Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thinking about coming over to YOUR side!

This is a discussion on Thinking about coming over to YOUR side! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, New poster, brilliant forum, I am currently on a 14 a month 10GB allowance with another provider of BBand. ...

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thinking about coming over to YOUR side!

Hi,

New poster, brilliant forum,

I am currently on a 14 a month 10GB allowance with another provider of BBand.

I have the 5 a month e-mail from Sky ~(funnily enough samknows does not seem to say that my exchange is on the Easynet LLU upgrades but hey!)

~I am considering moving over but here is the thing. I hate having to move e-mail addresses. So I was considering purchasing a domain for e-mail forwarding only. Can I forward this to the sky e-mail and then have the Outlook Express "from and reply to e-mail address" being my domain name e-mail? Still following me Basically noone will know my sky address!

I am a websurfer - no games and I am responsible for uploading and maintaining a small website that has nothing to do with my ISP- so not tied in to keeping the ADSL or needing one from Sky. I simply surf, e-mail and very occasionally remote desktop to help the relatives who can't work out how to change a font in MS WORD! Will the sky fiver a month suit me and will the LLU freebie be sufficient?

One other thing: The most important BT say that I can get a maximum speed of 512Kb on the line but I am getting over 2Mb. AS you can imagine I don't want to move to Sky and BT suss that they are giving me 90% of the exchange's speed It is along story. I should always have had 2Mb and 4 months of battling with BT through my ISP I eventually got there, but I don't want to be explaining this to a foreign call centre again! (Is it offshore that Sky Broadband use or will I hear the bonnie tones of my Scottish Counterparts? ) Will my speed start training and yo yoing again when I change over?

I understand it is a twelve month contract but as I am about to purchase Sky + in the coming months why not go all out and have a 12 month contract for evrything that Sky can offer!

Would appreciate any advice and help.

G
      Last edited by newbuilder; 28-01-07 at 12:52 PM.

2. Advertisement
      cprompt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: (Bristol) SSEAV
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Thinking about coming over to YOUR side!

As far as the email side of things are concerned if you register your domain with the right people you can get a fully functional POP/IMAP mailbox thrown in (or for a small extra charge). This mailbox will then be completely independent of your Internet connection. You will simply use your Sky broadband to connect to the mailbox and download or send email. No forwarding will be needed and you wont need to use the Sky mail service at all. In the future, you can move ISP's to your hearts content and you wont even need to change your Outlook settings. If you've got your mailbox set-up on a laptop, you can use any wireless connection out there from any Internet cafe to pick up your mail and your Outlook settings still don't need touching.
      You're looking at 10 pounds a year for a domain that includes a mailbox in the price.
      The other option is to use the Google hosted service.
      Google Apps for Your Domain
      This is a fairly new service from Google that lets you use Gmail for your own domain name. Just register the domain and then point your domain's mail settings at the Google servers. You end up with the full Gmail web and POP based service for your own domain.
      I can't comment on the rest of your post as I am waiting for my line to be activated so I'm still a bit of a Sky BB beginner!
      Last edited by cprompt; 28-01-07 at 01:07 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks cprompt can you PM me or reply with the package you found for a tenner.

For all others.

Questions remain unanswered

cprompt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: (Bristol) SSEAV
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I've been using these guys for the last three years for mainly .co.uk domains although they do all the usual international domains as well.
      Domain Name Registration and Management System
      They're not the best known domain reseller in the land (likes of 123reg etc) but this is why I use them:
      • Good control panel - all the DNS & domain configuration you're ever going to need.
      • Free 100Mb POP/IMAP mailbox with each domain.
      • Small amount of web space for a holding page (good for if you just use the domain for email).
      • Free access to SMTP mail server to send email from your domain (mail servers like to see your mail coming from the server hosting your domain, they are far less likely to mark it as spam).
      • Great support, these guys always reply to your support queries in good time.
      • Most domains are a tenner for a year (uk domains are a tenner for two).

I've got just under 40 domains registered with this firm for clients and never had a problem. Other than that I have no connection with them.
      There are others out there that offer similar services, I'm sure others here have their favorites.
      Hope that helps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Bump

anyone want to answer the remainder of my questions?