Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Losing patience with sky.......but is it worth waiting?

This is a discussion on Losing patience with sky.......but is it worth waiting? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys Since I got my sky BB unlimited package I have not had much joy. After many phone calls ...

jpmad4it is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Losing patience with sky.......but is it worth waiting?

Hey guys

Since I got my sky BB unlimited package I have not had much joy. After many phone calls to sky I managed to get through to the 2nd tier of technical support who capped my connection, as my line can only handle speeds of up to around 2MB and the 16MB speed is unstable according to them (due to the distance between the exchange and my house). Now, even though the connection is capped I still get intermittent connections and I have to take the power lead out of the router to reset it and get a connection. The annoying thing is that it can take around 10 reset attempts to actually get it going. This seems to happen every couple of days. I was previously on Pipex and i never had any connection issues in the 3 years of being with them. My question is should I stop using sky BB and go with another provider? Or is it likely that I will encounter the same problems due to my poor BT line (is it poor, i dont even know?)? Or should I wait until sky or BT improve their services in my area? I really dont know what to do

Do the cable companies such as NTL use their own lines instead of a BT line? Or is it likely that i will be far away from their exchange similar to the BT one?

I am fed up of ringing sky and going through all the jargon, i've lost patience. And even when i get through to the guys who are meant to know what they are doing, they still cant seem to correct my issue - is it looking like its my phone line thats the problem?

Is there anything I can check to see if my phone line is the issue? Are there any other tests that i can do, or any that you guys recommend?

Thanks for help in advance,
      regards Jp

2. Advertisement
      Vegeta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Losing patience with sky.......but is it worth waiting?

Cable companies like ntl and telewest don't use telephone lines for broadband. They use underground optic fibre cables so it doesn't matter even if your 1000 miles away from an exchange as long as your in a cabled area which is most of the UK.

wknight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I also just swapped over from Pipex where I had no problems also.Sky gave me really grief sometimes with no connection for a day until I worked thru this forum and found this utility to change the settings on the router

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

All I did was set my line nosie up to 10 ( you may want to go higher) , it had been as low as 3 and 7 wasn't very good.

Now Sky is great. Maybe this might work for you

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

@jpmad4it

If you would like help to see if your line is the problem you will need to give us more information. Please start by posting your router connection stats. Ideally, one set from the socket you normally connect with and another from the test socket which you will find behind the faceplate of your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5).

If you are not sure how to get your router stats you will find instructions here.

Can I also suggest that before you take the advice given by wknight and start experimenting with utilities such as Mognut's you try and fix the cause first rather than dealing with the symptoms.

You may also find this useful background reading.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey,

Here are my stats:

ADSL Link: Downstream, Upstream
      Connection Speed: 2048 kbps, 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 63.0 db, 31.5 db
      Noise Margin: 10.3 db, 13.0 db

I also read the post it was very useful thank you. Do my stats offer any kind of explantion into the problem?

regards J

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpmad4it View Post
      Do my stats offer any kind of explantion into the problem?
      Not really I'm afraid. All they indicate is that you are capped at 2048 (which is what I'd expect on Base) and you have a healthy noise margin. The other point of interest is that with an attenuation of 63db Sky are correct in informing you that your line is only capable of this speed. Short of you moving house or BT re-routing your line to make it shorter, that's all current ADSL technology will allow.

This is obviously not a rule but an indication of likelihood for disconnections:

• Regular, disconnections (typically every 15 min) = UPnP bug
      • Regular set times of day disconnections (typically evenings) = dropping noise margin
      • Irregular, random (can be very frequent or ad hoc disconnections) = cable fault, other noise burst or overheating/faulty router

You haven't really given much detail about the nature of your disconnections. Which of the above would be the best fit? That at least will give you a starting point.

If you are unable to track down the cause then you could consider using Mossywell's excellent utility which you will find described in the Technical forum. This will at least re-establish a connection for you when/if it goes down.

HTH

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the great reply.......once again! My disconnections seem to be random - but when they occur they do so for long periods of time where I just cannot connect at all. So far they seem to have occurred around every 7 days, usually for hours upon end, and can be at any time of the day. Unplugging the power lead from the router for a few seconds and plugging it back in somtimes allows a connection to be established, if I am very lucky.

I think that the tool you mentioned may come in handy. I will have a look into that.

Over the weekend we had a fault on our BT phone line, which has now been fixed - so far my connection has been O.K. I will monitor the connection over the next couple of days to see how it holds up.

regards Jp

PS i am on the max / unlimited / 16mb package now. Also will using Mossywell's utility reset the wireless access list on the router? Its a bit of a pain having to manually add the devices to the list.

EDIT: within twenty minutes of replying to this thread my connection went down again - unplugging the router fixed it this time and I am now back online.
      Last edited by jpmad4it; 21-01-07 at 11:18 PM. Reason: removed quoted preceeding post

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your disconnections sound like the random category so look to the fault being with the router or cables. However, it could be an exchange fault.

When you lose connection do you have to unplug? Can you still get to the router admin pages? If you can then that lessens the likelihood of it being a router fault and also you can do a "kinder" reboot from those pages. If you can't then the router may be duff.

Sorry, you've lost me with the wireless access list question

Exchange:
      Thanks

When i lose the connection i cannot do anything. I cant even get into the router admin. When i lose the connection I have to unplug the router otherwise the connection just remains dead / disconnected.

I have started recording my disconnections this week - I will do it for the week and let you know of my results daily. That way we might be able to make sense of the nature of the problem??
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-01-07 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceeding post

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well that suggests to me that you have a router or cable fault.

If you have just lost sync with the exchange then you should still be able to log into the router.

EDIT: Just thinking about this a bit more and I'm not sure if I recall this correctly but I think that the UPnP bug sometimes prevents access to the router. The bug normally shows itself as regular disconnects every 15 minutes or so but not always. Have you turned UPnP off in the router?
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-01-07 at 12:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast