Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Drop in Speed

This is a discussion on Drop in Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm quite a way from the exchange, so normally only get between 1.5 to 2Mb speed anyway. I've recently had ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Drop in Speed

I'm quite a way from the exchange, so normally only get between 1.5 to 2Mb speed anyway. I've recently had some problems with my lines and it turned out to be a dodgy extension (I know, apparently you're not supposed to have it on an extension, but up until yesterday, I was getting the maximum speed for my line length on it, no problems).

The guy came and fixed the line - proper telephone engineer, and he said that, due to my distance from the exchange, I wouldn't notice much of a difference whether I had a new master socket fitted or not.

Anyway, to the point - after he went, I checked my speed using a couple different online speedcheckers and the speed was down to just under 1Mb. I thought it may be the extension, so plugged the router into the main socket, with no other phones connected, still the same result. Plugged it into the test socket - still the same result. Each time I also checked the router stats as well, which were showing around 1800-1900 speed.

I've spoken to Sky who, after trying to fob me off, have put it up to Tier 2.

The question is .... firstly, any clue why this may have happened (I did wonder if there was something going on in the exchange, but there's nothing on Samknows, and Sky claim there's nothing - which is annoying as they actually unbundled my exchange over 2 months ago yet I'm still waiting for the upgrade). Secondly - is there a reason why there is such a difference in reported speeds between the online speed tests and the router stats?

I wouldn't mind so much, but I didn't have that much speed to loose in the first place!

2. Advertisement
      wingnut is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Re: Drop in Speed

Just keep on to sky CS mate and hopefully tiers 2 and 3 can sort it or tell you what the problem is.