Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Big hello to SkyUser members

This is a discussion on Big hello to SkyUser members within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi to all members. As an NTL customer for the last two years and paying 24 a month for a ...

alister is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Big hello to SkyUser members

Hi to all members.

As an NTL customer for the last two years and paying 24 a month for a 2mb service, when i read that sky would give me 16mb for a half the amount! Well i can tell you i was well pleased.

I got my offer to take up the service today. So i called the good people at sky to order my super fast,all singing and dancing sky broadband. But before i gave the thumbs up, wanted to ask a few simple question.

Question 1
      Do you provide pop /smtp mail
      Answer: No a broad scotish lady reply.

Question 2: Are you sure? I think i remember reading that you will be providing POP

Answer: Speak to the tecnical dept.

So here we go.. on hold waiting to speak to there bods. In fact they answer quite quickly and the nice lady does in fact Confirm that they do offer pop / smtp mail but the dont support it. You can find out more at pop.sky.com. Thanks very much a tell the young wee lass.

So here i go trying to find out all about sky pop mail, but instead i find this forum. As i read thru the site i find there are quite a few people having problems with Sky mail etc.

Also when you concider that most BT exchanges will only offer up to 3 to 5mb download which is also dependant on how far you live from the exchange.
      The fact that most sky customers will take up the offer which will max out the contension ratio and Sky clearly have very little experience as an ISP with very little Tech support i am left questioning if this sky broadband is the best thing since sliced bread.

Shall i go for it and take a chance? remember it's only a 10.00 per month

PS sorry about the spelling

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi alister and welcome to the site

Sorry to see that but as you may know they are quite new to this, I see no reason why you shouldn't give it a go its a learning curve for all of us, some have had very little trouble and others seem to be having real problems.

Whatever you decide good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Paul10590 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      But here is the beauty of it, you've not got a cat in hells chance of getting 16 mb. You'll be lucky to get about 8mb, so contension? Doubt it you'll ave to live like under 800m to be near 16mb

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by alister View Post
      Sky clearly have very little experience as an ISP with very little Tech support i am left questioning if this sky broadband is the best thing since sliced bread.

Shall i go for it and take a chance? remember it's only a 10.00 per month
      if you look at it this way, the Broadband connection is run buy Easynet which has years of expearience and a good reputaion and it just now happens to have a Sky name to it then it does look very good indeed
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @Paul

In that case I will get damn good speeds but just to point out nobody will get 16mb as you have to take into account overheads.

@SatDish

Good point mate
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Paul10590 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well some people may get 16mb, but, i haven't heard any reports but some people could get 20mb+ because its just using the old easynet network. But that would only be say 10,000 people who could get this and have to live like 100m from the exchange. But still very possible! They just advertise 16mb as the max because hardly any people get above it nevermind reach it! But there will be some

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes very true hence the wording Up To, I have been told I should get 15mb but at the end of the day I will get what I get
      Ray

click here

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      the adverts do say upto 16mb which is what their equipment is capable of delivering to the user but in reality that is very rarely the case,

another interesting point is that the old Easynet network put users on a contention ratio of 30-1 where nearly all isp's use 50-1 ratio (unless it is buisiness broadband)
      so i wonder if they have kept it at that.
      "To help would be a great adventure"