Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Phone line noise, Adsl dropout since storm

This is a discussion on Phone line noise, Adsl dropout since storm within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; this message is @krish. I am glad BT fixed that problem for ya but if u are going to use ...

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Phone line noise, Adsl dropout since storm

this message is @krish. I am glad BT fixed that problem for ya but if u are going to use the extension as ur master socket u are gonna then start to face more problems with ur service ie drop outs, slow speeds etc. Instead of using the extension i would advise u either go wireless or get a longer ethernet cable as they can be up to 325 feet without cause those problems

2. Advertisement
      Krish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willaston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers friend, thanks for the tip. I was thinking of an idea on Clarity - Main Entrance - Clarity UK which will allow me to site the extension (using it as master socket) in a convenient location and run Adsl cable to router & plug in Dect phone. I have no wish to touch the BT master socket even to change the face plate as BT engineers stuck it in a most inconvenient and exposed area just inside the front door where plug in cables etc would be unsightly. Please check this url out : Clarity UK - ADSL BT Linebox Adaptor Faceplate and if you have any advice I would appreciate it very much. Kind regards & thanks a lot.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok krish i read through that website and that just looks to me like it is a slave socket. Basically an extension of the master telephone socket. Sorry man but thats the next best thing to a phone extension which once again can cause problems. Cause in theory your connection needs to come through your master socket and then run through the extension to the other socket then has to go through the RJ11 cable and by the time it gets to your broadband box the connection is nakered. Now it will work for a wee while then all of a sudden you will start to have drop outs and it will start to slow down big time sometimes as slow as dial up lol. But if you where to turn your router off and back on again you will refresh the connection and it will then start to run fine for ya for another wee while. Its up to yourself if you want the hassle of having to deal with that all the time

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I had a similar problem with the master socket being located at the front of the house and my pc being at the back. My solution which has worked very well, for me, was to run an extension using cat5 data cable hard wired to pins 2 & 5 to another master type socket in the back room. I get identical stats plugged into both the extension and the master socket ( test socket behind ). As i have recently moved in and was rewiring at the time I just dropped it under the floor in the front room and popped back up in the back room.
      dave
      ps if anyone wants any i've got about 300 metres spare left from the roll i aquired which they can have for the cost of postage
      Last edited by dholdi; 01-02-07 at 11:25 PM. Reason: not quite factual

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Snake, Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I don't want the hassle of drop outs and rebooting if I can help it. I think Dholdi's idea sounds good as well. Will hard wiring cat5 cable to pins 2 & 5 & running it to a master type socket in another location & using Adslnation Xte2005 face plate permit me to plug in Dect phone as well or will the cable only allow data, not voice ? If all this is feasible, I would certainly be interested in the cat5 cable from Dholdi, don't need 300m though, probably only about 50m & I will pay for cable & postage, kind as the offer is from Dholdi but I wish to be fair. One more question, I have a British Gas monitored alarm installed & the cable is hard wired into the BT master socket to pins 2 & 5 (previously it was wired into the grotty old junction box which the BT engineer said was not ideal & so connected it into the master socket). I can of course keep the alarm wires in place & hard wire cat5 cable also to pins 2 & 5 piggy back. What do you gentlemen think ? Thank you for all your advice. Kind regards.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would stick to the idea of a CAT5 but as far as i am aware it can only transmit data cause its like a better quality of an ethernet cable basically. As far as your alarm system is concerned and wiring all that up i ain't to sure about that don't know very much about it only thing i know is that your alarm system on your line needs to be microfiltered. Buy the CAT5 and maybe ask the other guy there if he knows anymore about wiring it up cause if it is working for him it will work for u to i am sure

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers Thanks. Great forum, very helpful members.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am pleased to see you have it all sorted out now mate

Enjoy
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12