Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ok heres the problem!

This is a discussion on Ok heres the problem! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Guys a big hello to you all... I'm new here and just wanted to share my experience as I'm sure ...

Dead Cell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Ok heres the problem!

Guys a big hello to you all... I'm new here and just wanted to share my experience as I'm sure it will help someone in the future and also I could still do with a little help myself.

I got Sky Max 3 days ago and a bunch of amateurs came and did half a job which I had to re-do again later anyway.

I've one PC in the living room where the BT phone socket is and I've one in my room.

I thought it best to connect the Router to the PC in the living room via the ethernet cable and got myself a Belkin G+ MIMO which always has a minimum of 4 signals out of 5 which it says is very good. I'm about 10 feet away from the Router in the living room.

Now the first night I was able to go online on my PC via wireless and I did tests and I got roughly 4000-5000 kbps which I thought was pretty good. The PC in the living room was much better though at around 8000 kps.

Anyway heres the problem, on the second day, after about every 20-30 mins the PC in the living room would suddenly not be able to browse anymore! If I had music on download then they'd carry on downloading but I wasnt able to browse the internet!

I then tested the PC in my room and it too would constantly loose the signal to the Router in the living room, although it still shows 4 bars out of the 5 on available network list! It just wouldnt be able to connect to it!

Now the only way to fix this was to switch of the Router, each time, at the mains and then starting up again after about 10 seconds. It would then connect only to go all wrong again after about 20-30 mins!

Now the good news is that since visiting this brilliant site and with the help of many of you's, I found out that having UPnP disabled got rid of the whole line dropping and reconnecting issue which is such a relief. Also I selected the Auto 108 Mbps Mode which could be another reason for this.

I now have a very good connection to the Router from my room but the problem now is, the speed is very dodgy!

If I download a big file, it starts off by downloading at speeds of 1.6 megs, then with the blink of an eye it reduces to 1.2 megs and then onto 900KB and bit by bit, it goes down untill it reaches around 100 KB, where it decides to stay!

I dont understand why this is as I have a very good signal and it says I'm connected at 54 Mbps, yet only a 100?

The PC in the living room has no problems anymore or so I hope. It downloads at the speed it should and even P2P filesharing doesnt make the Router go all crazy on me!

Any info on how I can make my speed increase over a wireless connection would be much appreciated.

I've ordered a CAT6 Ethernet cable from ebay and I'm gona give that a go and see what happens. Will let you guys know.

Sorry its getting kinda long now so I'll end it here. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards.

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Ok heres the problem!

It may be the source server that is slowing down rather than your connection. Try it with a few other downloads and see if it is a general problem for you

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you're doing a "save link as" operation in a browser, the file is quietly downloaded in the background while you're deciding the file name. This means that when the clock starts you've already got some data so the rate appears higher than it should. gradually the rate calculator gets it's act together and the true speed is shown.

Anyway, my advice would be to login to the router (192.168.0.1 admin sky) and post your connection statistics on here for people to take a look at.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Guys, thanks for your reply.

dingdong, trust me, its not the servers, its definitely my wireless conection or a setting in my wireless conection. I've tried all the speed tests and even tried downloading dummy files which are big 50MB files and they download at around 100kb, but when I download the same dummy files in the living room PC with the ethernet cable, it downloads at around 850-900kb. A big difference.

My conection statistics are:

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 8096 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps

Hope this helps and I would definitely appreciate any feedback.

Regards.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, I think the statistics below is what you guys need.

Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 25.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db 13.0 db

Hughjarse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Youre never going to get the same download speed over wireless - it just has too many other factors affecting it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Ok heres the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Hughjarse View Post
      Youre never going to get the same download speed over wireless - it just has too many other factors affecting it.
      I was hoping that I would as I have a very good wireless conection to the Routher but it just wasnt to be!

The good news is that this morning I received my 20 metre Ethernet Cable and I conected with it to the Router and I had download speeds of up to 850Kbps which is just what I should be getting!

The only down side is that I had to drill through 2 walls to get the ethernet cable neatly conected from my room to the Router in the living room but its all done now. Now I need something to secure the wires on to the skirtings like those nails with plastic hooks on them or a stapler gun.

Wireless sucks and I'm just cheesed off that it didnt work for me.

Thanks guys for all your help nonetheless.

Regards.