Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am I being stupid?

This is a discussion on Am I being stupid? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, somewhat of a Noob so apologies for my lack of understanding. Got Sky BB , they said it would ...

Dobbo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harehills, Leeds
      Broadband ISP: Mid - If only.........
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Am I being stupid?

OK, somewhat of a Noob so apologies for my lack of understanding. Got Sky BB, they said it would be on 8th December. I opted for a self install, so I put the microfilters in how I believe they should go in, then set up the router. No internet. I called up several times, getting several different stories, the most used one being that there is a fault on my line that needs to be fixed, and they don't know when it will be. However, I called on Monday, and they said it should be working fine now, but I still get no internet light on the Netgear box. Now, either there is still a fault on my line, or I've done these microfilters wrong. Or something else. So, my setup goes like this:

Phone line> Micro Filter > Like a thing that turns one phone line into two (splitter or something) > Sky and Phone come out of that.

Then, where my PC is, there is a long cable with a phone line connector thing at the end. I asked my parents where this leads to, and they said the original phone line in the other room. On this there is a microfilter, then just the Netgear SKY Router coming out of that. Which has no internet light on.

^ If that made any sense at all to you guys, could you tell me if the microfilters are in wrong, and what I should be doing to put them in right?

Further apologies for lack of technical terms and thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Am I being stupid?

If that means you have a splitter AND something else then it sounds wrong.

To keep it simple, you should have a microfilter plugged into the socket on the wall, you can then plug both the router and the phone into that. The router cable has a different plug on it to the standard phone one so they'll only go in the right holes in the microfilter.

More elaborate setups can be done if you have phone extensions etc. but for now stick with the basic setup.

If you have a fairly modern BT socket, the front is divided into two sections. On this, undo the two screws and (gently) pull the bottom section out. behind it should be a socket just like the one on the front panel, you can plug into this for testing purposes but you may find the phone won't ring properly.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi Dobbo

First thing I would do:

1) Unplug all phones

2) Locate master socket

3) Plug filter/splitter in that came with router

4) Plug router into mains and then the lead into the filter/splitter

5) See if the green i light comes on

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

^ I'll try that tonight, then report back tommorrow, or tonight if my PSP successfully steals someones Wi-Fi..........

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

The excellent Wheelie posted this link which provides a step by step guide to connecting up DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

Hope this helps

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tried your advice newsreader, but to no avail. No internet light. Took everything out of the master socket, stuck in a microfilter, then the Netgear. So, I'm guessing my line is messed up? Any advice on what to say on the phone to SKY to actually get them to do something about this?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, a family member called yesterday to cancel.......and they told her the tie pairs got fixed yesterday, and the broadband would be up and running by the 2nd of Feb. I can only hope............