Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line provided through fibre...?

This is a discussion on Line provided through fibre...? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I currently get by broadband through BT , and have obtained my MAC code with the intention of moving ...

Martinf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02380
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line provided through fibre...?

Hi

I currently get by broadband through BT, and have obtained my MAC code with the intention of moving to Sky. However, Sky have told me that the 'BT database' shows my line as being provided through fibre, so I can't have broadband. Obviously, this isn't the case, as BT seemed to provide ADSL with no problems!

My exchange (Chandlers Ford) has been unbundled, and Sky/Easynet show as being available.

Any suggestions on where I go from here, please?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      BWSB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Line provided through fibre...?

If it was me I would contact www.btwholesale.com direct,

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Line provided through fibre...?

Quote Originally Posted by BWSB View Post
      If it was me I would contact www.btwholesale.com direct,
      Probably a dumb question, but what should I ask them to do? The site looks like they would rather avoid calls from Joe Public - does anyone have a contact number?

Am I right to assume that I must be able to change my provider?

Thanks

BWSB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

look here BT Wholesale : Help Desk Numbers

loads of numbers

simple give them your phone number, tell them you wish to know can you get adsl2 on your current line

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I went back to BT (current provider, not wholesale), and spoke with someone who was extremely helpful - confirmed BT records that the line doesn't have fibre, and also checked with BT Wholesale. Wholesale put a 'dummy' order through with no problems, so all clear.

I then spoke with someone at Sky (is it me, or are they abrupt to the point of being rude?) who insisted the computer said no. He clearly didn't want to discuss further, so I spoke with a supervisor, who has taken details and escalated with BT Wholesale. More news expected within 48 hours!

Thanks for your help so far.

jasonshirt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wath
      Broadband ISP: conect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Matinf

I have the same issue. I am with Newnet at the moment and wanted to switch to Sky BBand. I had the same issue with the customer service person. I could not even give him my MAC code as the system would not take it due to an optical fibre line.

What is the best number for BT wholesale from the list?

I thought that Sky might have taken up this and contacted BT themselves, afterall they would be getting another subscriber.

How did you go on? Did you get it sorted?

Let me know who you spoke to in Sky/BT if you can.

Thanks
      Jason

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasonshirt View Post
      Hi Matinf

I have the same issue. I am with Newnet at the moment and wanted to switch to Sky BBand. I had the same issue with the customer service person. I could not even give him my MAC code as the system would not take it due to an optical fibre line.

What is the best number for BT wholesale from the list?

I thought that Sky might have taken up this and contacted BT themselves, afterall they would be getting another subscriber.

How did you go on? Did you get it sorted?

Let me know who you spoke to in Sky/BT if you can.
      I still haven't contacted BT wholesale myself yet - I spoke with a supervisor at Sky who promised to escalate the issue with them. I received a call within 48 hours, as promised, but unfortunately the advisor didn't know why he was calling me........

I repeated the explanation, and again he said he would refer back to BT wholesale. After all, the relationship is between them and as you say it would get them a customer. I really shouldn't feel like I have to push Sky to do this!

I'll give them a call again tomorrow and post an update. I know they will be experiencing high demand at the moment, but I've got to say that I'm not impressed with the customer service so far.....

jasonshirt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wath
      Broadband ISP: conect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Martin,

Thanks, likewise the level of competence at sky in all areas is diabolical. No-one seems to have any knowledge whatsoever.

This is a reply i have received from them this evening.

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting Broadband Technical Support.

To be able to receive Sky Broadband, you need to have a Copper line and not an Optical line.

As this is not a Sky issue, you will have to contact BT directly as it is their telephone line which runs from the exchange to your house.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Broadband Technical Support

Cannot get through to BT. Do you have the best number to contact them? Is it BT or BT Wholesale?

Wonder if anyone else has this issue.

I have even sent Sky my BT Wholsale availability checker results showing i can receive 1Mb D/L!

CHeers

Jase

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I actually sent BT an e-mail, and someone phoned me the next day. I've got to say, she was extremely helpful, and checked with BT wholesale while I waited on the line.

It's Sky Broadband who have the commercial relationship with BT Wholesale (the clue is in the name), so if BT have said the line isn't provided through fibre, my view is that it's down to Sky to sort with BT Wholesale - it seems they're not providing Sky with correct information.

Meanwhile, it seem that 'the computer says no' is the only response I can get from the Sky call centre :-(

To be honest, I don't think they deserve my money - but a saving of 108 a year (against BT's lowest offer) would be nice to have!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, I give up. I phoned Sky as they have failed to contact me, and spoke to someone else who was unable to deviate from their script. "If the computer says the line is provided through fibre, there's nothing we can do." Well, you could find out what BT Wholesale have to say about it, as they have told me that there is NO fibre on the line.

But no, I am supposed to go back to BT and ask them again. What's the point in all this? I know that Sky are offering some very competitive deals, but this is ridiculous - new customers turned away because they can't be bothered to iron out the flaws in their database.

I'll stay with BT, and least they make some attempt to provide customer service.