Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Migrating

This is a discussion on Migrating within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am considering migrating to Sky broadband from Freedom2suf. I am not happy with my current ISP becuase during ...

robburne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Migrating

Hi,

I am considering migrating to Sky broadband from Freedom2suf.

I am not happy with my current ISP becuase during peak periods my connection drops - everyday 6-7pm and 11pm-midnight. Would migrating fix this or can I expect similar problem if I am with Sky.

What kind of downtime can I expect between the switch as because I work from home I cannot be without a connection for too.

Also I host a couple fo very small websites on a server, will be this be possible on Sky too?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rob.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Migrating

Quote Originally Posted by robburne View Post
      I am not happy with my current ISP becuase during peak periods my connection drops - everyday 6-7pm and 11pm-midnight. Would migrating fix this or can I expect similar problem if I am with Sky.
      This could be anything at all, not just F2S if you have tried your test socket behind the master socket and it still does it then probably not. Although it could be just the exchange contention and being on a BT line possibly. If you can get on Base, Mid, or MAX this is Sky's kit and not BT's. No definite yes or no though.

What kind of downtime can I expect between the switch as because I work from home I cannot be without a connection for too.
      If a simple migration up to about an hour or so usually, whatever you do, do not quote I need my BB for business to Sky, they do not allow for business use and may terminate once you are connected. Even if you have a heated discussion with them do not mention it.

Also I host a couple fo very small websites on a server, will be this be possible on Sky too?
      Nope, you will need to buy cheap hosting

Approx 10.00 per year, cheaper than anything F2S give you

Good luck

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

robburne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for your reply.

"if you have tried your test socket behind the master socket and it still does it then probably not"

I don't quite understand what you are saying here, can you elaborate a little please. What is the test socket?

Regarding my server, is it just the terms that will not allow me to serve up pages or is there harware/software in place to prevent this? I am not sure if I mmade it clear in my original mail that I maintain a server at my office.

Many thanks,

Rob.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

Will explain the test and master socket

If you asking if port 80 is blocked for webserver purposes, no they are not so theoretically you will be fine, however you will not have a fixed IP address and will need to use the facility built into the Sky router.

Once again, never ever complain re its losing you business or your business website is down though. You will lose your broadband once on Sky.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser