Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Legality of selling router ?

This is a discussion on Legality of selling router ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, After weeks of annoyance, I called Sky and they offered me a new router. When it arrived, I ...

Router66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Legality of selling router ?

Hi all,

After weeks of annoyance, I called Sky and they offered me a new router. When it arrived, I decided to unlock my original router and sell it on ebay.

Within 24 hours, ebay have removed it from the site and sent me this e-mail :

Dear *********,

Thank you for your recent auction-style listing on eBay. Unfortunately, we removed the following item(s):

33******* - Sky Netgear Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG834GT 108mbps

The rights owner, British Sky Broadcasting - NDS Security, notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of
      this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

The following information may help explain the reason for your listing(s) removal:

A listing or item may violate intellectual property rights if the seller:
      - Uses a manufacturer's photo or item description
      - Lists a counterfeit or fake item
      - Lists illegal copies of media such as music, movies, computer programs, and video games

For more information on Reported by Rights Owner - Unauthorised Item/Listing visit the following Help page:

eBay: Help: VeRO programme

We encourage you to contact British Sky Broadcasting - NDS Security directly if you have any questions. You can send an email to:

skyvero@clients.comsecservices.com

For more information on how eBay protects Intellectual Property visit the following Help page:

How eBay Protects Intellectual Property (VeRO)

Your eBay fees for this item have been credited to your account. All bidders on this item have been notified of its cancellation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Repeated offences of this or other eBay policies may result in the suspension of your account.

eBay understands that it can be frustrating to have a listing removed. If you have further questions, you can take the following steps:

- Take eBay's brief tutorial on Intellectual Property Policies and VeRO
      - Read the ended listings FAQ at eBay: Redirect
      - Ask eBay a question using the link on the above help page

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

What have I done wrong ?

I have e-mailed Sky for an explanation

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Legality of selling router ?

A listing or item may violate intellectual property rights if the seller:
      - Uses a manufacturer's photo or item description
      - Lists a counterfeit or fake item
      - Lists illegal copies of media such as music, movies, computer programs, and video games
      Gives the clue, however the Sky router has to be kept for 12 months, after all, thats the contract everyone signs up to.

The router has a Sky logo on it for a start and so selling a Sky router flashed with standard bios, is not a Sky router no more. However you are selling it for a profit with their logo on it.

There could be numerous reasons, but they invested a lot of money to give you that router and you are selling it on ebay. I would be unhappy too.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Gives the clue, however the Sky router has to be kept for 12 months, after all, thats the contract everyone signs up to.

The router has a Sky logo on it for a start and so selling a Sky router flashed with standard bios, is not a Sky router no more. However you are selling it for a profit with their logo on it.

There could be numerous reasons, but they invested a lot of money to give you that router and you are selling it on ebay. I would be unhappy too.

You have a very fair point there - understand that fully, but :

You would have to take just about everything with a company logo on it off ebay if you were going to stay consistent. When I got the router it said 'free', but never said that I had to keep it

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Fair point, but when you have bought the item originally, ie a Sony TV and then decide to sell it you should have no problem, unless you advertised it with a Sony picture after adding Panasonic insides to it.

I am only guessing, I bet Sky are just narked at people using their own routers and selling the Sky ones on Ebay, we don't know.

Copyright is an expensive thing to defend in court and so Ebay have just taken the easiest and cheapest route available to them.

We may never know the full reason - only speculate.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Suffering Sam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 952
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NR has softened his stance on SKy lately after they started advertising on this site and effectively subsidizing it. Thats not how it started ! Toeing the line ? Hope not. Should be championing the cause of the consumers here.

Look what happened to NTLHELL site.They got bought off by NTL.

With that involuted logic, all the worlds brand owners of any goods can close down ebay.

Sky high handedness ? You bet.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well for your information Sky do not pay us to advertise on this site, and I have not softened my stance, I am surprised and disappointed by that comment.

We are not NThell and even if Sky did pay to advertise, we are an independent site, how many times do I have to say that?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 24-01-07 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added "pay us to" and "and disappointed"

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Suffering Sam View Post
      NR has softened his stance on SKy lately after they started advertising on this site and effectively subsidizing it.
      I don't think there was an need for that. I haven't seen anyone soften their stance, NewsreadeR has been more than helpful to everyone that has asked for help on hear and has both criticized Sky when they have messed up and given them praise where it is due, so to say that is completely ridiculous.

jennifer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LocksH
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Foxsat HDR
      Thanks

"Your Broadband Box (except the software in it) will become your property on installation if you choose Home Installation, or on delivery if you choose Self Install. The software in your Broadband Box is owned by or licensed to Sky or another member of the British Sky Broadcasting group. You must allow this software to be updated. Updates will happen automatically at no extra charge".

An exact quote from the T&Cs.

If you change "the software in it" you could say that the original software is still available on the CD.

Jennifer

walter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Funnily enough when I spoke to the Sky call centre operative on signing up for Sky Broadband about a week ago, I specifically asked the person I spoke to whether I could use my own router and I was told I could. I then said to the same person that in case I would sell my Sky router on Ebay to recoup the signing up fee and he laughed and said what a good idea.
      When I later got back onto Sky to ask them for the settings for my router they told me I had been misinformed and refused to give me any settings..
      Looks like the right hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
      My line has not been connected and so I cannot update you on the ease or otherwise of connection.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky REPLACED your possibly faulty router. You only own ONE of the routers, not both. You should return one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast