Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ethernet Bummer

This is a discussion on Ethernet Bummer within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; H8ball Thanks for your excellent post. I had a look at Network Connections last night and could only see a ...

docformat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet Bummer

H8ball

Thanks for your excellent post. I had a look at Network Connections last night and could only see a 1394 connection (that's Firewire right?). I will try out your ideas tonight and get back to you.

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      intheknow! is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

plug both ends into the router in 2 different ports see if any lights come on then. check with a 2nd cable as well.

if no lights then could well be the box needs replaced, if lights do come on, its the cable not having enough power from the ethernet port from ur comp.

h8ball is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@docformat

Did the Link Light test indicate OK? If so, the hardware is most likely fine and it's just a BIOS configuration (on-board LAN not enabled) or Windows driver problem (not installed or problem with current drivers).

If your BIOS checks out OK, run Device Manager and look for the following possibilities:-

Network Adapters
      > Your Ethernet Adapter Name

Red Cross = Drivers are installed but the device has been disabled in your current hardware profile. Simply enable it again.

Yellow Exclamation Mark = Drivers are installed but some problem has been detected. In this case, open the device's Properties dialog and look at "Device status". This will be displaying an error message to help diagnose the problem. Post it here and I'll be able to help further.

NO Symbol = Drivers are installed and "Device status" should be reading "This device is working properly". In this case, the Network Connection which uses that device may have been accidentally deleted. Simply run the Network Setup Wizard to recreate it, then check it's TCP/IP settings are correct.

Unknown Device

If, at some time in the past, Windows autodetected the device on startup and ran the New Hardware Wizard, but you Cancelled out WITHOUT installing any drivers, the device will have been "registered" in Device Manager as an Unknown Device. Simply install the correct drivers and this "placeholder" will be renamed and moved to the correct device category, in your case Network Adapters.

Hope this helps.

Edit [Fri 16/2/07 17:40]: Had any luck, yet, my friend?
      Last edited by h8ball; 16-02-07 at 06:42 PM.

docformat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi h8ball

Sorry for the late reply - very busy.

I managed to get the ethernet working - I had to reinstall drivers on the mo'board. Thanks for your help.

h8ball is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

AHA! Thought so. Glad to hear you got it working!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12