Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

only either just broadband or just phone working at any one time...pls help

This is a discussion on only either just broadband or just phone working at any one time...pls help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi guys. been having this problem for about a month now. broadband and phone cannot work simultaneously...its like dialup all ...

dsta8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry only either just broadband or just phone working at any one time...pls help

hi guys.

been having this problem for about a month now. broadband and phone cannot work simultaneously...its like dialup all over again! if i call sky they'll turn it on but phone goes out. at first phone was noisy, i was able to call out ok but could not accept calls in (getting network busy from my mobile). bt automatically detects problem and rectifies it. when this happens broadband goes off. i then call sky and report the problem. broadband goes on and phone is out...the last time broadband was working, phone was completely out. no dialtone at all. it rings when i try calling in, but thats it. at the moment phone's working ok now...BT said they cut broadband out to test it....off to sky again.

im getting thrown back and forth...what do i do!?!? i was told it has something to do with the exchange...then it's the PSTN(?) circuit?...no idea what they are. but according to BT it's all ok. obviously it's not. problem with Sky is that they ALWAYS refer you to BT's 0800800150 no, which is BT's phone line and not the ones that deal with ISPs...so that fault no only checks the phone side of things and not the broadband line....it seems like each is looking at the ends of two diff sticks!

really annoying. anyone out there have/had this problem? what should i do?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      From your description it is almost certainly an exchange problem (e.g. no dialing tone/BT detecting a problem) but there is a tiny chance that you may have a problem with your router or filters.

If you unplug your router from the phone socket is the phone then perfectly alright and if you unplug all phones is the broadband perfectly alright? If so then it could be the router or filters. The router is not so easy to check but the filters are.

Try unpluging every phone/digibox etc in the house except one connected via a microfilter. See if the phone/router works OK. If not swap the filter and try again. Try all your filters this way. If you find one gives problems but the other(s) don't then it is a filter problem. The only way to test the router would be to try another one.

I doubt this is the issue but it's worth a try.

dsta8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for the quick reply.

ive tried my old router (when phone is working) and no signal. also tried 4 other filters (phone/broadband working) but problem persists. tried plugging the phone direct without filter when broadband working, no dialtone. thanks for the adivise though.

im convinced that problem is elsewhere. if it is indeed with the exchange, is this an issue for Sky or BT? BT seems to think there's nothing wrong with the exchange...they suggest tell Sky to notify 'BT Wholesale'.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Two possibilities:

1. You have a faulty microfilter. Unplug EVERYTHING from your phone line and connect just the Broadband Box and a telephone via the same microfilter. Try swapping the microfilter if it still happens. If your main telephone socket has a groove accross it about 1/3 of the way down then unscrew the two screws and remove the lower 2/3. PLug the filter into the hidden socket behind and re-test.

2. If 1 doesn't solve it, then it looks like you are connected to faulty SKy equipment at the exchange (faulty tie pairs). From your description it sounds as if the splitter block could be faulty. You'll need to call or email customer support and *try* to get to Tier 3 who will be able to confirm this and order a tie pair shift.

... for point 1, remember that if you have any alarms connected to your phone line they must be filtered too!

EDIT: Sorry, I've just re-read your post. If the phone line is going completely dead when you get broadband, then call BT report it as a fult (so you lose BB but get a working phone line) and then contact customer support an tell them that BT have done a PSTN reversion because of faulty ties (changed it back to voice only). This is the key phrase to get a tie pair shift.
      Last edited by MrStabby; 04-01-07 at 09:33 PM.