Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Capped after 4 months.

This is a discussion on Capped after 4 months. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, great site by the way. I have been connected to Sky Broadband on the Max package since Sept ...

White 74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Capped after 4 months.

Hi all, great site by the way.

I have been connected to Sky Broadband on the Max package since Sept 2006, all seemed good and my router would sync around 10mb during the day and 9mb at night down and a constant 768 up. Around November time my phone line started to get a lot of static on it and I noticed that my upload speed dropped to around 400. I noticed a few BT vans working down the road from where I live so I got BT to test the line and they said that there was no fault, so I then spoke to Sky and within a few hours of me speaking to Sky my upload was back to 768 and the noise on the line had gone (not sure if the two were connected).

Anyway last Tuesday I found that my connection kept dropping every few minutes and there was static on the line again. Wednesday seemed better, then on Thursday my connection started to drop all the time again. I called Sky and the guy I spoke to was very helpful and said I was experiencing still sessions and advised to unplug the router from the phone line and leave it unplugged over night and this should clear it.

Friday morning I plugged it all back in but the problem was still there. I got BT to do a check again but they reported no problem so I phoned Sky from work and they raised a ticket number for the problem. Someone from Sky called my wife at home later in the day to say the problem should be fixed. When I got home the connection was back but my router showed 8096 down and 416 up. I called Sky and was told my line had been capped to resolve the disconnection issue even though everything had been ok for four months.

I noticed last night on my way home from the train station 4 BT vans working down the road from my house again (same place as in November), they were there again this morning along with 2 others down another road close by.

Anyway getting to the point! Does anyone think that my problem could be to do with the work that BT are doing in my area at the moment as I don't want to be capped if I don't need to be. Should I wait until they finish their work and ask Sky to take the cap off my line to see what happens?

Sorry for the long post but it just seems strange to me that my line has been able to handle the 10mb down and 768 up for months then all of a sudden it can't. Oh and I'm about 1.44km from the exchange.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Capped after 4 months.

Welcome to the site White 74

Sorry to read about the problems.

Its quite possible that whatever they are doing is causing the fault as you have said it seems to be happening when they are there working, it maybe an idea to ask them if what they are doing could cause you to have problems and if they say its possible get SkyBB to remove the cap.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and the advice Wheelie. Hopefully Sky will not kick up too much fuss if I ask them to remove the cap.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your Welcome

And if it turns out that its something BT are causing with there work then I doubt they will mind in saying that I think it will take you some time to convince them.

Good luck.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thought I would post my stats, just wondered if someone could take a look and see if there was something that would point to why my line would need to be capped.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 989 1021 0 6 17 12:29:38
      LAN 10M/100M 52 0 0 0 0 12:31:03
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 1272 1305 0 20 7 12:30:53

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 27.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 13.0 db

pavsid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nottingham Longbow
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi White,

It sounds like you're starting to have the same problem as me. They also capped my line at one stage and the most i could connect at was 7-8megs same as you. My understanding of this was that although it seemed to stop the noise on the line initially, it was hiding behind actual the problem.

When they cap you 8meg they are actually putting you on g.dmt mode which i think is similar to the ADSL1 mode that other 8meg ISPs provide. You are meant to be on ADSL2+ mode which gives you the speeds of up to 16meg (or more). Therefore, rather than fixing the cause of the noise on the line they are just degrading your service hoping you won't notice/care.

I might be wrong, but after i asked them to put me back on ADSL2+ mode the noise went away and i could connect at around 12meg again, a few days later though the noise came back. Since then, they seem to have ignored the noise on the line and logged my fault as 'connection keeps dropping' or 'slow download speeds' - and thus they come back saying that the line can't support the high speeds which clearly after having no problems for four months, your line can.

My point is that if our lines can't support the high speeds then why has it worked fine in the past? When there is no noise on the line the speeds are great, and the only time there are crap speeds is when the noise is there right?

To substantiate my argument further, a couple of days ago, they again put me on the g.dmt mode and capped my line to 4megs - obviously hoping it would 'solve' the problem. Unfortunately, the noise is still there...! So again, they have come to the conclusion that the reason for the noise is the high speeds...yet with the capped speed the noise is still there. I cannot help but feel a sense of irony.

Unfortunately mate i can't offer any solutions to your problem but i would suggest pursuing it until you finally get through to them.

By the way, here's my original post outlining the problems i'm having if its any use.
      Last edited by pavsid; 31-01-07 at 01:15 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi pavsid,

Your problem does sound similar, did you have much of a problem getting them to put you back on ADSL2+ ?

pavsid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nottingham Longbow
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No I just rang up, luckily got through to tier 3 and asked him to change it back which he did although he did cap me to 12meg - it worked fine when i was on the phone to him so again thought it might be fixed but a couple of days later it was back again.

I'm gonna phone up again tonight as i should have had a phone back - no suprise that i haven't - and make sure that the fault is logged exactly as it is, not that the signal drops or slow speeds.

I think i've got a good arguement now that capping the speeds hasn't fixed the problem so maybe might get somewhere this time. You might want to wait a couple of days to see if you too start getting the noise again and then they don't have a reason to cap you again.

I'll keep you updated.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just an update on this. I called Sky after BT had finshed their work, I wasn't too worried about the download speed as I was pushed to get upto 10mb on my line before the 8mb cap was put on and my connection has been rock solid at 8mb, no need to reboot to router. My main concern was getting a better upload speed especially for hosting on Xbox live.

Anyway they told me it would take 5 working days for them to test my line a see if the speed could be increased. Got a call from Sky yesterday saying that everthing should now be ok. Logged into the router and download remains capped at 8096kbps but my upload is back to 768kbps which I am more than happy with.

All in all the few times I have had to call Sky I have been impressed with the service I have received. I migrated from Pipex and their customers service was useless. I don't mind that Sky have put me on g.dmt as my download speed wasn't really much better on ADSL2+.
      Last edited by White 74; 16-02-07 at 02:08 PM.

Jelly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilkeston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had a similar problem also, nice to know you got it sorted out. I'm gonna get my mum (It's in her name) to phone up tonight [Sky] and ask them why my upload has suddenly dropped to 396 (Now connceted at 393kbps) and why I'm not getting a better signal (I live about a mile away, pole to pole, from the exchange). Hopefully they'll be able to sort me out with the full 768kbps again.