Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will I stay or will I go ?

This is a discussion on Will I stay or will I go ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all. Just signed up to the forum so here goes.........my line went live Friday 26th Jan but I had ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will I stay or will I go ?

Hello all.

Just signed up to the forum so here goes.........my line went live Friday 26th Jan but I had no router which arrived Tuesday 30th. I then spent hours and hours calling Sky Tech Support to try and get access to the internet. I think the problem was the router had no IP address and kept saying Acquiring Network Address when trying to connect. Anyway, after 2 days I then lost patience as I kept being told I would get a call back in 48 hours as the issue had to be escalated or I had to wait until 10 days after line activation date before it can be escalated. Last Wednesday I cancelled the service and asked for a MAC code which I am still waiting for (they insist it must be sent to me by mail and should be here by Friday). I have in total probably made 30 odd phone calls (some 30/40 mins long) to Sky, been told conflicting pieces of information over and over again, been disgusted by the customer service and been internet-less for nearly 2 weeks.

Anyway, a week after I have packed the router away I have this afternoon plugged router in and SHOCK HORROR - the interweb works (no idea why as I told them I wanted to leave a week ago so I doubt anyone has been working on the problem). I have called them to explain and inform them I wish to continue (it is easier than me waiting 6 months for a MAC code). I have been told they are not sure they can "uncancel" the line in time as it is due to be terminated this Friday. Now how difficult is this ? Surely this doesn't take 2 days ? If the line goes dead on Friday I will have to either sign back up with them as a new customer or go back to my old ISP as a new customer and both will take 7-10 days to get back online.

Also, my download speed at the moment is less than 1mb. With my old ISP it was about 2.2mb. The guy claims it has probably slowed down "as the line is about to be cancelled" which I find difficult to believe. Is it winding down for the weekend or something ?

My set up is as follows - telephone extension cable running from master socket to a point nr my TV downstairs. Into that goes filter, router (connected to an xbox 360), land line and sky box. Upstairs I have a PC with a Belkin wireless network adaptor. This set up worked fine before with my old ISP (when using one of their Billion routers).
      Last edited by JamieBee; 07-02-07 at 03:42 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Will I stay or will I go ?

Depends I guess how much money you are likely to save by sticking with Sky and if you are prepared to put up with there poor customer service. I was paying BT 26 a month 18 months ago for a 1mb connection, I am now paying Sky 5 a month for 8mb, I still get frequent disconnections requiring the router to be re-started and as for ringing Sky techy line they are next to useless, but overall I am happy, If I was paying 25 a month I wouldn't be!

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@JamieBee: I have deleted you cross-post.

EDIT: I take it back - looks like one of the other mods got there first!
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is there any reason why my download speed would now barely be 1mbps when before I was getting around 2.2/2.3mbps ? If this cannot be improved upon I may as well go back to my old ISP.

SkyTechSupport is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey Jamie. I know this is probably all the usual nonsense you get told over the phone every time you phone up, but sometimes it's good just to test and see. As far as the cancellation goes, it can take up to 30 days for the "pending cancel" status to disappear, no idea why it's with the "Order status" or "Provisioning" department if you want to ask them, when in doubt ask the agent to talk to a team leader about the exact reason, but if you're online it's a good sign that maybe the cancel isn't going to go through.

As for the speed, couple of suggestions, try sticking the router and microfilter straight into the master socket, then browse to 192.168.0.1 to see what kind of downstream connection speed you're getting, phone technical quickly to ask what your "DSL availability check" says your line can handle, any agent can manage to find that... usually. But that's all you need from them. Say for example the DSL availability check says you can recieve 3mb, if the speed you're getting in the master socket is still barely 1mb then it might be worth having a look on this forum at the guides for messing about with the phone socket to increase the stable speed, there are a lot of helpful guides on here I've discovered. Also, as with all ISPs, you can force your BRAS profile in your exchange to update with your true stable speed by just unplugging the router for 5 mins every night for 3 days, not sure if that's a set in stone fix but it was the best one I could find when we moved on to ADSL Max and our speed sucked, and it worked.

