Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice about my connection / package

This is a discussion on Advice about my connection / package within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, me again After using Mognuts Sky Netgear DG834GT Utility and it reported that my connection was G.DMT, (and also ...

yorkie_pudd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Intake, Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: SKy MAX (was forced adsl2+ on my netgear but god knows what i'm on now)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Advice about my connection / package

OK, me again

After using Mognuts Sky Netgear DG834GT Utility and it reported that my connection was G.DMT, (and also after considering that I am about 2Km from my exchange with a stable rate around 6Mb so I should benefit from ADSL+2) I contacted support by email.

1st of all, let me say I am VERY impressed with the response and handling of my query - I emailed them late last night and they have telephoned me while I was at work to sort it out.

As I was out, (and the wifes technical limits are lighting a fire with a match) the guy said he was going home and couldn't telephone later so he would email me - no problem with that at all.

The email says this.....

Thank you for contacting broadband technical support.

I had a look at your exchange today and can confirm that you are receiving an ADSL+2 connection, however I also ran a BT test on your exchange and was able to see that the maximum that your exchange is rated for at the moment is 8192Kbps.

You can tell that you are on this service by the upload speed that you are receiving, in your case it is set at the maximum of 768Kbps, if you were not on ADSL+2 it would only be 416kbps.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards

So, first of all, does that sound right? (I know this is an ongoing debate with the mode the router reports - I have read all the threads about it)

and....

secondly, if my exchange is only enabled for 8192Kbps, (and I am within my first week) would I be able to downgrade to the MID package and would I loose anything from downgrading to the MID package? (I have no need for the **unlimited download limits) ie - would i be put back on ADSL1 or whatever, as my connection appears much more stable with far superior data throughput that my old IPStream connection.

Thoughts and experiences please......

y_p

2. Advertisement
      Andy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pevensey
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Advice about my connection / package

I have the same problem with sky and am considering downgrading to the mid service. Please let me know how you get on.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie_pudd View Post
      does that sound right?
      Absolute rubbish actually. If your router reports G.DMT then that's what you're on NOT ADSL2+ (is it you or the Sky person that calls it ADSL+2? ).

We now know (or think we know) that Sky G.DMT is a later variant of this protocol and allows, in theory a downstream connection of up to 12meg and an upstream of 1meg - i.e. much the same as ADSL2 (not 2+). Apparently Sky have found that this mode delivers better stability on long/noisy lines.

You haven't posted your stats so can't comment on what you could/should connect at on ADSL2+.

Broadband ISP: SKy MAX (was forced adsl2+ on my netgear but god knows what i'm on now)
      Thanks

The Sky rep called it ADSL+2 (I used the term ADSL2+ in my email to them).

I understand what you say about G.DMT as probe of my router showed a technically possible maximum of 11.8Mb.

I haven't got a problem with that really, but are some exchanges only enabled at 8Mb? if so, then it's pointless paying for an 'upto 16Mb' service if I can never get it???

Exchange:
      Thanks

To the best of my knowledge all Sky LLU exchanges are ADSL2+ (16meg) enabled.

There's no doubt that Sky cap customers for legitimate reasons due to their line conditions. However, there seems to be occasions where the legitimacy is questionable and reasons given/guessed at include:
      • they've run out of space at the exchange (unlikely);
      • they've installed the wrong equipment (hopefully unlikely);
      • they're trying to reduce bandwidth demand at busy exchanges (hopefully not true)
      • they've messed up the connection/set-up (sounds possible)
      • the Sky rep is making it up/repeating something they've heard (can believe it for T1)

What seems to be true however is that in every case I recall when a customer has dug their heels in somehow Sky manage to put them across to ADSL2+.

Thanks

Right, thanks for that.

Do they have T1 support in the UK - I got the impression it was abroad? The guy who contacted me was most definately white/british and not based abroad. I assumed with the 'tests' they say they've done he was from I higher level of support.

Exchange:
      Thanks

T1 is in Ireland (Belfast) and mainland UK plus "abroad" AFAIK. Also, I've heard T1 can't do any line tests though they may like to give the impression they do/can (they can only read notes).
      Last edited by Saturday; 03-02-07 at 10:04 PM.

themode is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

T1 can do very little line testing. Their purpose, basically, is to fix the most basic and simplistic of problems, and categorise the rest and farm them off to the right people. Whether or not this happens, depends on their understanding of the systems.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie_pudd View Post
      if so, then it's pointless paying for an 'upto 16Mb' service if I can never get it???
      I'm only able to get around 8meg, 'cos of noise & attenuation, but I'm still happy to pay a tenner per month for the "up to 16mbps" service due to the higher upload & the unlimited usage (subject to FUP).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      I'm only able to get around 8meg, 'cos of noise & attenuation, but I'm still happy to pay a tenner per month for the "up to 16mbps" service due to the higher upload & the unlimited usage (subject to FUP).
      Absolutely - if that's what suits you. I have no use for the u/l download but, as you stated above, for a tenner a month, I've stuck with it anyway.