Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Continuing Problems

This is a discussion on Continuing Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure if its due to the Server problems, but I'm struggling to find my previous posts! Oh well! My ...

Rick042 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lytham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Continuing Problems

Not sure if its due to the Server problems, but I'm struggling to find my previous posts! Oh well!

My continuing speed/dropping connection problems.

Current Router Stats:

System Up Time 11:38:11
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 33399 40639 0 258 1113 11:37:51
      LAN 10M/100M 8115 9020 0 165 78 11:38:09
      WLAN 11M/54M 33733 23986 0 965 196 11:37:59

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6464 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 db 16.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.6 db 24.0 db

Speedtest:

Download Speed: 129 kbps (16.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 373 kbps (46.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have email SKY - awaiting reply.

It took 4 hours last night to get a steady enough connection to be able to load a page! Constant dropping of the connection.

I have switched of UpNP. I have disconnected the 'extra' wiring in the 'phone socket. I have uninstalled Mcaffe.I don't appear to be suffering from the noise value dropping below 6.5.

What I don't understand is that last week I had a steady 3.7 - 3.8M download speed and the connection didn't drop at all. I didn't change anything before everything went belly-up on Saturday.

Any ideas - I'm running out of them, my previous Broadband worked fine (occasionally certain sites might be a little slow - never performed a speedtest) but no dropped connections that I can remember in a couple of years!

Cheers,

Guys & Gals.

2. Advertisement
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Continuing Problems

re your posts, this site has had downtime of 48 hours as far as i know, a post i posted the otherday is also gone, i dont think they have been deleted but rather they have been lost lol.

otheres will reply soon
      Last edited by LNB; 17-01-07 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the preceding post - the server (and Wheelie) dislikes it!

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

WAN PPPoA 33399 40639 0 258 1113 11:37:51 implies that the connection isn't going down (or hasn't for the last 11 1/2 hours or so. Looks like the PC side is having problems. Are you using wireless or ethernet?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi - sorry for not getting back earlier I've been out.

I switched the Router on this morning before I went to work, so it may well have stayed up all day - which is an improvement! However, I am still getting a very low download speed against my connection speed - any ideas?

My machine is on ethernet. We also have a wireless connection to my son's machine.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Welcome to the site Rick

Sorry about the post problem but the sever we were using decided to break a couple of days ago and as such we have been unable to recover the data on it so have had to use a backup from the 14th to get the site up and running again.

As for your problems you may want to go and do some reading in this forum
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/ a few stickies there that could give you some good pointers.

Good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok I've had a good read, but I've pretty well tried most of the things in Dingdong's notes.

Changing approach slightly, the thing I cannot understand - at times my 'Connection' is high - currently 5600kbps - but the download speed achieved is only 129kbps. Why?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connection speed v Download speed.

Well there's a few reasons:

The speed your router syncs with the exchange at is your connection speed and other than the package you happen to be on, this is largely a factor of your attenuation (line length) and line noise.

The speed you are able to download at will never be more than ~85% of your connection speed due to transmission overheads. But to get even 85% of your connection speed a number of other things have to be right:
      • exchange congestion
      • network congestion
      • server load
      • incorrect TCP/IP settings (bottleneck between router and PC)
      • ISP restrictions (capping, traffic shaping etc.)

You're on Connect. Assuming that you are outside the 10 day training period for Connect, you have set your TCP/IP up with something like TCPOptimizer and you are using a good speedtest site such as this one (and not measuring your low speeds with torrents/P2P), the most likely reason you are seeing slow download speeds is exchange and network congestion.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers Saturday, I am using the speedtest site you suggest.

I understand what you are saying, but the first week I was connected it was all very flakey - and then last week it settled down nicely. I.e. Connection was in the region of 4.5M - with constant download speed of 3.7 - 3.8M which I was very happy with. Then since Saturday nothing more than 100-200k download whatever the connection speed might be.

I assumed that my line/connection had settled down and the 'learning' period was over, but then bang (perhaps the wrong term eh?) it all went pear shaped. I didn't change anything, so I don't know what happened.

SKY replied to me earlier on, suggesting I have a virus and to check and remove it - needless to say I haven't and things haven't improved any. I just want to go back to last week, when all was good in the world!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Give it a little while. Sometimes this happens with Connect.

Please try a connection with your test socket (behind the faceplate of your master socket assuming you have an NTE5) and post your stats. Then we can eliminate noise as a problem.

If things don't get better you need to contact Sky and ask them to escalate to BT - there's a possibility your profile may have got "stuck".

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortuately I'm on the old style sockets - no Test Socket available.

As mentioned previously (lost posts), I have disconnected the 'extra' wires - now only using 2 & 5.

It did settle down last night, albeit very slow - actual connection around 750 something k - the download was a very steady 129/130k! But at least I wasn't disconnecting much.

Something you might be able to clear up - having read other posts etc., I used the TCPOptimizer - but someone else suggested this should only be used on the MID/MAX packages. Will it have done any harm?

Cheers,

Rick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast