Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Discussion on Tie Pairs

This is a discussion on Discussion on Tie Pairs within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks for confirming that. My router is now connecting to absolutely nothing so it looks like Openreach have ceased my ...

hobgoblin46 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hampton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Discussion on Tie Pairs

Thanks for confirming that. My router is now connecting to absolutely nothing so it looks like Openreach have ceased my connection properly this time. Hopefully they won't mess up the activation with my new ISP tomorrow...

2. Advertisement
      Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just in case anyone is interested i've just spent a few days connecting up short tie pairs for a recording system in a call centre. This was my first time doing this and I found that including figuring out what goes where and testing it all I was doing one pair every two minutes on average. I'd expect the OpenReach engineers to be much quicker as they're experienced and they apparently miss out the testing phase.

dadopson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Middlesex
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have been going through the same problem of being fobbed off with stupid excuses and people not seeming to be able or bothered to do anything about it. the last fault was tied pairs and when I phoned Tier3 on Saturday they said the ticket had been closed because the fault had been fixed (which it had not). I then went back through tier1 and got a new ticket no and then called tier3 and spent two hours on the phone to them. Afetr a lengthy checking and lots of tests the tier3 guy suggested their was a fault with the outbound port all along and he would book me in for a tied pairs shift (which he told me basically intails swopping to me an unused port) but I will have to wait up to 10 days. I have now been without BB for 2 weeks.
      The big problem with Sky and I guess a lot of other systems is that you do not seem to be able to talk to anyone that can do anything. Tier1 cannot put you thorugh to tier3. CS cannot put you through to tier3. So I means waiting on the phone for hours with no guarantee that anyone will answer it. I tried to call tier3 twice on thursday and held for 30 mins before someone picked and immediately putdown the phone.
      I will definiately be speaking to CS when this is resolved for the BB and phone costs to be refunded.
      Does anyone know if the TPS is a solution or just bull****.

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The short answer is that the tie pairs are racks where the cabling from the PSTN service is connected to feed it through the splitter and have the dsl signal added, there are two racks, LLUL and LLUT, one where the PSTN cabling goes in and the other where it comes out. "Faulty Ties" simply means one or the other, or both signals cannot get through.

This can be because of damage to the cabling on the DSLAM side of the rack or it can be because of a problem with the point on the splitter where those cables are connected.

BT are, in theory, supposed to check that sync can be got at the ties when they hook up a line and if they cant this would be a DOA. However in practice this isnt happening and so many faults which shouldnt be happening are. A Tie Pair Shift or TPS is when your cabling is moved from one set of Krone blocks to another.

The reason this takes time is because BT have to do the work, and with all the ISPs unbundling now, the massive number of DOAs (that should have been spotted at the original point of connection) and the sheer volume of new Broadband customers coming along, BT are a little overwhelmed.

In reality the process simply involves getting new ties (from a database of available ties) assigning these to a customer, and then sending the orders to BT.

Hope that helps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234