Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

peer2peer slow (traffic shaping?)

This is a discussion on peer2peer slow (traffic shaping?) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I signed up this week. I'm on their normal package because my exchange has not been converted yet. ...

StuartPM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

peer2peer slow (traffic shaping?)

Hi all,

I signed up this week. I'm on their normal package because my exchange has not been converted yet. That will happen in the summer I've been told at which point I can move over.

Anyway, my torrents are extremely slow. The broadband itself is good, I get 450k+ on http downloads (only connecting at 5.5m due to distance) but torrents are performing poorly.
      I'm not getting more than 40k total download and 20k upload. Usually even slow torrents max out the upload even if the download is slow.
      I've even changed router to my own custom setup (pfSense linux with bridging modem) and still the same.

So, are sky traffic shaping peer2peer traffic? Will this change when I get on to the proper system (I'll sign up for max)

What torrent performance is everyone else getting and is that on the full package or the stop-gap one I'm on?

I have 10 days left to cancel, I don't want to as they are cheap compared to my old provider (bulldog) but I don't want a speed limit on my peer2peer!

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Stu

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: peer2peer slow (traffic shaping?)

Welcome to the forum

Your profile says Base but you say "I'm on their normal package because my exchange has not been converted yet" which suggests you are on Connect.

There's no obvious shaping taking place on Sky's LLU services as far as I'm aware. There is on Connect.

If you are on Base, have you opened the correct ports in the router firewall? If you are unsure about this see other threads on the forum which will guide you.

If you are on Connect then you may see some improvement by using encrypted traffic - again see other threads for info.

StuartPM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. As you quite rightly said I am on connect. I was in such a hurry to find an answer I forgot to change my profile The nice people at Sky are giving it me for 5 per month until my exchange gets converted.

So, I'm being slowed on my peer2peer stuff. I can live with that as long as when I go to Max I'll be fine. I'm not a big downloader but I probably manage 50-60 gig a month and I like it to arrive in a timely fashion!

So am I to take it that other torrent users get good speeds on Max as its not restricted?

I'm also wondering if Sky will start complaining I'm not using their router? I couldn't find mention of it in their terms and conditions but getting the username and password so I could use a different router was quite tricky. Maybe a post for another thread. I'll have a good read first.

Thanks for the help, you've put my mind at rest.

Cheers

Stu

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yep - reading the forum (especially the stickies) will answer most queries e.g. you'll find info on extracting the user name and password in the Tech forum.

"not a big downloader but I probably manage 50-60 gig a month". Well you're not exactly a light user though are you!

I'm not much of a torrent user, preferring newsgroups, but I can and have easily maxed out my connection at around 10 meg with well seeded torrents.