewhere that the Netgear DG834GT was able to do it too, but the changed telnet authentication on the Sky router is blocking access to it.

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,092 / 7,709
      Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 50.
      SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 6.0

So we could say that 50db = 7.7mb, so 25db would be 15.4mb; which would fit my line perfectly. I would say you get full speed, but you won't know until you're up and running.