Hope this helps, and good luck with getting the cancel... cancelled.
      Is it wrong to work for the devil? Not if you can make a difference... and he pays well.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

They have told me today that the cancellation is due to happen on Friday and they are unsure whether 2 days will be enough notice to cancel the cancel. If my internet works on Friday, all well and good BUT if it does not they have cut me off and I have to sign up as a new customer which will take 7-10 days. Do not think I will bother if that is the case.

I have plugged my router into the main socket downstairs and am using it wirelessly from upstairs as before. I should have made my question more specific before, sorry - speedtests are coming out roughly the same as when i was with my previous ISP but when downloading from Newsgroups (I have been doing this a few weeks) my download speed is barely 1Mbps when my last ISP was giving me around 2.2Mbps. I cannot understand why.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

"when downloading from Newsgroups (I have been doing this a few weeks) my download speed is barely 1Mbps when my last ISP was giving me around 2.2Mbps. I cannot understand why."

traffic shaping on the connect package may be responsible for this ? one of the mods etc would probably be able to confirm this
      cheers
      dave

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes it looks like it is due to shaping.

I have just called Sky yet again to find out if the cancellation has been reversed and a dozy sounding woman has told me someone has tried to do it but she has no idea whether they have time to do it - very helpful. All I can do is try it tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed - what a professional outfit they are. She also said despite the fact I have called them about 40 times meant nothing and they could not do it urgently. Can I Sky member of staff perhaps help me out here ? The people on the end of the phones that I talk to are absolutely hopeless.

She also said a MAC code has not been sent to me as the line is due to go down even though I have been told that 2 are on the way.

I was going to stay with them as just for peace of mind that I will not lose internet again for another 10 days but they are driving me up the wall

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well as expected my internet worked from last Wed to Fri and then went down Saturday (they cancelled it in error and by the time I told them uncancel it it was allegedly "too late").

Anyway, after sending a very long and sh*tty email to Mr Rupert Murdoch yesterday, I have received a call from their Customer Relations Dept today apologising lots for the service (or lack of) I have received. My old ISP said they can get me up and running by next Wed/Thu as Sky still have a tag on the line until tonight (I don't know why when the service terminated on Saturday) and they cannot place the order until it has gone - they would cost 24 a month though.

I asked Sky how quickly they could connect me again due to what has happened and they have told me the tag has been removed and I should have the interweb active on Monday. They have also agreed to waive the set up fee and refund all of my phone calls (upon me providing a copy of my phone bill of course).

If there was not much difference in the cost I would go elsewhere but 20 quid a month cheaper is quite a saving. As I said earlier in my post, I have probably been less patient than the next person as I was made redundant a few weeks ago and have spent the majority of the time without internet to job hunt. I am presently using my previous ISPs dial up service and it is so painful it is untrue. Fingers crossed for Monday

kevin_g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coatbridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ooft...nasty business there. Just an FYI for folks about the tag problem, BT have a dedicated Tag removal team open to end users and service providers alike. Their number is 0800 169 95 76. Please don't call them abou MAC issues, only Tag problems.
      ----
      On another note, what SkyTechSupport said to you about pluggin into the master socket is sound advice. I worked for AOL tech support and I currently work for another BB provider's tech support (can't name them unfortunately) and the extension cable you have there will be killing anything from 50 to 80% of your speed depending on how long it is.

They tend to work well for about 3 to 6 months then they start to slowly burn out, reducing your signal and your speed.

If your master socket is upstairs and your router downstairs you don't need to worry. RJ11 cables come in lengths up to 10 meters and RJ45 (ethernet) cables can be 100 meters long before you start to get any signal degradation. So you should be able to follow the setup below to help get your optimum performance.

Your setup should ideally be:
      Master Socket->Filter's DSL socket-> RJ11-> Router-> RJ45-> PC/Xbox
      Master Socket->Filter's Tel Socket->Ext Cable->Double adapter with landline and Skybox

Hope this helps.