Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky said I could recieve around 14mb before I ordered now they tell me I cant!?

This is a discussion on Sky said I could recieve around 14mb before I ordered now they tell me I cant!? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, Before I ordered sky broadband I asked around what kind of speed that I would roughly get they said ...

Toilet-Duck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Sky said I could recieve around 14mb before I ordered now they tell me I cant!?

Hey,

Before I ordered sky broadband I asked around what kind of speed that I would roughly get they said between 13mb - 14mb depending on my line stats.

Got connected up around a week ago now but the maxium it has connected at is:

DownStream Connection Speed 7072 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps

Heres my line stats from the router:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6720 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 27.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.7 db 14.0 db

"You are around 1.96 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies)."

Ive tried plugging the router directly into the master socket but get almost the exact same stats.

I phoned sky and they really had no idea what I was going on about I explained before I ordered that I was told I would get around 13mb but I was told weve done checks on your line and your line is only able to cope with 5.5 mb and that they would set a profile on my connection?!?! I told them I didnt want that but the women on the phone said someone would ring back in a few days and update me on the ticket...

Any ideas on what could be causing me to recieve only 7mb?

BTW Im on the MAX pacakge for sky (LLU)

Cheers!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky said I could recieve around 14mb before I ordered now they tell me I cant!?

Ive tried plugging the router directly into the master socket but get almost the exact same stats.
      Did you take the faceplate off and try the test socket behind? theres a difference

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

Try that and paste your stats

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky said I could recieve around 14mb before I ordered now they tell me I cant!?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Did you take the faceplate off and try the test socket behind? theres a difference

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view.php?pg=master

Try that and paste your stats
      Yes I did that exact same stats with a difference of noise margin of 0.7

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If those are the stats in the test socket, thats about the best you can get then. Unless someone else can advise different

Mine are

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7443 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.5 db 29.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 12.0 db

I have a higher Line Attenuation though

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

rbentley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toilet-Duck View Post
      Hey,

Before I ordered sky broadband I asked around what kind of speed that I would roughly get they said between 13mb - 14mb depending on my line stats.
      And they were not wrong

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbentley View Post
      And they were not wrong
      Obviously they were

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The speeds given at the time of ordering are a basic line check and are only a indication of what you may recieve due to how far away you are, your line has a low noise margin. however making a few changes in the way your line is setup in the exchange am pretty sure they could probably get 8mb out of your line stable as your probably on the 16mb profile

remember the final speed you get is only established when you are connected and up and runnings, wait for the callback
      Last edited by The Doctor; 23-01-07 at 03:06 AM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Well, several different opinions there

If I could chip in with what I believe to be the facts:
      • As Sky told you, your speed is determined by your stats (attenuation and noise). Why they said possibly 13-14meg I've no idea. It is very difficult to predict speed prior to installation from a line test.
      • Your attenuation limits you to a maximum of ~9000kbps assuming you have a relatively noise free line. It is incorrect that "your line is only able to cope with 5.5 mb"
      • Almost certainly you are connecting at less than 9000kbps because you have some noise issues on your line.
      • Most noise issues can be eliminated by improving the filtering on the connection. This can be tested in advance by using the test socket. If you get no increase in speed then the noise problem is probably arising outside of your house.
      • A noise margin of 6.7db is not low. The Sky router defaults to 6.9db (or higher if it can). However connection problems begin to occur at a noise margin of ~6db and below. Noise margin varies through the day and you need to keep an eye on this. See link to sticky at the bottom of this post. Improving the filtering of your connection will help.

Prior to your call back from Sky (if it happens), you may wish to get your extended stats from your router to see what level of errors your line is generating. See Tech forum for details. If you have trouble interpreting these then post back.