Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Newbie wireless advice

This is a discussion on Newbie wireless advice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. Spent the bulk of the early hours today engrossed in this site. Just been activated for Connect package. Connection ...

Shakka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01461
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Newbie wireless advice

Hi. Spent the bulk of the early hours today engrossed in this site. Just been activated for Connect package. Connection is good through ethernet however my wireless connection keeps dropping from 54 mbps to 1mbps and then dying on me. I have to continually click wireless tray icon and hit repair or reboot my sky router. My details are as follows if anyone has any advice. Many Thanks. Great site!

Ordered Sky Broadband Connect: 12/01/07
      Recieved router: 15/01/07
      New customer/no migration.
      Letter recieved saying activation date was 22/01/07 (actually worked 19/01/07).

Router not connected to master plug as I thought surrounding tv equiptment may interfere with signal.

Wireless Connection states
      Speed: 54Mbps (Initialy until drops)
      Signal Strength: Excellent

Internet Connection
      State: Connected
      Speed: 8.1Mbps

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.0 db 14.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db 23.0 db

Think I'm on G.DMT.
      1.4 km from exchange.

I downloaded SG TCP Optimizer having read another thread but it still does it.

Ive forwarded my ports that I need and still download/upload at a poor speed.

Can anyone give me any advice to set up my laptop/router wirelessly to save having to repair/reboot all the time and maintain a high connection speed all the time, surely it should stay at 54Mbps all the time?

Cheers folks. Shak.

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Newbie wireless advice

Speedtest results if it helps

6147 kb/s download
      381 k/bs upload
      latency 40 m/s
      server london.

Koala5 is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In router main menu turn uPNP off in wireless setting set channel to 108mb Auto, Try repositioning router ie make sure not near radiators etc.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Made the changes. Been at 54 Mbps for 20 mins and not dropped yet. Fingers crossed! Thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still disconnecting all the time, no different having made above changes. I've put power to maximum on wireless card. Router is in main socket away from radiators/electrical equiptment. Signal strength is excellent so i cant understand why it continually disconnects or drops to 1 Mbps? Is there anything else I can do?

hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Not sure if my post will be helpful since so many things potentially seem to cause drops etc but I had the Netgear USB software installed on my PC - for a while, the connection was ok wirelessly but began continually dying even though the connection to the router was strong.

I decided to re-install the USB drivers, reboot the router, reposition things etc... but still kept dropping. After a second re-install of the drivers, my PC packed up - the WG111v2 USB drivers seem to have a known conflict with XP Logon so not sure if this is what may be happening with the wireless card.

I've spent all day trying to fix my PC and managed to boot in safe mode then installed a fix from: Fix Windows® XP Logon/Restore Welcome Screen and booted back normally.

The utility detected that Netgear was doing something with RtlGina2.dl and the fix puts it using MsGina.dll which I believe is the standard XP logon dll. I had noticed that my computer hadn't booted up normally with the Netgear software on from day one (welcome screen, and started 'loading personal settings) which it didn't say before - so maybe you've noticed that?

Since I used the utility, my connection on the wireless USB has been steady and not dropped *fingers crossed* I'm not even sure why that conflict would mean the connection wasn't working, but maybe this is something to think about once all other things have been tried.

But I would wait for some expert advice first but thought I should mention this in case there was possible conflicts!

yodasarmpit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I said in another post that my wifi has been perfect, but using the Netgear DG834G around a year ago I was getting occasional wifi drop outs, turned out it would happen when switching on another PC plugged into the same power strip.
      Try the router plugged into a different mains socket, might just be worth a try.
      Might just be to much current being drawn from the power socket/strip.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Downloaded the latest driver AND software from Intel website. Still dropping when windows managing wi-fi connection, however when I used the intel software to config and monitor it.................SUCESS! Continuous 54Mbps transfer. Thanks for trying folks. I got there in the end.

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know you got it all sorted in the end which is great! But just a word of advice for those using wireless with sky and are using a laptop. WPA-PSK very rarely works with laptops that have a built in wireless card as this is a newer version of encryption and most laptops don't support it as they still currently support WEP. Before changing to WEP just be sure to disable the encryption first and monitor to see if there is any drop outs. Its always best to also try changing your channel cause there could be alot of ppl on that same channel as you which could end up with you dropping out. If the connection doesn't drop out after a few hours being on when your security is disabled then go ahead and change it to WEP in the router settings page. For ppl who are using sky's wireless adapter. The wireless adapter is currently set to 108Mbps down and 11Mbps up in the advanced settings for the netgear wireless adapter settings page. You need to go into this then into your advanced settings which will be under where it says your ssid and take the ticks off both of them and set it to just 54Mbps. I think that with it being set to this the router can handle sending the signal out as it can't handle sending the signal out when it is on 108 and 11. If all else fails change to WEP.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 23-01-07 at 10:26 PM. Reason: removed quoted preceeding post ;)