Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phone line noise, Adsl dropout since storm

This is a discussion on Phone line noise, Adsl dropout since storm within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone, My first post here BUT I have learnt so much on this SUPERLATIVE forum just by browsing since ...

Krish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willaston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Phone line noise, Adsl dropout since storm

Hello everyone, My first post here BUT I have learnt so much on this SUPERLATIVE forum just by browsing since 27 Dec when Sky bbmax was activated. I installed Adslnation Xte-2005 face plate beginning of January. No extensions, Dect phone and Adsl cables plugged into face plate. NO problems for 3 weeks. After storm LAST night, phone VERY noisy and voice calls cut out frequently. When this happens, router drops connections & takes ages to resync. Logged BT fault, they say line is fine. I am only 340 metres (as crow flies from exchange) and until this happened, I was seeing router info of downstream attenuation 26.5, upstream 17.0, noise margin down 12.2, up 13.0, connection speed 15323 down, 764 up. Now the router had to be rebooted, reset and still dropped sync every few minutes (corresponding with noise on phone line) struggling to resync. So I reinstalled the old BT Nte-2005 face plate (which has only unfiltered modem socket), plugged in Adsl external filter, then modem and Dect phone cable into it and the whole thing has started working again (after dropouts every 10 minutes throughout the day !). Sorry for all the detail but thought it was necessary for you experts to advise on what is going on. BT phoned back & told me line was fine but that a lot of internal wiring/equipment has been damaged by surges during the storm yesterday. Please could you shed some light on this matter. The Xte-2005 was very convenient, I am back to the old face plate & probably extensions. Is the Xte damaged by surges ? Much obliged. Regards, Raj

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Phone line noise, Adsl dropout since storm

Welcome to the site Krish

To be honest its really does sound as though the weather has done something and I gues its possible that it did damage the faceplate in some way I would suggest you talk to Adslnation he maybe able to shed soem light on this.

Drop him a PM hes on here quite a lot.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you very much for the quick response. I think you are right. After a whole day of painful dropouts (both voice & adsl), NOT one drop out in the 2 hours since I changed the Xte-2005 face plate back to old BT Nte socket. Does this have anything to do with surges frying capacitors etc as the BT tech seemed to suggest ? I have also posted a similar message in Adslnation's forum. Will feed back here with any info. Thanks again. Raj

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NP

Yes its very possible but as I could only guess they would be the guys that know but good luck and hope you get to the bottom of it.

Look forward to finding out once you know.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Spoke too soon. After 2 hours plugged into old BT Nte plate, phone noise and Adsl dropouts started again. NOT every few minutes as with Xte plate but 30min to 1hr between dropouts. Lot of hiss & crackling in phone line, got worse after rain a little while ago, Adsl dropout as well. When rain stopped, hiss less & Adsl stable. Noise margin has dropped to 7.4 to 8.4 though. I am wondering if wires from pole came loose in the storm or is that a silly idea ? With this info, face plate may not be the problem ? Any thoughts ? I have logged another fault with BT, described hiss etc. Thanks very much.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If thats the case then its defiantly a fault with the cabling from the exchange to your house could even be from the connections on the telegraph pole in the street assuming your lines isn't underground that is.

Tell them its and intermittent fault during bad weather.
      Ray

click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again. Just an update, today broadband appears to be much more stable, has only dropped out twice after 2 or 3 hours each time. NR up to 10 but frequently shows 7 or so briefly then creeps up again. Haven't a clue what is going on, perhaps a bit of rain will decide if this is short lived stability ! BT visit arranged this week.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Ray, Another update ! Today phone very noisy AM then fully gave up the ghost. So NO dial tone all day. Surprisingly Adsl still active but very unstable, line attn 36 downstream (up from 26) & NM hovering at 6-7 (down from 12). If phone is dead how come broadband is still working albeit in a drunken fashion and running at 2.4Mbps (down from 12.3Mbps) & resynching every now and then ? I plugged working phone into BT test socket behind Master lower plate - NO dial tone. Adsl just about working in test socket. I would value any comments. BT visit on Wednesday. Best regards. Raj

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krish View Post
      Hi Ray, Another update ! Today phone very noisy AM then fully gave up the ghost. So NO dial tone all day. Surprisingly Adsl still active but very unstable, line attn 36 downstream (up from 26) & NM hovering at 6-7 (down from 12). If phone is dead how come broadband is still working albeit in a drunken fashion and running at 2.4Mbps (down from 12.3Mbps) & resynching every now and then ? I plugged working phone into BT test socket behind Master lower plate - NO dial tone. Adsl just about working in test socket. I would value any comments. BT visit on Wednesday. Best regards. Raj
      This sounds very much like the internal wiring in your master socket has been badly damaged plus something has happened to the condition of your line and this may be the reason for the line attenuation increasing. If BT fail to fix this problem when they call out please contact sky technical support you will need to go to Tier 2 to have a fault logged to BT through ur isp. Give it a go also changing your microfilters about in your master socket aswell and see if the static on your line changes. The current status of this does really sound like a BT problem and if you did ring sky about the problem before contacting BT they wouldn't of been able to help you as the lines do belong to BT and they won't accept sky logging faults to them for line faults. But as i say wait till the BT engineer comes out and if he tests everything as fine then you are gonna need to contact sky as they will need to logged a fault and have an engineer sent out to the exchange to check the equipment,line etc. Please also state to sky about the storm and tell them the history of the problem so when it is logged to BT they can give this information to BT through the fault report. Let me know m8 the outcome of the BT visit i may be more of use to you than u expect

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Gentlemen, Update - BT did check & found line fault first in BT network, didn't fix problem as phone kept cutting out. So BT engineers came yesterday, cable outside had practically rotted, no problem inside house. They changed cable from pole to house, put a new master socket in to replace an ancient junction box. Great broadband since then, phone line noise gone !! Very good service from BT - regular text messages to mobile, phone calls to keep me informed. My experience with BT - VERY GOOD - keep it up please BT. Only slight problem now is new master socket location, so will have to use first extension as master socket. Thanks for all your help. BT came up trumps !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast