Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Desktop slow and laptop won't connect

This is a discussion on Desktop slow and laptop won't connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, I've got sky max for a couple of weeks nog but i'm still having problems with it. My ...

medic1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Desktop slow and laptop won't connect

Hi Guys,

I've got sky max for a couple of weeks nog but i'm still having problems with it.

My desktop pc is working, however i can't get my laptop (using a Sitecome WLAN 11mpbs pc card) to acces to internet.

As soon as i push in the card it detects the sky wireless modem and i see my accountname (SSID) but when i select it and try to enter the network key it gives some weird error and sais something about an asci-code, and that the network key should either be 8 or 13 characters.

However the network key (which i used on my desktop pc and works fine there) is only 8 digits.

Anybody knows how and where to enter that networkkey or what i'm doing wrong ?

I'm online on my laptop now, but not using my network card. I've installed the Belkin wireless network adapter which i use on my desktop as well on this and have that got plugged in now.

And problem 2 is the downloadspeed on my desktop pc. I'm on the max (16 mbps) package, but when i did the routertests i saw i was capped on that g.mt network at a speed of 8 mbps.

However i'm not even getting near that 8 mbps, i did several speedstest and get speeds varying from 2.7 to 3.1 mbps.

Stats on desktop pc with:

- sky broadband max,
      - that white wireless Netgear sky broadband router (product name: 108 MBps Super Wireless ADSL Router)
      - Belkin wireless G+ MIMO usb network adapter.

I called sky today but they kept talking about why they capped me down to 8 mbps.
      I tried to explain that i'm not even worried about that now, my problem is that i'm not getting near that 8 mbps.

The sky guy said he didn't trust any of those 3th party speedtests and that he just tested and said my line showed an 8 mbps downspeed (which is confirmed by the router stats). He also checked my bt line and said that should have no problem with 8 mbps.

But then why i am downloading (usenet, with astraweb payserver) with just round 2.8 mbps all the time ?

I've tried :

- using that TCP optimizing tool
      - removing that frontpanel of my bt socket and using the one behind it (eventhough i'm only living in an apartment with just 2 sockets, one in the living room and 1 in the bedroom)

But i'm running out of options and i really don't know what i do. All the stats are saying i should get 8, but i'm still stuck around 3.

Anyone any suggestions ?

2. Advertisement
      mark_21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rusholme
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Desktop slow and laptop won't connect

The problem with the laptop may be that it's using an 802.11b card and doesn't support WPA encryption. Log into the router and change the encryption to WEP. You'll then need to enter the WEP key-thingy onto your laptops software and off you go.

mark_21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rusholme
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem with the laptop may be that it's using an 802.11b card and doesn't support WPA encryption. Log into the router and change the encryption to WEP. You'll then need to enter the WEP key-thingy onto your laptops software and off you go.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried changing it to to WEP but as soon as i clicked on apply my connection (on my desktop pc) was gone and i could get it back.

Rebooting didn't help, and i tried to reboot the router which didn't help at first either.

I just spend 40 minutes on the phone with Sky and they've got it working now, at least on my desktop pc, they managed to change it back from WEP to "WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)" where it was on before and i've got my connection back on my desktop computer now.

So i don't think i'll be trying the WEP option again, i guess i'll just have to stick to my desktop then and leave my laptop without internet.

A little update on the 1st problem as well (the low speeds), i got a call this morning from someone from Sky (after i email them) and he said he changed my connection to 16 mbps and that i should now get higher speeds.

Old stats :

New stats :

However the speeds on my desktop haven't changed at all, i keep getting a max download speed around 2.7 - 3.1 mbps.

I've talked to this last sky guy (who was very friendly) about it but he doesn't know what's causing the problem. The router sais i'm getting speeds from 16 mpbs and that's all he can see.

Could it maybe be something with my BT line then perhaps ?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought it might had to do with my old mainboard which had slow usb ports, but i've just bought a new mainboard (Asus P5B with an Intel Duo core E6400 Allendale FSB1066 2133Mhz CPU) and connected the Belkin USB network adapter to the new mainboard (which has USB 2.0 ports) but still no improvement.

My router stats still say 16382 kbps but at my desktop it still stays just below 4.

Anyone here has any idea's/suggestions ? everyting is welcome.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Turn off security in the router until you can connect.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Turn off security in the router until you can connect.
      Thanks for the tip.

I'm at work at the moment so i'll have to wait till tomorrow before i can try it but i will certainly will.

So i have to enter my router, turn off the security option (or something) and then i would be able to get higher speeds at my desktop ?

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, I was commenting on the laptop wireless issue. As Mark_21 pointed out (see above) the PC Card is an 11B model which won't support WPA encryption, but will work with WEP. Additionally, the driver/utilities with some 11B models don't allow you to simplify setting up encryption by using a passphrase -- you end up having to use numbers.

If you are unfamiliar with wireless you may also have exactly the problems you describe with password length (I did when letting Windows manage the connection instead of using the adapter's own utility), so I suggest you disable encryption at the router which will make connection much less confusing.

While you're in there, disable UPnP which has caused me and others problems with wireless.

Once you are sure you can connect using the laptop, then apply WEP encryption at the router and figure out how to make it work at the laptop.

If you can't, you could spend 25 on a new wireless adapter which will support WPA and allow you to use the passphrase that Sky supplied.

I'll leave your speed problems with the desktop machine to others who know more than I.

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

My guess would be that your speed problems are entirely down to the wireless rather than anything on skys side now that you are getting full speed on the ADSL side. The fact that sync speed has now doubled but your throughput has not changed kinda points to something on your side of the router.

Have you tried connecting up the pc's to the router via ethernet cable? (i didnt see if mentioned in the above posts) if not, you should. If you find you get decent speeds then, the your issue is the wireless performance between the router and your pc's, which sky can't really do anything about.

JB
      Last edited by jb51053; 03-03-07 at 07:54 PM.