Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Given up Requested MAC code

This is a discussion on Given up Requested MAC code within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have requested a MAC now, Does anyone know whether I can expect this process to run smoothly (donít laugh) ...

dandilly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01225
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Given up Requested MAC code

I have requested a MAC now, Does anyone know whether I can expect this process to run smoothly (donít laugh) and how long it might take?

Looking forward to migrating to BT where I hope I don't experience such appalling support.
      The increase in price is a small price to pay for half way decent support.

I migrated on 22nd October and all seemed to go reasonably well.
      I couldn't log onto the website but that was soon sorted out after a call to the helpdesk.

I did notice I was still getting billed by Tiscali my previous ISP after calling them they said they had heard nothing from SKY to say they had taken over the Service. I called SKY and they said Tiscali were lying and had been doing so for hundreds of their cases. After numerous calls to both companies I eventually cancelled my DD and within a few days Tiscali wrote saying they would cancel my service.
      Low and behold I lost my service even though I had been logging on with SKY box and getting 8 meg compared to Tiscaliís 2 meg, that was on the 17th December.

I have to say Tiscali have offered me equally poor service and support in the past.
      So I thought this could be a Tiscali issue but SKYís failure to resolve the issue and completely inept handling of the issue has driven me to distraction.
      I have called SKY support every other day ever since 17th dec, they claim to be fixing it but I have failed to see a resolution of service. You can never get through to anyone who understands whatís wrong and how to fix it.

SKY obviously care little about my custom so I going somewhere where they hopefully do.
      I am also cancelling my TV service which I had no problem with but I am not giving these people any money after I have received such shabby treatment.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Given up Requested MAC code

Welcome to the site dandilly

Sorry to read your tail of woe and to be honest the cease for Tiscali is down to BT as that 2MB connection is on the BT IPStream and you were moving over to LLU and the MAC you supplied to SkyBB would have been passed to BT.

You are not the first person to fall foul of this problem and its always advisable to call the losing ISP and informing them that you have now moved, I know that no good to you now but you may want to keep this in mind if you move ISP's again.

As for a MAC from Sky its as much use to you as a chocolate fireguard as your on LLU there is at the moment no migration path back to IPStream.

Good luck with your move though.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

@Wheelie

Am I right in assuming that if / when you leave a LLU service you have to fully cancel your account & request that the provider place you back onto the BT DSLAM? Once that is done you are free to sign up with anybody & the process would be viewed as a completely new provision, pretty much like when we all first signed upto our first broadband provider (i.e. no MAC code involvement at all)

What say I wanted to leave Sky & defect to BE or another LLU provider? would that be a MAC code process?

I read about a potential Wiki on the site, maybe this topic would be good to cover (Migrations) as it can be a bit of a mine field if you have little experience

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At the moment that is the case though the rules for MAC Codes and migration are due to change on the 14th of Feb I believe though not sure how well it will work to start with only time will tell.

You can read more here Thinkbroadband
      Last edited by Wheelie; 09-01-07 at 08:34 PM.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Suffering Sam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 952
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good luck Dandilly. AT least another 30 days wait for De-tagging the line (thats if you are lucky)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just tried to cancel.
      They said I had to write a letter or email.
      The address they gave me broadbandcustomerservices@sky.com bounced back as un recognised.
      So I phoned again and was advised it would take at least 30 days.
      What on earth are they doing that takes 30 days?

After trying to get my broadband fixed I was expecting a fairly poor response time for my line to be de-tagged but this is pathetic. I had previously phoned BT Wholesale and they said to expect de-tagging to be completed within a 3-5 day window on my exchange.

It appears to me that work is batched up monthly by SKY if you need anything done in the exchange. So if its not sorted the first time you then wait another month.
      I am now told my service will be restored on 19th January. I am not holding my breath but its sooner than the de-tagging date. So I will wait until I have a service until I cancel.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You need to use BroadbandCustomerService @ BSkyB.com
      Ray

click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I emailed 'james.murdoch@bskyb.com' requesting some action and within a few hours received a reply from BroadbandCustomerService@BSkyB.com saying they would forward my case to the "Service recovery team".
      I have subsequently received an update saying Tiscali requested a cancellation and BT removed the SKY marker. This was what I suspected and had suggested this as a possible cause to SKY.
      Just waiting for my SKY marker to be re-applied.
      Still no broadband but I am happy now because at least someone is looking into my issue now, Its taken 4 weeks to get this point. There are broadband suppliers that guarantee 16 hour fault resolution on 8 meg for £17 per month after my experiance I thinks its worth the extra money. SKY has definately been a false economy in my experiance.

From my recent experiance I would suggest as others have here.

1. Tell your former ISP you have migrated (I did do this several times, but they did not take it onboard obviously, Tiscali have a infamously poor customer service as well).
      2. Ring the SKY freephone number 0800 512595 to save on expense as calls are often lengthy. Don't believe the b*****t they give you to try and get you to hang up. Refuse to hang up until you get a firm commitment or resolution.
      3. Escalate your issue by emailing BroadbandCustomerService@BSkyB.com
      or james.murdoch@bskyb.com.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well that is good news

At least its now moving forward for you good luck
      Ray

click here