Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

McAfee??

This is a discussion on McAfee?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been using Avast for a few years now. No problem with spam, they just email you in 12-18 months ...

Scallywag is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darwen
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: McAfee??

I've been using Avast for a few years now.
      No problem with spam, they just email you in 12-18 months and ask you to re-register.
      In my opinion its the best free AV out there.

2. Advertisement
      hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuckie View Post
      Im using the windows firewall and it seems OK.
      I have one more question, I am about to register with avast to recieve my key, but the way it is set up seems to me to be that when they get your e-mail address you may start to recieve a load of junk mail?
      This is how 'free' sites sometimes make their money, from advertising, and it has happened to me before, i started recieving about 70 junk e-mails a day!
      I hope this is not the case but as my e-mail is new due to joining sky i want to keep it away from things like that.
      Does anyone know if this site is OK?
      Agree with the next poster, you can always use hotmail or yahoo (I prefer yahoo myself as hotmail seems to have bouts of mail disappearing into cyberspace in my experience).

I myself haven't registered with Avast yet as I tend to wait it out until near the expiration to do it. But there were 4 million downloads of Avast via download.com and I couldn't see any mentions of users being spammed in their comments (added to that, Scallywag's comment), so I would think you're good to go.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
      I've been using Avast for a few years now.
      No problem with spam, they just email you in 12-18 months and ask you to re-register.
      In my opinion its the best free AV out there.
      I completely agree, I have been using this for years although I have never had an email from them when the licence is about to expire, all I get is a red update stating this instead of the usual blue one.

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I've just found this thread after starting a new one asking about McAfee! sorry guys and gals.

I've got to say after reading all the positive posts about Avast, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say it let a trojan through which caused havoc on my pc! I've a dear friend who put me onto Avast a while back saying he had AVG on which also let a virus through.

So now its looking like Avast isn't so good.

With getting the trojan I've had to reformat my pc and have installed McAfee, BUT am now having serious doubts as on another forum, they were saying it was terrible and thoroughly recommended NOD32? so am seriously thinking of trying it. I know you have to pay, but I'm not sure how much.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

McAfee user for 7 years - not 1 virus and system running 100% all day, every day!!!

As for it not working with Vista, register it on an XP machine then go to the McAfee website and download it from your account there - it will download the correct installer for Vista (it would seem the Sky CDs don't have the Vista version on them)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12