Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need explanation on connection dropping.

This is a discussion on Need explanation on connection dropping. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I've now offically had enough of sky. Tier-3 have now failed four times to fix my line on ...

Saiyan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Luton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Need explanation on connection dropping.

Hi All,

I've now offically had enough of sky. Tier-3 have now failed four times to fix my line on four different occasions.

Why is it when they cap me to 512kb... the internet is pretty stable.

But when i'm capped/uncapped at above 512kb... the connection keeps dropping after 2minutes...

Any ideas?
      (I've had 1mb Talktalk and 2mb BulldogDSL on this broadband line before).
      (Fourth month approaching)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 416 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 db 17.0 db
      Noise Margin 31.7 db 11.0 db
      Last edited by Saiyan; 20-01-07 at 01:57 PM.

2. Advertisement
      sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Need explanation on connection dropping.

My attenuation is similar and I am not far from Luton my stats are on Max

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12943 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.5 db 15.2 db
      Noise Margin 8.0 db 11.5 db
      (At the Master socket I get the full 16 meg connection)

The difference is possibly the noise margin, the higher mine goes the lower is my connection speed, have you looked at the forums for mognuts utility
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

where you can try changing the noise margin to 7, have you looked at your internal wiring and checked stats at master socket, as that may be different. You could try reading the posts on Noise margins and wiring and faceplates.

I have had to all these things but have a stable connection (except for the boiler interruptions), good luck!
      ps I am not an expert nor a tecchie so I am sure you will get lots more help better than this.
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Actually, the reason Saiyan has such a high noise margin is because the connection has been capped far below what the connection should be able to handle. Attenuation and noise margin determine connection speed. If you force the connection speed down then as attenuation is pretty much fixed, the noise margin will rise.

Unless Sky have capped the connection by forcing the exchange to a high noise margin (unlikely), using Mognut's utility will not increase the speed as it can't overcome the capping.

Better to address the root problem.

Saiyan, your attenuation is very low which is good. With a relatively noise free line your router should be connecting at close to the maximum of ~16000kbps (30 times faster than you are!).

Almost certainly you have a noise problem - in fact you must have a horrendous noise problem. Most noise is generated by the internal phone wiring in your house. Fitting a replacement filtered faceplate will reduce or eliminate this.

However, I suspect you (also) have a noise burst problem which would explain in part why your connection speed has had to be reduced so low to get a stable connection yet your noise margin is very high.

You may well have a faulty device (phone/digibox etc) or a faulty connection in one of your phone sockets. Do you hear any crackling/hissing on voice calls? If you do, call BT in to get this fixed.

Good luck. You have the potential to have one of the best connections of any user in this forum. Instead you have a line which is capped to the lowest speed (as a percentage of your potential) that I have ever seen.

Saiyan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Luton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for you replies...
      Actually, I've tried to disconnect every item connected to the phone sockets. I've tried the router in the test socket too... but the noise margin remains the same...

However, I did notice that when they do UNCAP me.... the noise margin drops to a value in the range of 7-16db... and just before the connection drops out (whilst being UNCAPPED)... the noise margin drops below 4db.

I don't think there's a problem on my line... There's no noise crackling.

Btw, Another Tier-3 person failed to find a solution yesterday... making him the 5th tier-3 person to fail =(

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If your noise margin is dropping like that then it has to be a noise problem.

Although noise from internal phone wiring and other telephony devices is the most common cause, you could have a fault between you and the exchange.

Otherwise it could be:
      • faulty router (especially overheating)
      • external EMR such as Dect phone, microwave, CH thermostat etc
      • faulty cabling or loose/corroded connections
      • faulty attached device
      • faulty microfilter