Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

So what are my chances.. Slim?

This is a discussion on So what are my chances.. Slim? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hmmm.. so what are my chances.. I'm thinking of moving from BT to Sky... My local exchange Chandlers Ford (STCFORD) ...

RzB
      RzB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chandlers Ford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So what are my chances.. Slim?

Hmmm.. so what are my chances..

I'm thinking of moving from BT to Sky...

My local exchange Chandlers Ford (STCFORD) converted in November.

I have posted here and in other places to find just one Sky user connected to that exchange - to no avail.

There are soooo many horror stories on this site, and elswhere....

So what are my chances of having a smooth quick switch from BT to Sky...

Slim to negligible? Or am I just suffering from FUD?

Thanks,
      Roy

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: So what are my chances.. Slim?

Welcome to the site Roy

To be honest it could go as smooth as silk or be a bumpy ride every story is different for all members even if they were on your exchange no 2 connections are lightly to be the same.

Example
      I have been connected for 4 months and I get full speed my neighbour however was connected in November and hes stuck on 8MB but since hes only interested in the upload speed he doesn't mind.

At the end of the day you will always get more horror story's from people than you will happy ones so the choice is down to you risk it or not.

What ever you decide good luck.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RzB View Post
      So what are my chances of having a smooth quick switch from BT to Sky...
      About the same as a coin landing heads side up, in other words I would say you have about a 50% chance that things will go smoothly and you have a 50% chance that things go pear shaped.

I moved from BT to Sky and it wasn't to bad, I did loose my net access for two days because the router hadn't turned up but once it did off I went. Oh and Sky failed to tell me the migration date as well although I knew it from the BT checker page.

Good luck anyway.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well my switch went perfectly, came home on the 12th Nov my activation date to find my BT broadband dead, plugged the sky router in and away I went! I am happy with the service apart from I cant get on the broadband portal which is a bit of a non issue cos I pick up my email via outlook also when you do have to ring Sky there support team are not much good and that is an understatement!! But in saying that I had the same level of support from BT about 10 months ago when I came home from work one night to find no broadband! I rang there techy line and got through to some non english speaking person who knew less about computers than me and I class myself as a novice!!! Anyway came off the phone an hour later no closer to a fix! luckily the BT broadband fixed itself by the following morning. I think this type of service is a way of the world these days my son!!
      Last edited by Wheelie; 11-01-07 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Even the *** didn't hide the fact that you swore so please don't do it thanks

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Even though I'm not a Sky Broadband subscriber because I don't have any problems with Orange. I think Sky BB is more successful than a 50-50 chance, maybe 80% getting it right.

beethoven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWAL (LLU since Oct06)
      Broadband ISP: connect billed as 17 - 12 = 5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Go for it.
      I came from ntl with seperate ntl phone and cable wires into house, so I have not experienced the problem of MAC codes etc. At least from BT to Sky there are only two parties involved - BT is not a middleman.
      I posted earlier on NewsreaderS's Saga post the link to an article in today's Guardian, written in a quite non-technical way that describes the process.

From reading many of the posts just on this site, I would say the key is the arrival of the router. If that is delayed there is a problem somewhere between the previous provider and BT, but then from what I have read it appears to me you have to be patient.

Apart from phoning Sky to pay the 40 by debit card (for connect service as exchange was not unbundled, I had no phone contact - cannot stand call centres anyway. Unbundled means that sky's equipment was not then in my local exchange. That was August 06 and the equipment was installed in October 06
      The BB adverts and the press comment and sky's free installation for sky tv offer converted us over. It is worth moving to Sky for the picture quality alone on the main channels, we have freeview boxes on all our other tvs, quality OKish, and we have experienced ntl cable - picture quality rubbish and it does not have to be that way because in our area they are using fibreoptic to within 100metres.
      Once your router has arrived and your are patient skyuser will get all your problems solved.
      Regards
      Beethoven

RzB
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for the responses. Sort of makes me feel a little less alone!

Well - I've done it.. Got the MAC Code from BT this moring and ordered the Max package. Should all happen within 15 days! Scary or what :-) We shall see.

I have seen postings from others moving from BT to Sky, and they have talked about tracking their move on the BT website. Can someone point me at where to go for this on the BT site please. I have searched but can't find it.

Thanks,
      Roy

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good luck with the move and I hope its a smooth one

BT Checker Order tracking: Landline orders You will need to register if you don't already have an account.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

RzB
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ray,

Thanks for your help...

When I go to that BT URL and chase through it all, I end up with...

quote...

We can't find your order details.
      This may be because:
      You may have given the wrong phone number, please check that xxxxxxxx is the correct phone number.
      You ordered less than three hours ago. If you did, your details won't be in our systems yet.
      You are moving between broadband packages, these can't be tracked online.
      You ordered more than 10 days ago. If you did, you should already be switched on to BT Broadband.

Have they changed something or am I doing something wrong...

Thanks,
      Roy