Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

advice and info required

This is a discussion on advice and info required within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; could i have your comments and advice on the below please, its quite long, and it dose concern sky broadband, ...

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

advice and info required

could i have your comments and advice on the below please, its quite long, and it dose concern sky broadband, but im not sure if i should of posted it here.

been with tiscali for about 5 months on a 2mb connection, speed was perfect and no complaints there, even though there was some issues with other things.

tiscali then released 8mb, which as soon as it was availbe for me to upgrade i did (this was about 3 weeks ago) this is where the fun began.

before i upgraded to tiscali 8mb i did availability checks at samknows and bt wholesale, i was informed by these sites that my line would handle 8mb or higher, tiscalis site also confirmed a speed or 6.5 to 8mb ( i wish i had took screen shots)

so i clicked the upgrade button in the my account area of tiscali to select 8mb upgrade(this option to upgrade had not been there since i joined tiscali, and tiscali max 8b was only made availablle to me about a month ago, some people could recieve 8mb but not in my area.)

so the upgrade went through, came to connect one morning and i got the pop up baloon showing i was connected at 8.3 mb, brilliant i thought, so i did some speed checks (fullly aware of the 10 day stabalisation mode), the speed check came back at around the 2mb mark (i knew straight away that some thing was wrong) so time goes by and days pass all speed checks still at 2mb)

10 day period up - still only getting 2mb, started to post in tiscalis forum, eventualy informed my line could only handle 2mb! (for thoses of you that dont know, tiscali did not make the 8mb option available to custumers on lines that could not support 8mb untill work had been completed at the exhanges etc to enable them to have it, they then eventually got the exhanges ready and that allowed me to upgrade as it was supposodly available to me, infact tiscali posted a message stating somewhere that basicaly if you could not get 8mb upgrade option in your account area then it would not be made available to you)

i then check at bt and samknows and guess what? they now state that i can only get 2mb, tiscalis site states that 8mb is not available on my line!!! how did that happen in the space of 2 - 3 weeks.

A friend of mine also with tiscali, also upgraded to 8b about a week and half ago, now then, samknows and bt and tiscali state he can get 8mb on his line, he is connected to same exchange but lives further away! he is still on stablistation period, he however is having some luck as he is getting around the 3mb mark (not good but still in "learning mode") i have too screen shots of these sites saying he can get 8mb. so thats the first part whats your views on that.

now with all the above going on i requested my mac code and recieved it today.

I noticed on samknows that out of all the providers - sky is the only one to have there equipment in my exchange (been enabled about 4 months i think, tiscali do not have there equipment in my exchange)

im a sky customer and checked there website for details on bb services, i then notice the 16mb 10 per month deal. 16 mb on my line? impossible i thought. i then ran my tel number thought the availabilty checker, and it came back that i was in a 16mb area! i got straight on the phone to sky to ask if they could tell me what i could expect on my line, they came back and said that i was in the area and i could get the 16mb package if i wanted it, i said yes please (i dont expect to get 16mb of course 8 - 12mb would do me lol), so i gave my mac code and signed up, should go live within 10 days.

Now then do you think that i am going to get the 16mb or will they eventualy tell me in a months time after countless phone calls etc to customer services that they are sorry and all i can have is 2mb blah blah blah, or dose this equipment at my exchange work different to everyone elses? (remembering what happened with my time with tiscali in the past weeks/s)

could i have your comments on this please? or if you have any information?

many thanks
      Last edited by lee2007; 05-01-07 at 01:17 AM.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      im a sky customer and checked there website for details on bb services, i then notice the 16mb 10 per month deal. 16 mb on my line? impossible i thought. i then ran my tel number thought the availabilty checker, and it came back that i was in a 16mb area! i got straight on the phone to sky to ask if they could tell me what i could expect on my line, they came back and said that i was in the area and i could get the 16mb package if i wanted it, i said yes please (i dont expect to get 16mb of course 8 - 12mb would do me lol), so i gave my mac code and signed up, should go live within 10 days.
      I would be very surprised if you got 16mb unless you live in the exchange.

Have you tried your test socket behind the master socket?

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

This will normally give you the best stats available for your line.

If you can post your attenuation figures etc I am sure Saturday or someone else can give you a rough idea of what to expect

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers, no i dont expect to get 16mb nor did i expect 8 on tiscali, like i say i would be happy at 8 - 12 from sky if thats possible lol, i would of been happy at 5-7mb at tiscali.

will post some stats that come from my current connection with tiscali (remember im connecting at 8.3mb but only gettin 2mb downloads as per my first post)

from modem settings (tiscali supplied)

transmit rate - 448kbps
      recieve rate - 8032kbps
      crc - 9
      margin - changes to either 9 db to 10 db
      fec - 3519
      attenuation - 17db
      vid cpe - 28
      vid co - 0

vpi - 0
      vci - 38
      delineation - good

pc specs:

xp home fully updated
      avg virus fully updated
      mcafee firewall fully updated
      spyare and adaware checks run regulary

intel p4 3.4 ht 550
      1.5 gig ram
      256mb nividia 6600 graphics
      250g hd

using tiscali supplied modem, filtered no other phones or sockets in use

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: advice and info required

anybody else care to offer some input?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If that's your attenuation on ADSL Max then you certainly have the potential to get pretty close to 16 Mb on Sky ADSL2+

The Craig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Giffnock
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you have been informed by Sky that you can recieve 16 megs, then you can recieve 16 megs. As your order is processed, your line is checked and an estimated line speed is generated. The agent processing your order should of course confirm this to you.

Adder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lol...I'll have some of what your smoking please Craig
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 07-01-07 at 01:42 AM. Reason: removed quoted preceeding post

Suffering Sam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 952
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Craig on the PR payroll of Murdoh Empire. Anything SKY is gospel for him!